Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2012???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

bren2001 wrote: »
    I dunno why they won't be at Oxegen, they are playing V this year....

I said there won't be one, not that they won't be there. Learn to read.
    Are you seriously trying to say Oasis arn't a worldwide success. Stereophonics were a huge band in O2, headlined Glastonbury that year. The Verve had just released Bittersweet Symphony and were a worldwide success (granted for 1 maybe 2 songs). Robbie Williams was a little bit strange.

Oasis weren't popular outside of UK/Ireland (at least not 80k popular) when they played Slane. Nowhere near. I have no idea what you're trying to say about the Stereophonics, but again, nobody cared about them outside of the British Isles. As for The Verve, one song being popular makes them World famous?
    Its a case of where the exception proves the rule. Generally over the years they are massive bands, The Rolling Stones, U2, RHCP, Byran Adams, REM, GnR, Queen. The list really goes on.

Please learn what "the exception that proves the rule" means, because you don't know.

Yes, huge bands have played Slane, but it's not because they are/were well known in Asia or Australia that they played, it's because they were capable of selling enough tickets in Ireland to turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

I would of thought that trained personnel would of controlled the removal better.

Maybe that would have happened if the personel were actually trained!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭bren2001

karaokeman wrote: »
    Snow Patrol won't be playing Oxegen next year as (like Coldplay) their touring plans finish in the autumn. Would like to see the two do a co-headline as I'm not 100% either would sell it out.

Oasis would be in the same boat as Robbie Williams because he has broken everywhere except for North America. People can say all they like about Rob, but if you look at his past tour you will see he played stadiums of 60,000 etc in South America and everywhere else, there were some planned for Asia too but they were cancelled, and he has also sold 70 million records worldwide.

The Killers and Green Day are all likely candidates for Oxegen (or whatever its rebranded as next year).

I quite like Robbie, I was at Take That in Croker. Didn't know he sold that much worldwide, still think he was a little bit strange for Slane, same way Madonna was even tho she was huge.

Can't see Green Day at Oxegen, would really like it. Killers 3rd time at Oxegen, wouldn't shock me at all, in fact its a hell of a lot more likely than Slane.
    I said there won't be one, not that they won't be there. Learn to read.

Oasis weren't popular outside of UK/Ireland (at least not 80k popular) when they played Slane. Nowhere near. I have no idea what you're trying to say about the Stereophonics, but again, nobody cared about them outside of the British Isles. As for The Verve, one song being popular makes them World famous?

Please learn what "the exception that proves the rule" means, because you don't know.

Yes, huge bands have played Slane, but it's not because they are/were well known in Asia or Australia that they played, it's because they were capable of selling enough tickets in Ireland to turn a profit.

Thanks for your insight into wether there will be an Oxegen next year, I personally think it will be back.

I've enrolled in a reading course so I don't misread your posts in future, I'm trying my best. English is only my first language.

No need for the personal attacks, I understand exactly what the exception proves the rule means and only misread your post. Your completely entitled to your view on music. I dont think Snow Patrol are big enough to do Slane, never said they wouldn't sell it out. And yes, one song being popular does make them World famous, its the idea of a worldwide hit which Bittersweet Symphony was. But hey, thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Oasis weren't popular outside of UK/Ireland (at least not 80k popular) when they played Slane. Nowhere near.
    er, what? :confused:
    they had sold out stadiums throughout the world multiple times over for 15 years when they played Slane.

I can only assume you must be talking about when they were a support band for REM, which is a pretty stupid point to be making as people are clearly talking about headliners here.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

er, what? :confused:
    they had sold out stadiums throughout the world multiple times over for 15 years when they played Slane.

Oasis sold out slane before but it dosnt matter because they don't exists anymore there Noel's High Flying Birds lol

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

T.C.O.B wrote: »
    Maybe that would have happened if the personel were actually trained!

ehhh relevance???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I quite like Robbie, I was at Take That in Croker. Didn't know he sold that much worldwide, still think he was a little bit strange for Slane, same way Madonna was even tho she was huge.

No I know that because I remember you from the Take That thread, my comment was there because most people who get onto the topic of Robbie playing Slane will go on about how that was when they gave up on Slane. I'd probably agree he's not what Henry would usually book, but Robbie was massive at the time and (unlike Westlife/Boyzone) has a large male following.
    Can't see Green Day at Oxegen, would really like it. Killers 3rd time at Oxegen, wouldn't shock me at all, in fact its a hell of a lot more likely than Slane.

I could see Green Day play Oxegen again, it will probably be themselves, The Killers and one headliner who has never headed Oxegen before.

If they are doing an outdoor leg of Europe next summer, Phoenix Park is out of the way, seen as how the events of the SHM concert will make it harder for them to get a license and book more gigs there, unless they play Marlay Park again, there's no other Dublin venues they could play as they would all be too big (Aviva, Croker, RDS etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

karaokeman wrote: »
    I'd probably agree he's not what Henry would usually book, .
    i don't think he actually books anyone. my understanding is he rents the land to MCD. they do everything else, including picking the artists.

Advertisement