Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male vs female nutrition on the bike

Options
  • 09-07-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

Yesterday as usual the commentator- in a patronizing way - said that females carry so much more nutrition on the bike than the guys.
    I wonder are those people aware that females also hit the wall way less often than the guys?

whats better a clean bike or a good run ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

peter kern wrote: »
    Yesterday as usual the commentator- in a patronizing way - said that females carry so much more nutrition on the bike than the guys.
    I wonder are those people aware that females also hit the wall way less often than the guys?

Clean bike... style always wins Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

first of the bike dot com it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Can you not have both?

I guess it depends on your nutrition needs. if you are easy with the food that's provided yes.
    But the question is more does it really justify to safe 3 min on the bike taking the risk to lose 15- 45 min on the run.
    And does fumbling at aid stations to catch powerbars that are cut in one thirds, slow you more down than having the food on the bike and you can take it on whenever you want.
    and you can focus on aidastations on wavering cyclists rather than trying to catch the food ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I felt way overloaded in Barcelona last year compared to most people around me. I brought all my nutrition with me as I had used it in training and didn't want to risk what the aid stations were handing out. Hence my bike was probably like one of the ladies ones that the commentators referred to. I only took water at aid stations and it certainly made life easier and was one less thing to worry about. When I go long again I'll be doing the same thing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I brought my own food because I don't like those standard powerbars and I wanted to use what I had trained with anyway. And in my case extra food with me on the bike was the least of my issues. It was my first time on a long race so I think a bit of overkill is to be expected when dealing with an unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

My current thinking is better to have what you need, than to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Better looking at it than for it.

Oryx wrote: »
    I brought my own food because I don't like those standard powerbars and I wanted to use what I had trained with anyway. And in my case extra food with me on the bike was the least of my issues. It was my first time on a long race so I think a bit of overkill is to be expected when dealing with an unknown.

one of the bikes they made fun of was the girl that won the race and was 16th overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

what race?

• Advertisement

frankfurt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

one of the bikes they made fun of was the girl that won the race and was 16th overall.

How do you watch them Peter? Is it via satellite or a feed streaming via the internet?

It was on Ironmanlive.com stream since the german tv (hr3) had live cover. And roth was on german tv live too (bayern 3 )

1 bike company must have been happy since they had 3 out of 4 winners on their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

jeez foolish commentators..how can someone slag caroline steffen..she
    went 8 52...she is some machine...

Advertisement