Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other ways of getting P45? Help desperately needed.

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys,

On May 4th of this year, I was let go of my job. It was only a contract position, which I acquired through a recruitment agency, and as such I was given not a second of notice (indeed, I did not learn that I had lost my job until I returned to work Tuesday 8th of May, after a bank holiday, and was told, word-for-word, "make sure you take all your stuff because you won't be coming back.")

While I was angry and upset enough about suddenly becoming unemployed, what is worse is that over two months have gone by, and despite applying for dozens of jobs, I am still unemployed and have not received a cent of dole. The reason being that my former employers, the recruitment agency, have ignored every request I have made for a P45.

Having tried calling, texting and emailing them several times, they refuse to deal with me. Surely this must be illegal!

I have rang Revenue and asked them to get on to my former employers, but they work at a lethargic pace, opting to post a letter and wait 3-4 weeks for a reply(!) before calling or emailing!

I have also given their phone number to someone in the Social Welfare Office, who has tried ringing but, apparently, my former employers voicemail inbox is full and they never answer their phone.

It seems there is no end to this. Weeks go by, while I look for work, but I do not have any weekly income to survive on. I am reduced to eating into my meagre savings or borrowing money. Thankfully, I am a single male, without a partner or children, otherwise I don't know what I would have done to have to make ends meets.

My questions are

(a) How else can I get a P45? Is there somewhere online I can request one? I think there is, but I believe you need your Employer Reference Number (ERN) which I do not have.

(b) Is there anyone I can complain to about my former employers complete refusal to help me out in any way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try citizen's information, they may be able to get thru to the employer.

Also, try your Community Welfare Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're not concerned about a reference, then arrive into the workplace and refuse to leave until they hand you a P45.

Take a good book with you and sit in their reception.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

seamus wrote: »
    If you're not concerned about a reference, then arrive into the workplace and refuse to leave until they hand you a P45.

Take a good book with you and sit in their reception.

No, go to the client's premises and start using Twitter!!! If it only a few months ago the chances are good that the agency is still waiting for a final payment on that account.... And I would stay there until I got the p45 plus two salary as notice....

As my old accounting professor used to say: hanging concentrates the mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi guys,

On May 4th of this year, I was let go of my job. It was only a contract position, which I acquired through a recruitment agency, and as such I was given not a second of notice (indeed, I did not learn that I had lost my job until I returned to work Tuesday 8th of May, after a bank holiday, and was told, word-for-word, "make sure you take all your stuff because you won't be coming back.")

While I was angry and upset enough about suddenly becoming unemployed, what is worse is that over two months have gone by, and despite applying for dozens of jobs, I am still unemployed and have not received a cent of dole. The reason being that my former employers, the recruitment agency, have ignored every request I have made for a P45.

Having tried calling, texting and emailing them several times, they refuse to deal with me. Surely this must be illegal!

I have rang Revenue and asked them to get on to my former employers, but they work at a lethargic pace, opting to post a letter and wait 3-4 weeks for a reply(!) before calling or emailing!

I have also given their phone number to someone in the Social Welfare Office, who has tried ringing but, apparently, my former employers voicemail inbox is full and they never answer their phone.

It seems there is no end to this. Weeks go by, while I look for work, but I do not have any weekly income to survive on. I am reduced to eating into my meagre savings or borrowing money. Thankfully, I am a single male, without a partner or children, otherwise I don't know what I would have done to have to make ends meets.

My questions are

(a) How else can I get a P45? Is there somewhere online I can request one? I think there is, but I believe you need your Employer Reference Number (ERN) which I do not have.

(b) Is there anyone I can complain to about my former employers complete refusal to help me out in any way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

To answer your questions:
    A. You can't get a P45 online. A P45 can be filed online by your ex employer. A hardcopy must then be provided to you by that ex employer. Since the employer is the only one who knows your pay and tax details they are the only ones who can file it.
    Revenue unfortunately do not have the resources to force every reluctant employer to abide by the PAYE regulations in live situations like yours. It may be that your complaints about your ex employer lead to some sort of investigation of the employer but at the end of the day unfortunately its just a low priority for the moment hence the letter sent to the ex employer requesting the P45 to be filed.

You may wish to try NERA for further assistance.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

Advertisement