Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Card

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the fees and charges for the VISA Debit card, just curious what is the "Current account transaction fee"?

Also in the case of purchasing goods online, when is the fee taken? Is it when payment is taken for the goods?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Also wondering what the fees for say spending 100 euro would be?

what are the existing costs now for spending the 100euro on laser

also if i spend 100 and get 50euro cashback what are the charges for the two payment methods above?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Short answer is you will be paying more... much more.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/10m-hit-for-shoppers-in-switch-to-visa-3041647.html
    Retailers said the move from Laser to Visa debit cards would mean an average rise in the cost of card transactions of 40pc -- and this would be passed on to consumers....

He said the switch from Laser to Visa debit cards would mean the costs for retailers would shoot up from 8c to €1 on a €100 transaction.

Mr Fitzsimons said some of the cost was being imposed by banks that process the payments. But the majority of cost was what is called the interchange fee, which is imposed by Visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi All,

Thanks for your queries.
    I was looking at the fees and charges for the VISA Debit card, just curious what is the "Current account transaction fee"?

Also in the case of purchasing goods online, when is the fee taken? Is it when payment is taken for the goods?

A current account transaction fee is a charge applied to your account for each transaction on your account. The charge is currently 28c per transaction and fees are posted to your account at the end of each fee quarter.

We also have a No Transaction Fees Offer, see below;
    There are two ways to qualify for our No Transaction Fees Offer:

1) Lodge €3000 into your account (but you do not have to maintain it) AND make 9 debit payments using Banking365 phone or Banking365 online services.
    OR
    2) Maintain a €3000 credit balance in the account for the full quarter.

The fee quarter dates for 2012 are as follows:
    Quarter 1 begins 21st of Nov 2011 until 17th of Feb 2012
    Quarter 2 begins 20th of Feb 2012 until 18th of May 2012
    Quarter 3 begins 21st of May 2012 until 17th of Aug 2012
    Quarter 4 begins 20th of Aug 2012 until 16th of Nov 2012
    Also wondering what the fees for say spending 100 euro would be?

what are the existing costs now for spending the 100euro on laser

also if i spend 100 and get 50euro cashback what are the charges for the two payment methods above?

The current account transaction fee is per transaction rather than the amount of the transaction. If you were to withdraw €100 in one amount, you are only charged one fee. When you get cashback, this is part of the one transaction so you are only charged one transaction fee and it helps save on current account fees. There has been no change to our current account transaction fees with the introduction of the new Visa Debit card.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Thanks
    Tara

Thanks. Is there any difference to charges if I have a student account (current)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi deadanonymau5,

There are no quarterly current account transaction fees on 3rd level student current accounts. You can get a full list of charges here.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Hi deadanonymau5,

There are no quarterly current account transaction fees on 3rd level student current accounts. You can get a full list of charges here.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks Linda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alma N

i was just wondering two things is a visa debit card and the second question i want to know is i never applied for a visa debit card but one was sent for me in the post from bank of ireland i was wondering why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alma N

hi i have two questions the first question is a visa debit card the same as a laser card and the second question is why did i get a visa debit card from bank of ireland when i never asked for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Alma N,

Thanks for getting in touch. The Visa Debit is a debit card like a Laser card but with some added benifits. We've had a similar query previously.
    There is no change to the terms and conditions of your current account. The same fees and charges that applied to your Laser card will apply to your Visa Debit card.

The reason Bank of Ireland is changing to Visa Debit cards is that customers have greater security and more places that their card can be used. Many customers have been asking for some time when we will be issuing Visa Debit cards for the added advantages and this year we have commenced the roll out to replace Laser cards which will be complete at the end of September.

Please see here for added information.
    There's

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else we can do for you just let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement