Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #79

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here the latest Album of the Week. Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. Here's the breakdown of the votes. As usual, only albums with more than one vote are listed. This week we had a nostalgia-powered landslide victory for Sinner by Drowning Pool.

Band|Album|Votes
    Drowning Pool|Sinner|6
    Death|Symbolic|3
    Deicide|Legion|2

Since Bodies is probably their best known song I went looking for other videos just to be different. I've never seen this video for the song Sinner before:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My first exposure to Drowning Pool was via some Californian radio stations. I worked as a furniture mover over there (co-incidentally for a company based in Dublin :))between June and October of 2001. The vans and trucks used to cover quite a lot of ground driving between San Francisco and Oakland primarily but also as far north as Sacramento and east to Stockton. I used to love the longer journeys because I still got paid even if I was sat in a truck waiting to get to a destination :). Anyway Bodies was one song that got regular airtime and it was quite a lot of fun driving along the freeway singing along to it.

It's been a long time since I've listened to this album end-to-end but it's definitely one that brings back a lot of memories and I think it still stands up as a high quality release today. Thankfully Drowning Pool were never saddled with the negative connotations that some people attach to the nu-metal tag so I think they are a good example to younger metal fans that not everthing that came out in 2001 jumped on the Limp Bizkit band wagon.

It's hard to know where they could have gone had Dave Williams not passed away. Would they have had too much pressure on them to produce a follow-up of similar quality and instead attracted the kind of criticism that Papa Roach did for example or would they have soldiered on and done their own thing like Korn?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Drowning Pool Sinner 2
    Death Symbolic 3
    Deicide Legion 2

Landslide? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thank you for proving that at least one person other than me reads those tables :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Great choice this for AOTW.

Brings back a lot of good memories and definitely an album that stands the test of time. Dave's voice bridged the gap between Melodic and Heavy just right; I personally believe he would have been the natural successor to Phil Anselmo (if you get my drift).

Solid backing band as well, they were tight as a drum.

Sinner was probably my favourite track on the album; but LTBHTF is just a stone cold classic metal song.

Not one bad track on the album.

Real pity Dave died, could have been one of the greats IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

An album I really enjoyed when it came out, and it is still a great cd to chuck on when driving.

As I mentioned in the voting thread, Dave's voice clinches it for me and it is a shame we never got to hear him on later DP albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Malice wrote: »
    Thank you for proving that at least one person other than me reads those tables :).
    It was all just a test, isn't that right? :pac:

Good win for Sinner, although I voted for Symbolic you can't really argue with the amount of votes Drowning Pool got here, pointing toward a deserved AOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Dave Williams' voice is a thrill to listen to, the album is a belter from start to finish with not a skippable track on there.

I distinctly remember an occurrence where I was sitting on the bus listening to Sinner on my Discman around 2001, and a random fellow that was sitting across from me tapped me on the shoulder to ask the name of a song he overheard. The song was 'Bodies' and he exited the bus delighted in being reminded of its name. It seems Dave Williams' voice had unknowingly shrilled throughout the bus from my earphones.

I stuck the album on for the first time in years after voting for it in AotW. It reminds me of summertime when I was about 16 and listening to that wave of popular nu-metal that got released back then. Although some may scoff at that period in metal, they're great memories for me. And those albums served as the starting point for the heavier and more extreme metal I listen to today.

Advertisement