Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Has to be hurling, the speed and skill is unrivaled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Tennis was played at the Olympics until 1924, then reinstituted in 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I love the mountains. I've been skiing a few time's & it is excellent but only get/afford to ski a few days a year - it's a great holiday, everyone should try it once. Closer to home taking 3/4 hours, a picnic and a camera on a good hike is a great way to spend a rare sunny day.

Running/Jogging is my favourite way of keeping fit, just put on a pair of shorts, t-shirt & half decent runners, then stick in your headphones & your ready to go. it's easy to set your own personal goals - run to a certain distance or run for a certain length of time & you get to explore your local area.

But the activity I most often take part in is one that I am sure will be an Olympic event one day is....

The 1km rush to work
    there are rules...
      Entrants need to have just woken up when they begin the event.
    • Entrants have 20 minutes to complete the event from the time their foot touches the floor when getting out of bed.
    • Only "office attire" may be worn (including shoes), coats/jackets must be worn if raining.
    • Participants must also bring their Phone, Keys and Wallet. Participants who do not have any of these items with them when they reach the finish line will be excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I recently heard Micheal O'Muircheartaigh tell a story of two Irishmen who won medals in the first ever revived Olympic Games in Athens - one palyed Tennis for England. The guy, from Capel St in Dublin, was an Oxford student on holiday in Greece at the time of the games and entered and participated for England because of course Ireland was not recognized as Ireland at the time. The other guy represented the U.S. as triple jump athlete AFAIK. Good story and storyteller!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

My favourite sport to watch in the olympics is the BMX cross...I've just bought a bike :)

[I dont know what a tracker mortgage is.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

In February of 1987 I took the opportunity to run a lap of the original stadium at Olympia in Greece.
    But I kept my clothes on!
    When the original Olympics were held athletes were required to participate in the nude.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

There were only two years between the 1904 and the 1906 Olympic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

My favourite sport is skydiving and keep fit activity is mountaineering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Jack B. Yeates won a silver medal in the 1924 olympics in Paris for painting with 'Liffey Swim'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaryHB

Hi electric Ireland

I love walking, I walk with a group and we do four miles every Tuesday I also walk on my own at least three other days of the week. I really admire the professional walkers, that is a really tough sport. Maybe if i keep trying I will be able to compete (well at a local level) and win a medal (ok, maybe a small medal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Love walking in the evenings. Great way to keep in shape and to clear my head and unwind a little after a stressful day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

An Olympic rower will go into anaerobic exercise on the very first stroke of the race, and will very often rip all the ligaments from his/her arm due to pulling so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Favourite Olympic sport has to be Beach Volley Ball - however I'm not sure how the ratings will fare out this year as female beach volleyball players can now wear shorts and sleeved tops :(

Suppose all we can hope for is a heat wave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

favorite keep fit activity is walking

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dglfellah40

My favourite bit of exercise is going out to sea in my kayak, a test of nerve and relaxing at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

i love cycling, nothing better than setting out on a saturday/sunday morning for a long cycle. clears the head and great excercise.

its costing Britain 9.298 billion pounds to host the olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

My favourite Olympic sport has to be the Boxing (male & female this time), and hopefully this year we will do as well as people are hoping. C'Mon Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mags1076

The five Olympic rings represent the five major regions of the world – Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceana, and every national flag in the world includes one of the five colors, which are (from left to right) blue, yellow, black, green, and red.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PatB71

Eric Moussambani Malonga (born May 31, 1978) is a swimmer from Equatorial Guinea. Nicknamed "Eric the Eel" by the media after the name first appeared in an article by Craig Lord in The Times newspaper in London, Moussambani won brief international fame at the 2000 Summer Olympics when he swam his heat of the 100 m freestyle in 1:52.72. His time was more than twice that of his faster competitors, and outside even the 200 m world record. However, he set a new personal best and Equatoguinean national record.
    Moussambani gained entry to the Olympics without meeting the minimum qualification requirements via a wildcard draw designed to encourage developing countries without expensive training facilities to participate. While Pieter van den Hoogenband set a world record of 47.84 seconds to win the gold medal, Moussambani splashed his way to the finish to the cheers of the crowd in slightly more than twice that time (1:52.72). "The last 15 metres were very difficult," Moussambani said. However, because the other two swimmers in his heat false-started, and were thus disqualified, he won the heat. Before coming to the Olympics, Moussambani had never seen a 50 m (160 ft) long Olympic-size swimming pool. He took up swimming only eight months before the Olympics and had practiced in a 20 m (66 ft) pool at a hotel in Malabo.

Moussambani was denied entry into the 2004 Olympic Games due to a visa bungle, despite the vast improvement in his swimming over the previous four years, with his personal best down to under 57 seconds.
    In March 2012 he was appointed coach of the national swimming squad of Equatorial Guinea.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqI8xwXVac

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

Prior to the advent of sexual verification tests, German athlete Dora Ratjen competed in the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin and placed fourth in the women's high jump. She later competed and set a world record for the women's high jump at the 1938 European Championships before tests by the German police concluded that she was actually a man who then took the name Heinrich Ratjen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kerrylady

The 1956 Olympics were Ireland’s most successful with five medals

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I love swimming. It really clears the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

As professional boxing is banned in Cuba, the country has dominated the amatuer ranks.

Cuba's Olympic medal tally in boxing is an amazing 89!

32 Gold, 30 Silver and 27 Bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I'm not quite sure how the tennis players who take part manage to fit in under the "amateur" rules, considering many of them will have just won loads of money at Wimbledon, but they make for some good watching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laurenm182

Ghandi covered the 1932 olympic games as a newspaper reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Richard CarolanX

Women were first allowed to participate in 1900 at the second modern Olympic Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

jim_bob wrote: »
    Henry “Bobby” Pearce... An Olympic rower paused during a race to let a family of ducks pass in front of his boat
    And still won the race.

Now gimmie my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

jonomartin wrote: »
    Roughly 3,600g of gold worth more than $193,250 will be used to plate the medals that will be awarded at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

You mean the medals are made of real gold and not just painted gold?!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CBLFC96

Norway has won the most medals (263) at the Winter Games.
    The United States has won more medals (2,189) at the Summer Games than any other country.

Three continents – Africa, South America, and Antarctica – have never hosted an Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 rmcrawte

Always love Gymnastics in the Olympics as it really pushes what the human body can do physically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement