Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

In the 1948 Olympics in London, Mick Jagger's father played cricket for the English team. Just a little fact there

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

James B. Connolly (United States), winner of the hop, step, and jump (the first final event in the 1896 Olympics), was the first Olympic champion of the modern Olympic Games

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patrick_mooney

With the Olympics in the air, i know im not at their standard, but from 3 years ago being a total couch potato to a casual walker, to a fast walker and on to jogging and running in the last year. I feel like an olympian when im out jogging, but wouldnt like to go against The Famous Bolt, but maybe if there were a couch potato olympics i might be a gold medalist in that. Feeling fab and not flab, go olympics 2012!!

Collette, mum of four, no longer a couch potatoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭7daze

Judo, great sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tcnoggin

Shun Fujimoto a chinese gymnast continued to compete in the 1976 olympics with a broken knee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

The Olympics once lasted 187 days. In 1908, the London Olympics went on for 187 days... they started in April and didn't end until October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

The Jamaican bobsled team never won a medal in any of the olympics .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The opening round of the 1908 London Olympics Tug of War featured two Cousins from Bohola Co. Mayo on opposing teams.

The legendary Martin Sheridan was on the American team while Jim Clarke togged out for the Liverpool Police (representing Britain).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElBloom

My favourite sport is tennis, its great to play and watch - exciting, fun challenging. Favourite keep fit activity is sex! (for obvious reasons!!)
    Fact - Tennis was not always a racket sport, it was initially played with your hands!
    I'd love to win this camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 lorcafan

Walking does it for me. I've time to enjoy the scenery, smell the roses, meet friends and think while improving my health (lowering blood pressure and cholesterol) and it costs nothing (unless I meet my son on his walk).

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Dancing - it may not be a sport as such but it keeps me very fit and I find the music itself very therapeutic = )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Amaral

Swimming, especially in the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

The first opening ceremonies were held during the 1908 Olympic Games in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

James B. Connolly (United States), winner of the hop, step, and jump (the first final event in the 1896 Olympics), was the first Olympic champion of the modern Olympic Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Favourite keep fit has to be swimmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Frank Keeping and Edward Battell who won silver and bronze for GB in the cycling events at the 1896 Athens Olympics were originally servants at the British Embassy and were drafted in to fill out the field at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭TheCatsMeow

Nastia Liukin who won a gold medal in gymnastics at the 2008 Olympics own father won a gold medal in gymnastics 20 years earlier at the 1988 Olympic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

This is an interesting fact, read about it around the time of the Beijing Olympics.

As Ireland was still under British rule during the 1908 olympics, 'Ireland' was not represented. However the British were really worried about revolt the offical entry for that Olympics, the name of the competing nation was changed to 'Great Britain/Ireland'. The Irish athletes were allowed to compete representing Ireland in two events, polo and another one that I can't remember, but in any case they actually won medals in both events.

It's a fairly notable acheivement IMO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Zumba is my fitness craze at the minute. Looking forward to watching the olympics. And Cian O Connor no cheating this time please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

like getting out for a walk, run or cycle....or a kick about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Archery first appeared in the Olympics in 1900 in Paris, the second ever Olympic games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

As all my sporting facts seem to be already covered heres an Olympics fact...

The Olympic torch relay was first instituted as part of the modern games by the German Nazi party to promote the aryan race on an international stage.

Source
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7330949.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daveraff

In the ancient times, the gold medals awarded in Olympic Games were made completely out of pure gold. The last Olympic gold medal (made of pure gold) was awarded way back in 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Cycling! With so many scenic areas around Ireland it makes the perfect pastime for all kinds of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

The youngest confirmed Olympic medalist is Greek gymnast Dimitrios Loundras (born on September 4, 1885), who competed in the 1896 Athens Olympics. He received a bronze medal in a team event (on 9 April 1896) at 10 years 218 days.

Oscar Swahn is the oldest Olympic medalist, winning a silver medal in 1920 when he was 72 years, 281 days old. Overall Swahn won 6 medals in a shooting sport called "running deer." in appearances at the 1908, 1912, and 1920 Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

Cycling - the smell of exhaust fumes in the air; the fear of what rabid dog will come out of the gate ahead; pedestrians wandering across the road like a scene from The Walking Dead.

Ah bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

I was never a fan of boxing until Katie Taylor burst on the scene. I admire her as a dignified ambassador for the sport and for Ireland and wish her the very best in London 2012 Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Favourite current activities are walking and swimming, not that I have a choice mind you as these are forced upon me as I'm currently rehabbing (if that's even a word) a fully blown out knee :( looking forward to the basketball in the Olympics though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Cycling ftw.

And the funniest thing that I recall seeing in relation to the Olympics was when BBC reporter and former athlete Steve Parry was mistaken for Michael Phelps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7R8GR7IEQ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement