Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

A record 202 countries participated in the 2004 Olympic Summer Games in Athens.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭patspost

Favourite sport is cycling, its a great buzz, not quiet up to olympic standard yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

The Tug of War, a version of which was part of the Ancient Greek Games, was competed for on five occasions, between 1900 and 1920.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legendredhead

My favorite sport is Muay Thai because it's intense
    Like camping... Really In-tents
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Pole dancing could soon be an olympic sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

All the Olympic facts!! I got nothing (am too lazy to check up for one :P) but I will say I canni wait for the swimming and the gymnastic events at the Olympics. I love to swim and I always would have liked to do some form of gymnastics

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

Why do dogs have wet noses?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

At the 1936 Berlin Olympics, two Japanese pole vaulters who had tied for second place simply refused to participate in a tie-breaker. Instead, they cut their medals in half and fused them to one another so that each 'winner' ended up with a half-silver, half-bronze, medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Favourite activity is karate. I like how you can defend yourself with such an art-like style*

*Though I'm nothing like in the movies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

FAVOURITE ACTIVITY IS BOXING, Come on Team Ireland:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

The gold medal was last made entirely of gold in 1912

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

When choosing locations for the Olympic Games, the IOC specifically gives the honour of holding the Games to a city rather than a country. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

my favourite way of keeping fit is jumping around with my little boy to europop on youtube, :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Love all the track events. Bring on the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

1936 Berlin Olympics was the first and only time that aircraft competing in an aerobatics competition featured in the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I find the last minute dash to the train station in the mornings before work keeps me fairly trim.

GO KATIE TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ireland's greatest sportsperson

• Registered Users Posts: 3 haight ashbury

The literal translation of the word "gymnasium" is "school for naked exercise." Athletes in the ancient Olympic Games would participate in the nude

Now...giz a camera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

At the age of 4 "Wilma Rudolph" had the disease of polio. Due to her determination and her mothers perseverance Wilma was able to fight out of polio. She first qualified for the 1956 Melbourne olympics where she won her first bronze medal in the 400 meters relay. Then in 1960 Rome Olympics she set a world record in 200 meters race and won the gold for the same. In the same games she also won the gold medal for 100 meters race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karl76

My favourite keep fit sport has to be Ultimate Frisbee! It'll keep you in shape and it's always a laugh.

Interesting fact: The Olympics have never been held in the Southern Hemisphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

I'm looking forward to the triathlon events in London 2012 - go on Team Ireland! Open water swimming is not only a brilliant way of keeping fit but helps you appreciate how beautiful Ireland is too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I played against Ireland's first badminton Olympian, Scott Evans when I was younger, got destroyed, but it's all good now that he's pro! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭blondiexox

My favourite keep fit sport is horseriding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Olympic Fact
    The Special Olympics 2003 in Ireland, were the First Ever Special Olympics to be Held outside teh USA.
    Other fact, I was a Volunteer and it was an enjoyable experience.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Cycling. Nothing better than you versus the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The American synchronised swimmers had a pre-Olympic trials camp in the NAC in Blanchardstown. Unfortunately the full team didn't make it through :( just a duo.

They did a display in aid of the Temples street childrens hospital and they were amaaaazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Willard

I have a strange mixture of favourite sports; Taekwondo & road cycling.
    interesting fact: Taekwondo was demonstrated at the opening ceremony of the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, since then it has went on to become the most popular martial art in the world & in the 2000 Olympics it became an official Olympic sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

The last Olympic gold medals that were made entirely out of gold were awarded in 1912

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Marathon training for the DCM at the moment. That's keeping me going!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The first 'Irish' winner of an Olympic medal was the painter Jack B. Yeats. He won a silver medal in the Arts category during the 1924 Paris Olympics for his painting of the Liffey Swim, just 2 years after the foundation of the Free State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The Olympics are great. Fact.
    I love swimming with my kids, best exercise ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement