Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoincd

My favorite Olympic fact: "The winner of the marathon at the 1904 Olympic Games, Fredrick Lorz, cheated by going most of the way by car."

also, in the same event that year:
    "Fourth place was given to a Cuban postman, Felix Carbajal, despite him falling ill after eating some rotten apples. Len Tau, one of the first black competitors in the Olympics, came ninth despite being chased a mile out of his way by a dog."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bagoftaytos

Cycling all the way, flying through Dublin, up into the Phoenix Park, zip through the woods and back down the main road of the park. Great fun altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Favourite activity: Cycling down Three Rock Mountain on a forest path, having taken a slight diversion on my morning commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoincd

My favorite Olympic fact: "The winner of the marathon at the 1904 Olympic Games, Fredrick Lorz, cheated by going most of the way by car."

also, in the same event that year:
    "Fourth place was given to a Cuban postman, Felix Carbajal, despite him falling ill after eating some rotten apples. Len Tau, one of the first black competitors in the Olympics, came ninth despite being chased a mile out of his way by a dog."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

The first opening ceremonies were held during the 1908 Olympic Games in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jim Aurora

The 1956 Olympics were Ireland’s most successful with five medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Fox tossing was a popular sport in 17th and 18th century in Europe that involved tossing foxes and other live animals as high as possible into the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

The oldest ever medallist was Oscar Swahn (Sweden) in 1920, who was 72 when he won a Silver medal in shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Women were first allowed to participate in 1900 at the second modern Olympic Games. In the Ancient Olympic Games, women were forbidden to take part. Married women were not admitted even as spectators, let alone as competitors on pain of death.

The penalty for women who broke the rule- to be thrown from a nearby cliff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 itsmytime

I love running. I was useless when I first started and it was such a struggle. But once I got fitter and faster the sence of achievement was amazing. I run now everyday and upping the distance all the time. It gives me time to clear my head and think about everything. Work can be so stressful and running helpe me cope with all the stress. Recently I brought my camera with me and stopped for a breather and took some pictures of the amazing woodland around me. Wow is all I can say. I sent one pic off to be put on canvas and it proudly hangs now in my living room. Everytime I see this picture I see how far I have come and how much better my life is now since taking up running.

I try to encourage all my friends and family now to try running and am so happy that some have taken it up and I see them out on the roads now running.

Even its a small change you can make for the good, then make it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The United States have won the most medals at the Summer Games (over 2,190) and Norway have won the most at the Winter Games (over 265)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mgkonline

the most unusual fact about the olympics i've heard was about Dublin born John Pius Boland who competed in the first modern olympics in Athens 1896,he went there as spectator(which for the time was quite a task at that time) but entered as a contestant in the Tennis and won both mens singles and mens doubles medals! ....they don't make them like that anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Interesting one this -

Stella Walsh won a gold medal representing her native Poland in the 100 meters at the 1932 Olympics, took silver in the same event four years later.

Born in Poland, in 1911 as Stanlislawa Walasiewiczowna, she changed her name shortly after her family emigrated to the States.

However, after she died an autopsy revealed that her name and nationality weren't the only things she'd changed. In fact, Walsh had both female and male chromosomes. And male genitalia. One of the greatest athletes in women's sports was actually a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kasek

Due to the end of the Cold War, The Barcelona 1992 Summer Games were the first without boycotts since 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eoghainc

My favorite keep fit activity is clubbing, I study in England and tend to take advantage of the 24 hour licensing. You try dancing for 12 hours solid with little breaks to run up and down the stairs to the toilets and tell me it isn't a great way to keep fit. Sure you aren't going to get massive muscles but go to a club twice a month and hit the gym 3 times a week and watch the weight fall off you. If I cant afford to pay into the event I usually get in for free by offering to take pictures for the promoters so this camera would actually help to keep me in shape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Does playing the Wii count as a keep-fit activity? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

This will be the third London has hosted the Olympic Games.
    It was first held in London in 1908 and then again in 1948

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gallaron

Ok, it's unlikely to be in the Olympics anytime soon but love Gaelic Football. I was never much of a player but after a 10 year hiatus have been playing social football which I very much enjoy. Also been coaching underage for the last 4 years and now the team is at u9 get great enjoyment from the matches. Also from iomanaiocht which I do my best to coach but being from SW Dún na nGall I don't have a natural aptitude for it but do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The last Olympic gold medals that were made entirely out of gold were awarded in 1912.

Boom.. knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Gym 3 times a week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Interesting Facts about the Olympic Games:

1. When choosing locations for the Olympic Games, the IOC specifically gives the honor of holding the Games to a city rather than a country.

2. Because of World War I and World War II, there were no Olympic Games in 1916, 1940, or 1944.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

John Pius Boland, (1870-1958) won a gold medal in tennis singles on 30 March, 1896 at the Summer Olympics in Athens. He also won the doubles. He is the first Irishman to win an Olympic gold medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

favourite keep fit would be cycling/running (both of which i'm awful at).
    Most looking forward to watching the cycling events!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

I love going to the gym after work or university. Its great for getting rid of the stress and winding down mentally!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The Coolpix P310 isn't an SLR - it's a "bridge" camera.

Anyway, my favourite Olympic fact is that Jack B Yeats won a silver medal for painting (yes, painting) in the 1924 Paris Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Gold medals were not awarded at the inaugural Olympics in 1896 in Athens. The winners were instead given a silver medal and an olive branch, while runners-up received a bronze medal and a laurel branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

My favorite sport is couch surfing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shinobi2600

The Olympic medals are designed especially for each individual Olympic Games by the host city's organizing committee. Each medal must be at least three millimeters thick and 60 millimeters in diameter. Also, the gold and silver Olympic medals must be made out of 92.5 percent silver, with the gold medal covered in six grams of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xarbear

Women were first allowed to participate in the Olympics in 1900!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

To date in the olympics, no white person has ever run 100 meters in under 10 seconds.
    On July 9, 2010, Lemaitre became the first Caucasian to run 100 metres in under 10 seconds with a 9.98in the French nationals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement