Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anphash

The Community Games does not automatically qualify you for the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

cycling is my favourite hobbie gets the heart rate up and no impact until I fall off

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Really looking forward to the Tennis at Wimbledon in the Olympics.

Venus and Serena Williams have 5 Gold medals Between them. Venus 3 Serena 2

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Alidee

Charities will be given the sports equipment used in the London Olympics Games 2012 for free. Nice touch:o

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Yachtsman Hank Lammens was disqualified from the 1992 games for forgetting his life jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

My favorite Olympic fact: The Olympics where held in London for the first time 1908. They where set to take place in Italy but where moved to London because of an eruption of Mount Vesuvius. It was only the third time modern games where held outside of Greece!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KCW

Fav keep fit activity is swimming, exercises so many muscles and good aerobically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

By 2010 only three countries had never sent female athletes to the Games : Brunei, Saudia Arabia and Qatar
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Motor boating was an official sport at the 1908 Olympics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Favorite sports are: Muay Thai, Running and Cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thedk

Nadia Comăneci was the first person in the history of the Olympic Games to score a perfect 10 in Gymnastics. After doing so, the scoreboard read 1.0 instead of 10 because the manufacturers assumed a score of 10 was impossible. She achieved this feat at the age of 14...an unmatchable achievement by todays rules, where the minimum age for competing is 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seany76

olympic fact ... i will never take part :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Zumba,funniest most fun exercise class I've ever been to and quite effective too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Love 5 a side football to keep fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WannabeDolly

Horseriding is my sport of choice. It's one of the few sports where men and woman can compete equally. What I like most about horse-riding is the unpredictable nature of putting all of your trust in a living breathing animal. Many people find it therapeutic because you're too busy trying to keep yourself alive to worry about anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Best keep-fit activity is definitely a good american football training session.

You have to be fit to keep getting up after being knocked over on your bum :o

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ghall

I love Tennis, great for keeping fit but I do prefer to watch it on TV! Loved the Wimbleton final yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

The Winter Olympics were first held in Chamonix, France in 1924. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Olympic fact for you all...

John Pius Boland, (1870-1958) won a gold medal in tennis singles on 30 March, 1896 at the Summer Olympics in Athens. He also won the doubles. He is the first Irishman to win an Olympic gold medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Favorite sport: Decathlon. The athlete can't win by being a good sprinter, or middle distance runner. He or she needs to master so many disciplines to succeed. So many techniques need to mastered it's incredible what they put themselves through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

An Olympiad is a period of four successive years with the Olympic Games celebrating each Olympiad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shive

The 5 ringed symbol of the Olympics represent the 5 continents where athletes hail from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Austin1 wrote: »
    Sir Roger Bannister ran a sub-4-minute mile in 1954 for the first time ever - he achieved what many had thought was impossible.

In the next two years five more men achieved this feat.

My dad saw that. Here's the original race card with his note of the time 3' 59.4"

bannister-4min-mile.jpg

The Olympic Torch Relay ie. lighting it in Olympia and bringing it on tour, was devised by Carl Diem and organised as a propaganda stunt by Joseph Goebbels for the 1936 Munich Games. Prior to that it was just lit locally in the host city.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm not a sporty person but I do love going for random walks! It's the one advantage of living in Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 callie35

My favourite keep fit...? Stationary bike! :-) Comfort of my own home, rain or shine, don't have to worry about looking good, just blast out the best music and off I go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

London 2012 Paralympic games will be shown on Channel 4 & RTE for the first time in its history

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

An Electric Ireland Nikon would come in very handy for my chosen Olympic Sport.....Bus Spotting....not many people know that it is of Olympic stature,but I do,cos Leyland Motors Limited even named one of their products after the gig...hence the Leyland Olympian,several hundred of which set new records every day on Dublin's Streets !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 escargotbleu

I'm looking forward to watching Usain Bolt at the 2012 Olympics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

AlekSmart wrote: »
    An Electric Ireland Nikon would come in very handy for my chosen Olympic Sport.....Bus Spotting....not many people know that it is of Olympic stature,but I do,cos Leyland Motors Limited even named one of their products after the gig...hence the Leyland Olympian,several hundred of which set new records every day on Dublin's Streets !!

Like it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement