Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 escargotbleu

Also, has anyone else noticed that the camera you win is not in fact a DSLR but a super-zoom or 'bridging' camera?? Still a pretty sweet prize though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

The four years set between Olympics is called an Olympiad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Horse Riding is definitely my favourite keep fit sport. It's fun with that added element of danger (i.e. being thrown from a half ton animal at up to 40 mile an hour from heights of possibly over 1.8metres) and it's surprising tiring. Been riding for years and still break a sweat after an hour. Ireland and Irish riders tend to do quite well in the Olympics too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

The official Olympic mascots are named Wenlock and Mandeville.

Wenlock is named after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock where, in the mid-19th century, the Wenlock Games became the inspiration for the modern Olympic movement.

Mandeville's name is derived from Stoke Mandeville, in Buckinghamshire, home to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
    In the 1940s, Dr Ludwig Guttmann came to the hospital to set up a spinal unit.
    Looking for ways to inspire the soldiers in his care he established the Stoke Mandeville Games, widely recognised as a forerunner to the modern Paralympics.

article-1279736-09A7FFEB000005DC-301_634x429.jpg

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

When choosing locations for the Olympic Games, the IOC specifically gives the honor of holding the Games to a city rather than a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mommy8davina

WHILE MY TOP KEEP FIT TIP WOULD BE RUNNING AROUND AFTER MY 8 KIDS AL DAY IM GOING TO ADD AN OLYMPIC FACT <3
    The rings, from left to right, are blue, yellow, black, green, and red. The colors were chosen because at least one of them appeared on the flag of every country in the world.
    I'd love this camera no doubt would take great family pics while we are on the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I enjoy walking to keep fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

my favourite outdoor activity is hiking. I live in Kerry so there are plenty of places to go and the scenery is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

China didn't win its first medal until 1984. It's hard to believe now, since China seems to be a medal-winning monolith

My Fave keep fit activity? It has to be Capoeira. It works on every muscle going even ones you never knew you had - and also feeds into your balance and flexibility. It is like yoga extreme.

Despite being a martial arts dance form however it is entirely useless in a fight - you would probably end up hurting yourself rather than an opponent - and entirely useless on an actual dance floor - where you will likely hurt yourself and anyone around you.

Done right though it looks amazing and when done with a partner involves a lot of trust and interplay of skills which I think is also a great team feeling as the other person or people feel like extensions of yourself throughout the methods and forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Parenting is the best keep fit activity I know. Nothing else keeps me going as long or as hard and I end every day exhausted. Especially those days that find me pushing her in a buggy up the local hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

I love jogging. It keeps me fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

My favourite sport is basketball, love a good team sport, otherwise Id never have the drive to motivate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I love tennis and wish it was played more in this country. Levy fees are ridiculous in some of the clubs. Affordable tennis clubs are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The medals for the London Olympic Games are currently being stored in the Tower of London alongside the crown jewels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Architecture, Literature, Music, Painting and Sculpting were all Olympic events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I love cycling. Its a fast/cheap way of getting to work/school and its a great form of exercise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Allii

My favourite sports to watch in the Olympics would be gymnastics and boxing. I'm a bit lazy myself so the only "sport" I do is walking. I need my mp3 player with me though, some 70's and 80's tunes to motivate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Swimming...it's just so relaxing and just feel your worries wash off you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

My favourite olympic sport is the 100m - I am always amazed that its almost over as it starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Favourite activity....Cycling!
    Fun and functional. Keeps you fit, helps you lost a load of weight, and saves you on transport costs going to work/college!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Oldest Olympic Sport in the world for men.
    Was only recognized as a female sport in Athens in 2004.
    My Sis and I use to compete as a young'un back when there was a ban on girls over 12 competing.
    You should a seen the looks on the boys faces when they realized they might get handed a can of whip-arse by a girl!
    Biggest highlight of my career - getting to compete in the semifinal of the NZ National champs on the under 45kg class!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Running - it's free, I can do it whenever I want and it's great for clearing the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iasc87

In 490 BCE, Pheidippides, a Greek soldier, ran from Marathon to Athens (about 25 miles) to inform the Athenians the outcome of the battle with invading Persians. The distance was filled with hills and other obstacles; thus Pheidippides arrived in Athens exhausted and with bleeding feet. After telling the townspeople of the Greeks' success in the battle, Pheidippides fell to the ground dead. In 1896, at the first modern Olympic Games, held a race of approximately the same length in commemoration of Pheidippides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

My favourite sport is Sumo wrestling - such amazing athletes to watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Volleyball - because there is a big chance my country will earn gold medal this year.
    Also love tennis, and, well - i love most of olympic disciplines...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Gandhi once covered the Olympics as a newspaper reporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Can't beat the old fashioned jog. Would do more but for my dodgy knee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement