Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The olympic torch for the 2012 games is perforated by 8,000 circles. These circles represent the stories of the 8,000 torchbearers who will carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I do a 20k cycle every day and go kayaking if the sea allows it, absolutely love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Keep fit activity - a walk! It's nice to just clear your head and go for a really long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cycling, for the endorphin buzz. Or Airsoft for the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Surfing. Everyday different just as the emotions experienced can be, from going home elated to arriving back frustrated.
    Every wave is different and often many different faces in the same lineup, some from the other end of the parish to others whose traveled from the other end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

You got to love the swimming. Nothing can make you feel more at ease than floating in a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

After the Games four arenas would be ‘deconstructed’ and relocated to other parts of the UK along with the swimming pools that are used for water polo and the 50m training pools. Charities will be given the sports equipment used in the Games for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Favourite Olympic sport to watch- Women's Beach Volleyball :D

My favourite sport to do is running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭gopod

Women's boxing will make its Olympic debut at the London 2012 Games.

It is the last remaining men-only Olympic sport.

History in the making!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

With 5 gold, 3 silver and one bronze medal, Martin Sheridan was the most successful Irish person in Olympic history, although he did represent the USA, because Ireland did not exist as an independent state at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Apparently Dimitrios Loundras was the youngest ever competitor in modern Olympic history at 10 (well, just under 11), and he won a bronze medal in the parallel bars in 1896.

He later went on to become an admiral in the Greek navy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Rugby is returning to the Olympics in 2016. The current holders of the Olympic gold medal for rugby is America who won the last time the Sport was an Olympic event in 1924 and they are also the most successful team with 2 gold medals. France have 3 medals. A gold and 2 silvers.

One of America's best Olympic athlete was born in Mayo, Ireland. His name was Martin Sheridan. He was a member of the Irish Whales, a group of Irish-American athletes. He had 5 gold medals, 3 silver medals and a bronze medal although he won 5 of those (2 golds and 3 silvers) at the Intercalated games which the International Olympic Commission no longer recognizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gandhi once covered the olympics as a reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Running - can do it anywhere, anytime and its the best work out you can get.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ireland bid to hold the Olympics before, But lost out to Berlin in 1936

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

My favourite sport is tennis, I play it to keep fit and it also improves my reflexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My favourite keep fit activity is TRX. It was invented by the Navy Seals as a way to keep themselves fit while they were away on assignments, so you know it's good!
    It involves using the TRX straps to do resistance exercises, using your own body weight. Because of this, it is very adaptable to people of various fitness levels, and is easy to push yourself harder simply by leaning further into the exercises.
    I'm certainly not the fittest, but thanks to a couple of months of TRX classes with TRX Evolution I've been losing weight, getting stronger and getting fitter, and I've been enjoying it immensely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Powerboat racing was once an official Olympic sport in 1908.

Since then motorized competition has been unsuitable for the Olympic games.

As perhaps was live pigeon shooting and the horse long jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I'm not sure if toddler wrangling or laundry hoiking qualify as a sport but they certainly are an activity that keep me fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Favourite sporting activity is ultimate frisbee - perfect blend of skill, fitness and tactics and an excellent team sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

The 5-times gold medal American Olympic backstroker Aaron Peirsol has an older sister named ... Erin

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LuLu2012

The last Olympic gold medals that were made entirely out of gold were awarded in 1912

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The last Olympic gold medals made solely of gold were awarded in 1912 they are now made with 92% Silver but must be plated with at least 6grams gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Can't beat a good game of Ping-Pong!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Running and triathlon are my favs. Just have to get better at getting out there and training. Just bought the wetsuit so no excuses now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

Love walking
    As a sahm, I try to get out in the evenings with a friend.
    Our mouths probably get more exercise than our legs (what with all the gossiping and occasional trip into pub:eek:)
    Beats pushing buggies and hanging washing on a line anyday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

love running, I like to pretend I'm a Kenyan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Women beach volleyball players won't have to wear bikinis at the 2012 London Olympics.

N.b. That means they have a choice of what to wear, they won't be naked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

Hiking in the Wicklow Mountains!! Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 smacman

My favourite sport is the Marathon - interesting Olympic fact: The medals are designed espicially for each individual Olympic Games by the host city’s organizing committee. Each medal must be at least three millimeters thick and 60 millimeters in diameter. Also, the gold and silver medals must be made of 92.5 percent silver, with the gold medal covered in six grammes of gold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement