Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

The Olympic flag contains five interconnected rings on a white background. The five rings symbolize the five significant continents and are interconnected to symbolize the friendship to be gained from these international competitions. The rings, from left to right, are blue, yellow, black, green, and red. The colors were chosen because at least one of them appeared on the flag of every country in the world. The Olympic flag was first flown during the 1920 Olympic Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

8 pages in and not one person has named sex as their favourite keep fit activity?

Hang your heads in shame posters of boards.ie! :p

Olympic Fact: LOCOG will be providing around 150,000 free condoms to the athletes in the Olympic village. Source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Johnny Weissmuller who played Tarzan in the old movies, won 5 Gold Medals in Swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

my fav sport is playing football because it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

My favourite sport would be golf but unfortunately, I'm crap at it. :(

My favourite keep fit method is running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hassett23

the Olympics have been held every 4 years since 1896 except for the years 1940 and 1944 due to the second world war.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, I love walking the Dog. Really looking forward to the Tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 33 asdfghjz

The olympic torch is lit by the sun (with the help of some curved mirrors to focus the heat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cycling is my favourite activity, it's low impact, low cost and high fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭glennryan

Wheelchair Rugby will be one of the sports to watch this olympics........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 noname123

An ad for this year's game in 2007 had the rings of the Olympics flashing rapidly which led some people to experience epilepsy. Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I can't wait for the gymnastics, have always loved watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Ireland has has sent a team to represent them at the summer olympics since 1924 and the winter olympics since 1992.

Pat O Callaghan won 2 succesive gold medals in hammer throwing at summer olympics in Amsterdam 1928 and Summer olympics 1932 in LA.

His 1928 Gold medal was Irelands 1st medal as an independent nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

Horse riding - Its not only great craic but also helps you get as fit as a fiddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lolajay

I love spinning :D I took up clycling very late in life (Mountain biking to be precise) and I hadn't barely cycled a bike before in my life - even as a child! I found my legs were not feeling the peddle pushing at all so by suggestion I took up spinning classes to help get myself stronger and I have never looked back! I do at least 2 classes a week and my actual cycling is really strong now too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

When choosing locations for the Olympic Games, the IOC specifically gives the honor of holding the Games to a city rather than a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

The Summer Olympic games has been held in 22 different cities since the modern games began in 1896 (a total of 29 games)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There will be 9.6million tickets for sale for London 2012 – 8million for the Olympics and 1.6million for the Paralympics. A sell-out rate of 82 per cent for the Olympic Games and 63 per cent for the Paralympics is estimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mebbie

The colors in the olympic flag were chosen because at least one of them appeared on the flag of every country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DPMURPH1

I love playing squash. only started a while back, but it really works everything and the heat inside that little glass box is exercise in itself:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 soldier boy

Finally got back out on the water after an absence. but love it even more, but kayaking has helped me build upper body muscle as well as letting me enjoy myself. what more can you ask for great weather, fresh air and exercise.
    kayaking is the way forward..:D

Also, my interesting fact of the day,

The first opening ceremonies were held during the 1908 Olympic Games in London.

Dont know if anyone else had it, sorry if ye have.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

If you’re really clued in and short on company, you can simply tune in to a spectacular London event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Running. As cheap as chips to start and there are only one or two things that feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hex

I love jogging to keep fit, it's my favourite kind of exercise because I get to drag my dog along with me. He loves it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

1243 people have run sub 4-minute miles.

4 Irish athletes hold European records:
    Gillian O'Sullivan with a time of 11:35.34 in the 3000m walk on 15 February 2003.
    Alistair Craig with a time of 13:26 in the 5K roadrace on April 1st 2012
    Sonia O'Sullivan with a time of 5:25.36 in the 2000m on July 8th, 1994.
    Eamonn Coghlan with a time of 3:49.78 in the indoor mile on 27th February 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

my faveourite keep fit activity is running, love the feeling of putting on the runners and getting out in the fresh air. Also with the help of a bords thread am going to run my first ever marathon this year the 2012 DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Love swimming, favourite stroke has to be breaststroke. I like it because of the gliding element within the stroke. Its also my favourite to teach aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There's no E in Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bibiana.

The oldest Olympic medalist was Oscar Swahn of Sweden, he won his last medal at the age of 72.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I love watching the gymnastics and the diving!

Interesting fact - The Exact Length of a Marathon
    During the first several modern Olympics, the marathon was always an approximate distance. In 1908, the British royal family requested that the marathon start at the Windsor Castle so that the royal children could witness its start. The distance from the Windsor Castle to the Olympic Stadium was 42,195 meters (or 26 miles and 385 yards). In 1924, this distance became the standardized length of a marathon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement