Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a Nikon Super Zoom Digital Camera with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pissarro

The oldest Olympian ever was Oscar Swahn, who competed for Sweden in shooting at the 1920 Antwerp Olympics aged 72.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

No country in the Southern Hemisphere has ever hosted a Winter Games
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    What about AUSTRALIA? 1956 & 2000

Those were both summer Olympics. The quote states No Winter Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Favourite keep-fit activity for me is cycling, love the feeling of freedom, the distance you can go and the speed of going down a hill. Simple pleasures!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

My favourite keep fit activity is jogging. I do three 40 min. runs a week.

• Advertisement

Cycling is it for me. I'm able to disconnect with the world, get away from computers, and just be at one with my thoughts! Plus descending is incredible fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

125,000 golf balls a year are hit into the water at the famous 17th hole of the Stadium Course at Sawgrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hally_89

Running. Good way to keep fit and you get the enjoy the scenery while your at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Gold medals haven't been pure gold in 96 years. The 1912 Olympics was the last time that gold medals were solid gold. Ever since, they've been silver with gold plating.

(god bless google)

emm.... honestly, I knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Baron Floyd

. There's a 62-year age difference between the oldest and youngest Olympians ever. The youngest Olympian ever was Dimitrios Loundras, a Greek gymnast in the 1896 Athens Olympics. He was 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

For the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games, the Greek team always leads the procession while the host country comes last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

When London hosts the Olympic Games in 2012, the city will become the first to host the Games three times: 1908, 1948 and 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

It wasn't until 1900 that women were allowed to participate in the Olympic Games.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

RosieJoe wrote: »
    There's no E in Olympics

No but it's full of lots of other drugs........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cycling, because it gets me to and from work for free and keeps me fit at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Roger Bannister ran the first ever under four minute mile in 1954 at an Oxford running track: the time was 3 minutes, 59.4 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

Amhrán na bhFiann was first played at the olympics when Pat O'Callaghan
    became our first gold medal winner in 1928

• Registered Users Posts: 17 applesrock

Cross trainer at the gym as it doesn't hurt my knees as much as running. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

My boyfriend loves rollerblading, and now I've started to learn how too! It's a really fun way to keep fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bowsie

synchronised diving - hot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Peadarmac1

Cycling, less wear and tear on the joints:eek:compared to jogging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The five Olympic rings represent the five major regions of the world – Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceana, and every national flag in the world includes one of the five colors, which are (from left to right) blue, yellow, black, green, and red.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kaz_corcoran

Zumba because there are no rules! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spalunki

The 1956 Olympics were Ireland’s most successful with five medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

My favorite sport is Judo,

because its fun keeps you fit and you see it used in movies and tv shows all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

My favourite sport is the thrills and spills of cross country; the perfect balance between horse and rider makes it a skillful sport, with a lot of ohhhs and ahhhhs if they get it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

The last Olympic gold medals that were made entirely out of gold were awarded in 1912.

I like a bit of cycling, too. Always exciting in Ireland's 'not built for cycling' towns and cities.

As for a random fact; did you know that the first bicycle with circular wheels was actually made before the wheel was invented. They were called rounders. They didn't take off. They eventually fizzled out and the license to produce them was purchased by an F. Flintstone, who re-launched the 'wheel' concept with an over the top marketing campaign and heavy, concentrated promotional events, which helped them to the level of success they've currently achieved. The Flintstone family still have intellectual rights/ownership over the concept and therefore receive royalties everytime a wheel or circular device/object is used on a product. The expense of these royalties lead to the inevitable switchover to mouses that use a laser, as opposed to a ball under them, as it was argued that the ball was a 'wheel' for the mouse. The court case cost Microsoft billions in royalties.

Either that, or I just made the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

:D

Folks, we are absolutely loving these interesting nuggets and great fitness tips! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Only five sports have been contested at every summer Olympic games since 1896: Athletics, Cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics and Swimming.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement