Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What dog breed for someone suffering from allergies...contuined.

• 09-07-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi All

I was on here last September asking about what a good bred for someone with allergy's is and got some great advise. Since then I have been looking after a Bichon Frise and also another dog which is a Bichon X King Charles on a regular basis. Small issues with the allergys at first but as was meantioned before they seemed to clear up the longer I was around them.

Anyhow, after 10 months of helping out with friends dogs and alot of dog sitting I have now made the decision to go ahead with getting a dog and I'm happy that I know what's involved and the committment that is required.

I've heard that the cross breding is a style assoicated with back street puppy farms and really only bred for money :-( and I want nothing to do with that. I'm hoping to find a bichon frise and would prefer to get a rescue dog. I'm based in Dublin and I really have no idea where to start my search. Any suggestions for me? Also if I did end up buying a pup how can I ensure it's not from a puppy farm?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

If you are buying a pup from a breeder contact the breed club in Ireland or those listed as Kennel Club (UK) assured breeders in NI. As far as rescues go, you just have to keep your eyes open until one comes up. Do contact any you are happy with in a reasonable distance from you and leave your details so they can keep you in mind if a Bichon becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A Shih Tzu is also a great dog for those with allergies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bichons, Shih Tzu, doodles etc....I wonder if they're 'good for allergies' because they have coats that need to be groomed regularly which would usually include them being washed so removing dander? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Here's a link to a list of dogs that are considered good for allergy sufferers

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/allergy.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Irish animals is really handy if you are looking for a rescue or a dog in a specific area, there is a bichon x poodle on there are the moment, in the Dublin area too :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

gregers85 wrote: »
    Here's a link to a list of dogs that are considered good for allergy sufferers
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/allergy.htm

This list is not accurate. In fact, that list has at times been the bane of my life.
    Westies are NOT suitable for allergy sufferers, because they shed a reasonable amount and produce dander. Some poorly-bred Westies are "single coated" and don't shed, but this anomaly is not common. This breed should not appear on any such list.
    Also, any cross to produce the designer crossbreeds which include Cavaliers (e.g. Cavachon), Labradors (e.g. Labradoodle), or other high-shed breeds are more than capable of producing dogs that shed. If I absolutely had to have a non-shed breed/type, I would NOT be going for one of these crossbreeds.
    OP, Bichons come into rescue regularly due to their popularity, so it's well worthwhile keeping any eye on the IrishAnimals link or the websites of the bigger rescues.
    Good luck with your search!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Kerry Blue terrier is on the list. My Kerry Blue x doesn't shed. In the 1.5 years I've had her I've never found a hair in the house and she's mostly indoors.
    But then you've got to put up with that godawful stubborn and higly strung temperament...:rolleyes:

OT but somebody in our park has a doodle (can't remember if this one its lab or golden) anyhoos - they had it groomed the other week. I just happen to like the groomers page on FB so saw pictures of the pelt they cut off the dog it was that matted..then a few days later "Oh yeah they're great for people with allergies" I had to stop myself pointing out that it everybody shaved their dog they wouldn't have to worry about allergies lol!! :P

Anyhoos I have a retriever which is not on the list and have asthma from my allergies (I have to take steriods and antihistamines all year round) but my dog doesn't affect my allergies at ALL because he swims at least once a week and I brush him once a week. I recently got a grooming gadget which you'd love DBB ;) but even before that - one good brush in the park once a week and we were both sorted... most of the dogs on that list would be in a groomers regularly which imo helps with them being "hypo-allergenic" if thats the right word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My sister had a Bishon Friese (sp?) and she claimed he was hypo-allergenic. I laughed but she wasn't joking.

tk123 wrote: »
    I recently got a grooming gadget which you'd love DBB ;)

You? tk123? Got a grooming gadget?
    I simply don't believe it!

:p

PS It does look cool. Hmmmmmm. :o

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    tk123 wrote: »
    I recently got a grooming gadget which you'd love DBB ;)

You? tk123? Got a grooming gadget?
    I simply don't believe it!

:p

PS It does look cool. Hmmmmmm. :o

I got it for €31! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Thanks for all your help folks, I've been out this weekend and visited the DSPCA and a few rescue centres, so I've got the feelers out for a bichon, finger crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

This list is not accurate. In fact, that list has at times been the bane of my life.
    Westies are NOT suitable for allergy sufferers, because they shed a reasonable amount and produce dander. Some poorly-bred Westies are "single coated" and don't shed, but this anomaly is not common. This breed should not appear on any such list.
    Also, any cross to produce the designer crossbreeds which include Cavaliers (e.g. Cavachon), Labradors (e.g. Labradoodle), or other high-shed breeds are more than capable of producing dogs that shed. If I absolutely had to have a non-shed breed/type, I would NOT be going for one of these crossbreeds.
    OP, Bichons come into rescue regularly due to their popularity, so it's well worthwhile keeping any eye on the IrishAnimals link or the websites of the bigger rescues.
    Good luck with your search!:)

totally concur with this. My male westie - he's a rescue but he's a fine specimen of the breed - is moulting everywhere at the minute! my female who i got from a back yard breeder (back when i was young and stupid) doesnt moult at all. my sister in law suffers from allergies and my dogs do make them flare up - she always has to take her medication before she visits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Sorry about that DBB I didnt research it properly I just came across it on google and added it

gregers85 wrote: »

Sorry about that DBB I didnt research it properly I just came across it on google and added it

Oh no! I'm not blaming you, no need to apologise! :-)
    No, this info is freely available online and would be the first thing people would see if they googled it, but whoever put the list together didn't do their research!

Advertisement