Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork!

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

moving down to Cork next month to start medical school and, not knowing the city at all was hoping that you could perhaps give me some advice about a good area to live?

Basically, I'm 27 and have down the student thing before so am looking somewhere a bit more quiet and relaxed, although not too far from the University I suppose, although I have a car.

I've been told that Douglas is quite nice? Regardless, not knowing the city at all I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Douglas is a nice spot with everything at your door step like shops,pubs etc etc but the rent isnt cheap out there.Maybe check out turners cross area. The fact you have a car means you have a much bigger choice of places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

If you want to be near the University then Douglas and Turners Cross are the wrong side of the city. You should consider looking around Wilton, Bishopstown, Dennehy's Cross and Sunday's Well, these are the best options for a semi suburban area that's near UCC. Avoid places like College road as they are too noisy certain weeks of the year.

Pouladuff area and Togher, Ballyphehane etc wouldn't be too bad either as long as you're in the right area. Somewhere by the Lough being ideal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness turners cross in only a 20 minute walk from the uni. 5 mins in car or bike. Not exactly wrong side of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I live on that side of the city and would take me more than 20 minutes to walk there, I also live closer than Turners Cross. I quite like the area but I would rather live closer to the other side. Better bus times out that way too, it's a more university friendly area than Turners X etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Check out the Glasheen area and around The Lough. Lovely area. Lived there myself for a year, probably the nicest place I ever rented!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Really appreciate the replies guys thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Student parking at UCC is very limited. There are Park & Ride options, but you might well find it easier just to live within a reasonable walking distance of the college.

You should check out the UCC forum. There have been several threads about suitable accommodation for various types of students over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dave147 wrote: »
    I live on that side of the city and would take me more than 20 minutes to walk there, I also live closer than Turners Cross. I quite like the area but I would rather live closer to the other side. Better bus times out that way too, it's a more university friendly area than Turners X etc.

Lived in turners x for the 5 years I was in college ( and the 18 years before it). I used to cycle from the old nemo to college in 10 mins max. And that is the very far side of turners cross .
    Not necessarily recommending it. Just saying it is not other side of city so worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pros.

Bishopstown has two bus services that you could avail of if it's wet and is 10/15 mins cycle if it's dry. 5 to 15 mins in the car depending on your location and traffic.

Cork University Hospital is also in B'town (I'm not sure if you'd be doing placements out there but if you were B'town is perfect). B'town also has an adequate shopping centre (Wilton) and you have the Lee Fields nearby for cycling or walking by the river.

Cons.

Poor night life.

Pretty crappy pubs.

No much in the way of restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hi eveyone, I'm also moving to Cork next month. I'll be working on the city side of the Kinsale Road and would prefer to avoid the South City link getting to and from work.

I've looked on Daft around Turners Cross and Musgrave Park. Some people have advised against Ballyphehane, but being from Limerick I don't like to tar all parts of an area with the same brush, I assume the parts closer to Musgrave Park are okay?

I suppose what I'm looking for is somewhere like where I'm living now, walking distance to town (under 20 mins) or on a regular bus route and walking distance or short drive to work. It'd be a bonus if it were somewhere I can walk to alone, safely from the city at 3 on a Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I suppose what I'm looking for is somewhere like where I'm living now, walking distance to town (under 20 mins) or on a regular bus route and walking distance or short drive to work. It'd be a bonus if it were somewhere I can walk to alone, safely from the city at 3 on a Sunday morning.

What part of Kinsale Road will you be working? Turners cross sounds perfect tbh. The vast majority of Ballephehane is fine too imo.

Nobody can guarantee your safety walking alone at 3am in any part of the city on any night. Keeping safe is more of a common sense thing (not walking alone, getting a taxi etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cheers.

I'd be working pretty much at the Roundabout, just in the industrial estate.

I assume living on the northside is a waste of time with commuter traffic?

ninty9er wrote: »
    Cheers.

I'd be working pretty much at the Roundabout, just in the industrial estate.

Turners Cross or Ballyphehane are perfect for you.
    I assume living on the northside is a waste of time with commuter traffic?

Once you have to cross the river at all (the river divides north & south city) during busy times you're looking at traffic queues at all the bridges. Probably better to live on the side of the Lee that you're working on to minimise commute times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 singin bernie walsh

bishopstown, wilton, togher, glasheen areas are all good to live. all on regular routes. you could walk into town on a nice day and a taxi should be no more than €10 into town. if your still looking for accomodation check out daft.ie and keep going further down the pages as there are plenty of houses/apartments there that are still available to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

Does any cork person know what areas are rough as i am from galway and i dont wanna be moving in a rough area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

gemie wrote: »
    Does any cork person know what areas are rough as i am from galway and i dont wanna be moving in a rough area?

I guess different people might give you different answers.. even the bad areas have nice parts to live in etc. Personally, the areas I'd be most wary of would be Knocknaheeny/Hollyhill, parts of Blackpool (the closer to the centre the better), Farranree, Mayfield, and on the south-side: parts of Togher, and Mahon.

who_me wrote: »
    I guess different people might give you different answers.. even the bad areas have nice parts to live in etc. Personally, the areas I'd be most wary of would be Knocknaheeny/Hollyhill, parts of Blackpool (the closer to the centre the better), Farranree, Mayfield, and on the south-side: parts of Togher, and Mahon.

thank you very much for your advice, ill take notice of these :) best ask a cork person ye know your area :) cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

gemie wrote: »
    thank you very much for your advice, ill take notice of these :) best ask a cork person ye know your area :) cheers for that
    Your best bet is to post back here when your going looking.
    You will get great advise on areas as soon as you can say where you are likely to be travelling to daily, and what type of accomidation your looking for.

On the south side there are very few outright rough areas, even areas that might be called "rough" wouldnt be anywhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

Your best bet is to post back here when your going looking.
    You will get great advise on areas as soon as you can say where you are likely to be travelling to daily, and what type of accomidation your looking for.

On the south side there are very few outright rough areas, even areas that might be called "rough" wouldnt be anywhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

true, need know where my job is gonna be first! la creme are taking on peeps, get back on here and ask ye, what would you do with out boards.ie

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Roll on the good times, positivity gets you on the right road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'd say you'd struggle to even rent in Knocka these days considering they're knocking it all down. As others have said even the roughest parts of Cork have nice areas and some of the nicest areas have rough spots but over all there are very few parts of Cork that are genuinely rough (compared to Limerick or Dublin anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Just stay out of the Glen and you'll be fine, everywhere else you'd be safe.

yenom wrote: »
    Just stay out of the Glen and you'll be fine, everywhere else you'd be safe.

OK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ritchiii

I'm looking to move into Douglas street within the week, I've heard mix reviews on the area from 2012 mostly. Can anyone give their insights?

Heroin, junkies, scum patrolling the areas etc.. I dont want my partner being jumped

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Ritchiii wrote: »
    I'm looking to move into Douglas street within the week, I've heard mix reviews on the area from 2012 mostly. Can anyone give their insights?

Heroin, junkies, scum patrolling the areas etc.. I dont want my partner being jumped

It's inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bigboots89

hey I might be moving to monastery hill, anyone know if the area is alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cavitation

Ritchiii wrote: »

Come here man,you've are just looking for excuses NOT to move to Douglas street.Why don't you look to live somewhere else or never leave the house alone or your old doll(assuming your partner is female!!)
    I live in that area and I've never seen anything that you refer too....
    Get a ****ing grip......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I live on the high street and have walked Douglas Street literally thousands of times in my lifetime at all hours of the day/night, and never once have I seen a bit of bother. But a guy living here a month might have been unlucky and got a slap there some night and he'll tell everyone he knows how bad Douglas Street is, its all peoples perception. Douglas Street is inner city, it has lots of dark side streets coming off it and the area as a whole is cramped and on top of you. Have your wits like any other inner city area and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slai84

Hi guys,

Moving to cork soon with my girlfriend. will be working in carrigtwohill and would like to live somewhere close to amenities (supermarkets, parks, pubs, cafes) within Cork city. Any good suggestions?Could you please let me know of good transportation links from the city to carrigtwohill? people keep telling me the south is the place to be but i ve heard good things about glanmire, blackpool, tivoli, etc. We re also thinking about deerpark, deanrock, glasheen. any ideas? appreciate your time and feedback!!many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Try to stay close enough to the motorway or the link. Traffic can be a nightmare during rush hour around Dunkettle.

Wilton, Douglas or Mahon might be a good place to start.

You could also look outside of the city to Midleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 slai84

thank you eeguy. for the first few months we ll have to get used to transportation. no car foreseen for a while, we ll have to get used to driving on the other side😀😀ðŸ˜ðŸ˜. want to be close to the city and from what i hear it should take around 20-25mins with the bus or train to reach carrigtwohill in the morning. so i guess douglas, deerpark or so should work well. wilton seems bit further west, no?

Advertisement