Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

slai84 wrote: »
    thank you eeguy. for the first few months we ll have to get used to transportation. no car foreseen for a while, we ll have to get used to driving on the other side����ðŸ˜ðŸ˜. want to be close to the city and from what i hear it should take around 20-25mins with the bus or train to reach carrigtwohill in the morning. so i guess douglas, deerpark or so should work well. wilton seems bit further west, no?

Ah right, didn't know about the car. In that case, just map the bus route from Carrigtwohill to Cork and find somewhere close by.

There's a train station in Carrigtwohill, but check how long the walk is to work. It's about 30 mins to the IDA business park. Not nice in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slai84

Many thanks again. I have on additional question if you don't mind. We have brand new appliances like washing machine and dryer but I see that the majority of available flats are offering at least a washing machine and most of the needed furniture (beds,matresses,couch, chairs,tables,etc). Do you think it would be possible to bring our own machines? (laundry etc) or is it sth we definitely cannot do? I really appreciate your tine and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Many thanks again. I have on additional question if you don't mind. We have brand new appliances like washing machine and dryer but I see that the majority of available flats are offering at least a washing machine and most of the needed furniture (beds,matresses,couch, chairs,tables,etc). Do you think it would be possible to bring our own machines? (laundry etc) or is it sth we definitely cannot do? I really appreciate your tine and help.

In my renting days I never viewed a property that wasn't furnished / equipped. I'd say very few would be rented like that.

On the other hand, you might get lucky. Someone might have just finished renovations / redecoration, and being able to rent immediately without having to buy the appliances straight away might perfectly suit the owner. But you'd likely have to do a lot more searching around.

Thank you who_me!that sounds good.big change for us to move to a beautiful place like Ireland. So we have to deal with a lot of items to make the move smooth. According to your experience/knowledge, what would be a good deal for a nice two bedroom apartment around the city?seems that we are looking at around 1,200/month or so from what we could see online.need to have good transportation to the city (being quite close if possible) and have a 20min-30min bus ride to IDA business park.many thanks for all your help!

Thank you who_me!that sounds good.big change for us to move to a beautiful place like Ireland. So we have to deal with a lot of items to make the move smooth. According to your experience/knowledge, what would be a good deal for a nice two bedroom apartment around the city?seems that we are looking at around 1,200/month or so from what we could see online.need to have good transportation to the city (being quite close if possible) and have a 20min-30min bus ride to IDA business park.many thanks for all your help!

Cork isn't a big place really.
    Find the bus depot on the map, then find somewhere within acceptable walking distance. You'll get nearly all the centre within 15/20 mins walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

If you find a place you could ask the landlord if they will rent unfurnished
    if they have multiple properties they might be open to that idea.

St Lukes is quite a popular place to rent and is a short walk to the train or bus station

It looks like you can get a bus to the IDA business park from the bus station and it would take 30 minutes or so

Ballinlough, Douglas St, or any of the apartments along the Quays in the city centre would be good.

There are a few side streets near the bus station that wouldn't be great to walk around at night time but generally I think it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi guys,

Moving to cork soon with my girlfriend. will be working in carrigtwohill and would like to live somewhere close to amenities (supermarkets, parks, pubs, cafes) within Cork city. Any good suggestions?Could you please let me know of good transportation links from the city to carrigtwohill? people keep telling me the south is the place to be but i ve heard good things about glanmire, blackpool, tivoli, etc. We re also thinking about deerpark, deanrock, glasheen. any ideas? appreciate your time and feedback!!many thanks.

Glasheen is great, shopping centres,bars,good, great links,mature area, safe,southside,,,,,Blackpool/glanmire lot of hassle, wouldn't live there for God nor man, Blackpool can be dodgy, glanmire is basically a Northside extension, mad traffic ,Google both ref trouble,hassle,gangs of youths etc,go to the southside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sell your appliances and with the profit get a car! 99.9. % of places in Cork have appliances and furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Anastasia_

Why not look within Carrigtwohill? It's a great little village and you have everything you need there really. If it were me, I definitely would be considering it. You'll get a house in Cul Ard for the same price as an apartment in the city, and you're still only a train or bus journey away from the city. If you were to take a house in Douglas, I don't think there's any direct bus route so you'd either have to change bus or get the bus into town and the train out.

The price range sounds about right. Unfortunately its' very much an owner's market at the moment - rents now are (by Cork standards) very high regardless of whether the property is nice or not.

If by the IDA Business Park, you mean the one on Model Farm Road - the one tricky thing is most of the West side of the city is very popular for renting - you have University College Cork (UCC) close to the centre, Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) out on the fringes, and Cork University Hospital in between. That's a lot of competition! :)

Most of the bus routes in the city run from the suburbs to/from the city centre (there aren't many orbital routes). So you either rent within walking distance, rent between the city centre and work (student central!), rent in the city centre (expensive?) or rent on the far side of the city and get 2 buses, or walk to centre & bus.

The bus options are probably the 205, and the 201 (the North Orbital route) - that might open up some areas on the North side. Potential warning: if you're travelling to work around 9am, the buses along any of those routes could be very busy with students. In my experience (very out of date) it was easier to get on the bus in the city centre, than trying to get on at one of the stops between the centre and the universities; very often they were full when they reached my stop and skipped my stop entirely.

My personal favourite areas to consider are: the Lough, Sunday's Well and St. Luke's. They're all mature areas, with a lot of character, and nice views.

• Advertisement

The OP mentions Carrigtwohill, so it's the IDA park there, not the IDA park on Model Farm Road, which is in Cork city.

eeguy wrote: »
    The OP mentions Carrigtwohill, so it's the IDA park there, not the IDA park on Model Farm Road, which is in Cork city.

Hah, thanks!

Ignore pretty much everything I wrote, in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anastasia_ wrote: »
    Why not look within Carrigtwohill? It's a great little village and you have everything you need there really. If it were me, I definitely would be considering it. You'll get a house in Cul Ard for the same price as an apartment in the city, and you're still only a train or bus journey away from the city. If you were to take a house in Douglas, I don't think there's any direct bus route so you'd either have to change bus or get the bus into town and the train out.

I wouldn’t recommend it all. Imo better off in the city initially then look to move to the county if needs be once you get a feel for the place

thank you a lot guys, really good info. a lot of options indeed, will take the time and look for good options. we re leaning towards the south, south east of the city for now but this can change once we come and see ourselves. i ve only been in cork for 1,5 days so i cannot really judge yet the size and traffic. again, thanks to all. you ve been very helpful.i ll keep you posted for more info.cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Albert road or blackrock road would be a good shout.. Both 5/10 minutes from all the main pubs in the city and extremely safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Anastasia_ wrote: »

I wouldn’t recommend it all. Imo better off in the city initially then look to move to the county if needs be once you get a feel for the place

In what way wouldn't you recommend it? If by nightlife, I'd agree as the taxi can be a pain at 30 quid, but manageable if not doing it wedkly. Carrig is a nice spot, renting here at the moment, it has almost everything you need. I guess it could be a hassle without a car if you want to go somewhere that isnt Midleton or the city. But the area is nice, and would get better bang for your buck renting-wise.

If I didn't drive I'd live in Cork.
    If I did drive I'd live in Midleton.

Thanks again guys!I ve found some available properties very central, around George s quay.guess would be great for transportation as Parnell place is really metres away.any thoughts?(noise, dangers, quality of apartments next to the river?). Tivoli and silversprings still other options for the tine being.😉 what would be the expected rent for a two bedroom apartment in Georges quay?

Thanks again guys!I ve found some available properties very central, around George s quay.guess would be great for transportation as Parnell place is really metres away.any thoughts?(noise, dangers, quality of apartments next to the river?). Tivoli and silversprings still other options for the tine being.�� what would be the expected rent for a two bedroom apartment in Georges quay?

Very central. A few new businesses opened there in recent years (Cafe Velo, Casanova Gelato, Filter)

Some nice options too on Douglas St. very close by (Coughlans pub, Fionnbarras, Novecento pizza)

The area could be prone to flooding so I'd be a little wary of a ground-floor apartment (to be honest I doubt it ever reaches the houses, but the street level maybe). As for noise - other than traffic along the quay itself it shouldn't be too bad.

I can't comment on specific pricing, but just about any location around the city centre is likely to be pricey (by Cork standards) regardless of specific location.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Hi guys,

Moving to cork soon with my girlfriend. will be working in carrigtwohill and would like to live somewhere close to amenities (supermarkets, parks, pubs, cafes) within Cork city. Any good suggestions?Could you please let me know of good transportation links from the city to carrigtwohill? people keep telling me the south is the place to be but i ve heard good things about glanmire, blackpool, tivoli, etc. We re also thinking about deerpark, deanrock, glasheen. any ideas? appreciate your time and feedback!!many thanks.

moved to cork last year and picked douglas, don't think there's a better place in Ireland to be honest. only downside is that traffic in the morning and evening, if people could kindly stop driving into the yellow box at the junction it would be fantastic.....lots of buses pass through so access to most of cork from douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

moved to cork last year and picked douglas, don't think there's a better place in Ireland to be honest. only downside is that traffic in the morning and evening, if people could kindly stop driving into the yellow box at the junction it would be fantastic.....lots of buses pass through so access to most of cork from douglas.

If I were to be working in Carrigtowhill, I wouldn't dream of living in Douglas. Personally, I wouldn't like to live in Douglas, no matter where I worked but that's subjective.
    Working in, Carrigtowhill without a car, I'd be looking at city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Grew up in Douglas and the place has been stupidly over-developed in the last 10-15 years. The village core is a horrible place now with two giant shopping centres, fast food joints and now a Lidl and an Aldi due to open. A planning cluster**** of epic proportions.

Thanks to all. We will be in cork soon and have a few appointments with agents. Up to now....most of them reply that there is nothing available.market is really moving fast. Since it seems we will need to be close to the bus lines 206, 204, and their respective stops we are trying to find sth decent.not easy up to now but we hope to have something by end of next week (fingers crossed). Any additional piece of advice or remarks welcome!;-)))))

And of course I meant 240 and 260 bus lines...my keyboard is not optimised...haha

I'm in the opposite situation to most people, working in Douglas but living in the city centre. Works fantastic for me - lots of bus routes, going against most of the traffic so a quick run out. Loads of options for lunch within 50m of the office.

Douglas is fine, if you don't have to funnel through it to/from town at the peak hours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

who_me wrote: »
    I'm in the opposite situation to most people, working in Douglas but living in the city centre. Works fantastic for me - lots of bus routes, going against most of the traffic so a quick run out. Loads of options for lunch within 50m of the office.

Douglas is fine, if you don't have to funnel through it to/from town at the peak hours. :)

that commute is a nice easy cycle too, no need for a bus at all really.

Advertisement