Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a second opinion on Graphics Card/PSU

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey I posted here awhile ago about upgrading my graphics card, lo and behold I ran into money troubles s0 9 months later I have the funds again. Any way I'm upgrading my old "off the shelf" rig I bought a few years back from pcworld here in Limerick. I only really started to use it for proper gaming in the last few months and the FPS is terrible(integrated graphics card). So here's all the juicy info:
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    • 8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
    • Intel Corporation DG45ID (LGA775)
    • Graphics
    • Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@60Hz)
    • Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    • 350watt PSU
    I have my eye on the following PSU: Corsair CMPSU 600watt along with a 6870 1gb Graphics card
    I'm pretty sure I'm going overkill with the 600 watt psu but when I go to build a new rig in a year or 2 I'll swap out the parts. All in all it comes to about €220 on amazon but I'll pay a little more if its worth it. In a few months time and have more money I'll put in an SSD.
    Am I right in buying these? or am I gonna make a huge mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

The graphics card is great, the PSU not so much. The builder series, even though it's Corsair, isn't very impressive. Get a Super-Flower Amazon 550 watt. It'd actually be stronger than the 600 watt Corsair.

Also, maybe get this graphics card instead? Better fan, and it's cheaper.

Sorry, it's actually the same price when you factor in £5 shipping. You should still buy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daguythere

Eboggles wrote: »
    The graphics card is great, the PSU not so much. The builder series, even though it's Corsair, isn't very impressive. Get a Super-Flower Amazon 550 watt. It'd actually be stronger than the 600 watt Corsair.

Also, maybe get this graphics card instead? Better fan, and it's cheaper.

Sorry, it's actually the same price when you factor in £5 shipping. You should still buy it though.

Your right it is better but Im not sure it'll work on my motherboard. I need one that is pci express compatible. From what I can see on my phone it isnt so I could be wrong.

Ill take another look at the psu but I want to keep the price down as much as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Daguythere wrote: »
    Your right it is better but Im not sure it'll work on my motherboard. I need one that is pci express compatible. From what I can see on my phone it isnt so I could be wrong.

Ill take another look at the psu but I want to keep the price down as much as I can

All modern graphics cards are PCI Express x16.

You do know what it is, don't you? It's the interface that the graphics card uses to communicate and pass data.

On Motherboard:

pcie_lores_callouts.jpg

On graphics card:

US0rS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

XFX 550W £50.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Edition-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/

OCZ ZS £49.47 - out of stock so make sure that you click to buy it from amazon and not the other sellers for the free postage.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ-ZS550W-UK-Series-Bronze-single/dp/B005DJJTFA/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daguythere

All modern graphics cards are PCI Express x16.

Ah this makes sense to me now. I was worried I'd have to get a new Motherboard.

I think I'll settle on the XFX 550w and the XFX hd 6870. All in all it comes to €243, which is just inside my budget of €250 so I can't complain really. I'll prob order them early next week(moving house this week so funds need to be flexible) and I'll put up a post/reply with the results. Whats the worst that could happen eh?

Cheers lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Daguythere wrote: »
    Ah this makes sense to me now. I was worried I'd have to get a new Motherboard.

I think I'll settle on the XFX 550w and the XFX hd 6870. All in all it comes to €243, which is just inside my budget of €250 so I can't complain really. I'll prob order them early next week(moving house this week so funds need to be flexible) and I'll put up a post/reply with the results. Whats the worst that could happen eh?

Cheers lads!

It could explode in to your face and you will picking out pieces of plastic and metal out of your face for the next 3 years. :D

Advertisement