Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bed Bug Solution??

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Sorry if this should be in DIY, any previous mention of this topic is very old. We seem to have brought Bed Bugs back from our American holiday, where they - we now know - are a huge problem currently. We have phoned Rentokil who are coming to look tomorrow and seem like it will cost several hundred to spray etc but there is also Complete Pest Control who charge 80 euro to spray. Anyone have any experience on this with either company? I don't want to waste money on an over-priced service but I do want to make sure, obviously, that the job is done properly. I would rather have rats, this is horrific!! Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Napalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Sleep Tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Shower?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I advise you to get the professionals in. It's a very thorough job. They live in skirting and behind light switches and off the shelf chemicals don't work on them from my experience. It'll be costly but I would get it done ASAP, had an issue with them in Australia and cost us about $2000 AUD to get the pros to sort it out, was about 8 hrs labour on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kill them with fire.

Honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

whatever the cost id get someone in fast and get rid of them before they spread...Awful yokes..huge problem in the States currently about ten years after they were declared 'rid of'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

chin_grin wrote: »
    Shower?

Bedbugs are not a hygiene issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

never go to america again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hammocks, then they will be homeless and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Euewwwwwwwww.

Sorry, I realise that isn't helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Liquid-hot magma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Bag of lime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't have a bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Heard a guy from rentokill on with ray d'arcy last week and was saying the only way to get rid of them 100% was to heat the room to 35c and maintain it for 10 mins, iirc. Sounded like a big task. Hope it works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have reported you to the police for the illegal importation of exotic wildlife.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Heard a guy from rentokill on with ray d'arcy last week and was saying the only way to get rid of them 100% was to heat the room to 35c and maintain it for 10 mins, iirc. Sounded like a big task. Hope it works out ok for you.

There could be some merit in that, recall reading once that it was encouraged to leave the dovuets on a bed pulled back so the sun can shine in through the window. Which is meant to help kill'em off as well.

But typical of me, I can't remember where I read it or if there were comments later debunking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Bedbugs are not a hygiene issue.

Feckin' lying bed buggin' bastids! They tricked me!

I don't think so, it was 42c some days when I had this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It looks like they're pesticide resistant, meaning the pest control will need to use some serious pesticides.

I'd say the cheapo €80 option might be a standard pesticide/insecticide which may or may not work.

Might be worth just asking each company what chemical they're going to use and if they had experience of American bed bugs.

CBS Link

Wiki Link
    Wiki wrote:
    According to a 2005 survey, only 6.1% of companies claim to be able to eliminate bed bugs in a single visit, while 62.6% claim to be able to control a problem in 2-3 visits.

It looks like they're pesticide resistant, meaning the pest control will need to use some serious pesticides.

I'd say the cheapo €80 option might be a standard pesticide/insecticide which may or may not work.

Might be worth just asking each company what chemical they're going to use and if they had experience of American bed bugs.

CBS Link

Wiki Link

The guys that destroyed them for us needed 3 visits, 2 at the start and a check up 2 weeks later. They never came back though which was great.
    None of the home remedies work, and I paid 200 or something for the first pesticide people who was just some muppet who came out and spend 20 minutes spraying some stuff around, did absolutely nothing to kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fif

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The guys that destroyed them for us needed 3 visits, 2 at the start and a check up 2 weeks later. They never came back though which was great.
    None of the home remedies work, and I paid 200 or something for the first pesticide people who was just some muppet who came out and spend 20 minutes spraying some stuff around, did absolutely nothing to kill them.

Thanks BraziliaNZ I think they are both pro companies in relation to the Bed Bugs, one company uses dogs to detect where they are. Did you have to decontaminate all of the clothes in the bedroom?
    I know just letting the sun (what's thet?) shine on the bed won't work because they could be anywhere. I have read all I can find on the web about them but I was hoping to hear if anyone had used these specific companies.

fif wrote: »
    Thanks BraziliaNZ I think they are both pro companies in relation to the Bed Bugs, one company uses dogs to detect where they are. Did you have to decontaminate all of the clothes in the bedroom?
    I know just letting the sun (what's thet?) shine on the bed won't work because they could be anywhere. I have read all I can find on the web about them but I was hoping to hear if anyone had used these specific companies.

yes had to wash everything at high temperatures then put them in dryers at highest temperatures for 90 mins or something. I haven't used any of the companies in Ireland but I heard about the 2 dogs that come to your house, my friend has met them and they're supposed to be nice dogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Recently had and some bed bugs in the house i am renting and we managed to get rid of them ourselves after. We used a combination of heat treatment for all the clothes and furniture in the house along with some Diatomaceous earth spread around the rooms. We bought a steam cleaner to treat the furniture and rooms and used a clothes drier to treat all the clothes in the house. It took a few goes to get rid of them completely but saved us a few bob in the end.

If you use the professional services, you are looking at probably around 300-400 euro and you will have to heat treat the clothes etc yourself. They will treat the rooms and furniture in the house. The treatment is an ongoing process with a number of treatments over a few weeks and you need to strip down and empty all the furniture in each room every time there is a treatment. In my opinion it is just about as much hassle to do treat it yourself as to get the professionals in but if you are busy i would go with the professionals.

You won't really be sure there gone until you go a few weeks without getting bites as they can be persistent little buggers. They can sleep for up to 9 months without needing to feed and it can take a few days for the bites from them to show up.

There is a second option to heat treat the entire house at once but it costs a few grand and may end up damaging furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭bren2001

We used a company, I dunno the name. You have to clear the room completely before they com, putting everything into sealed black bags. The spray the room, you sleep in it, if you get bitten again they come back out, if not then your in the all clear.

Think it was €100 for the first spray, then €50 after. We only had to get it done once tho. So shop around and youll get it much cheaper than 300-400.

It's a lot of money to get the pros in but I guess they know what they are doing. I really don't want to do all of this and for it to fail! Where did you source the Diatomaceous earth spread? Did you not use any chemicals on the mattress or sofa etc? And when you say you used a steam cleaner, was it a domestic one like a Polti? http://www.polti.com/en/catalog/consumer/66/271
    we have access to a 'wet steam' Polti so I wonder if this would be suitable, but the mattress would be very wet afterwards I'd say.

bren2001 wrote: »
    We used a company, I dunno the name. You have to clear the room completely before they com, putting everything into sealed black bags. The spray the room, you sleep in it, if you get bitten again they come back out, if not then your in the all clear.

Think it was €100 for the first spray, then €50 after. We only had to get it done once tho. So shop around and youll get it much cheaper than 300-400.

It wasn't Rentokil? Did they only spray one room? I heard you need to get the whole house done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

It's a lot of money to get the pros in but I guess they know what they are doing. I really don't want to do all of this and for it to fail! Where did you source the Diatomaceous earth spread? Did you not use any chemicals on the mattress or sofa etc? And when you say you used a steam cleaner, was it a domestic one like a Polti? http://www.polti.com/en/catalog/consumer/66/271
    we have access to a 'wet steam' Polti so I wonder if this would be suitable, but the mattress would be very wet afterwards I'd say.

The place was called willow farm in Roscommon i think. It is sold in three grades. Pest grade is the type you are looking for. Was cheap enough to buy but delivery is expensive as far as i remember. You should only need 1 or 2 kilo's at most. Not sure about linking to the site but if you google it you should find it easy enough.

The steam cleaner we got in argos. Fairly basic job, only around €40 or so. We used the steam cleaner with some lavender oil to treat the luggage, beds, furniture and carpets first. Once dried, we spread some of the Diatomaceous earth powder around the edges of all the rooms and on the bed frames, Basically around any entry point to the room. We didn't put the powder on any furniture though.

It is a fair bit of work though as we had 4 people each looking after their own room and treating their own clothes and it took a few weeks to get rid of them. It depends how bad the infestation is, how big your house is and how much you can afford etc.. You will also have some piece of mind with a professional service as the paranoia at night time can be a killer.

Ishmael wrote: »

The place was called willow farm in Roscommon i think. It is sold in three grades. Pest grade is the type you are looking for. Was cheap enough to buy but delivery is expensive as far as i remember. You should only need 1 or 2 kilo's at most. Not sure about linking to the site but if you google it you should find it easy enough.

The steam cleaner we got in argos. Fairly basic job, only around €40 or so. We used the steam cleaner with some lavender oil to treat the luggage, beds, furniture and carpets first. Once dried, we spread some of the Diatomaceous earth powder around the edges of all the rooms and on the bed frames, Basically around any entry point to the room. We didn't put the powder on any furniture though.

It is a fair bit of work though as we had 4 people each looking after their own room and treating their own clothes and it took a few weeks to get rid of them. It depends how bad the infestation is, how big your house is and how much you can afford etc.. You will also have some piece of mind with a professional service as the paranoia at night time can be a killer.

Thanks a million that's really helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SimonC11

The best DIY method I have put together and put on other bed bug blogs is:

1. Turn off the light for about an hour. Bed Bugs love to dwell in the darkness. Hopefully, this will lure as many out as possible.

2. Mix Javex, Water, and Isopropyl Alcohol into a spray bottle. The Javex and Alcohol will ensure that the Bed Bugs are killed for good, but they must be contacted directly! Spray anything that cannot be laundered (mattress, boxspring, furniture), but be careful that you do not ruin your items as you are working with bleach.

3. Put any items that can be laundered into the dryer and run it on a “Hot” cycle for 30 minutes. Do not introduce these items back into the infested area until you are sure that the area has been properly cleaned.

4. You can purchase a handheld Steamer from your local Wal-Mart for around $60. Next, steam all areas where you think the little critters may reside. Make sure that you apply the steam for about 1-2 minutes to ensure that the Bed Bugs are killed. Be careful though, a lot of materials these days have plastics integrated in which can be ruined if the steam is applied to close or long.

5. Vacuum the area. Don’t just go after the dead bugs you see, the eggs can be as small as a grain of salt. If you miss these, you’ll be right back where you started. Suck up the corners of rooms, between floorboards, lamps, in furniture, anything you can reach.

6. After everything has been steamed, sprayed, and vacuumed wait a few hours and then perform an inspection. Bed Bugs like dark areas such as between your mattress and boxspring, crevaces in your sheets, holes in the wall, or between floorboards. If there is no sign of the bugs at this point, hopefully you were able to eradicate the problem. At this point, you can start bringing in your belonging that were laundered and returning to a sane lifestyle

Bed Bugs Toronto has become a seriously bad epidemic this year and the government needs to step up and compensate the public for the mass amounts of money they have forked out to ease their daily life. Erradication, can cost between $700-$1500. Why should tenants or owners who didn't bring them in have to pay for this?

Anyways, hope the DIY helps anyone in need.

Advertisement