Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bed Bug Solution??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fif

2. Mix Javex, Water, and Isopropyl Alcohol into a spray bottle. The Javex and Alcohol will ensure that the Bed Bugs are killed for good, but they must be contacted directly! Spray anything that cannot be laundered (mattress, boxspring, furniture), but be careful that you do not ruin your items as you are working with bleach.

What is Javex? I am not familiar with this in Ireland. Is it just ordinary bleach?
    thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SimonC11

Fif,

That was also my DIY method that I tried myself :) It helped win the battle, but not the war lol

FML!

SimonC11 wrote: »
    Fif,

That was also my DIY method that I tried myself :) It helped win the battle, but not the war lol

FML!

Hi Simon,

Sorry I was quoting you there but didn't do it right - but what I would like to know is, what exactly is the product you mixed with the Isopropyl? Is it just bleach?
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

NEEM is a natural but powerful insecticide. Google it and youll be impressed. I use a solution regularly on bedding as we have cats and a dog, we have never had a flea problem, bedbugs/dustmites, keeps midges at bay in summer, treats ear mites in the dog and cats, and i use it on the kids in september for going back to school and they have NEVER had nits.
    http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Also, if you have been abroad, particularly to the USA, it's very important NOT to put your luggage back into your bedrooms.

There are bed bug problems in the US even in the best hotels. It's not a hygiene issue it's just that they're bloody well everywhere.

When you get home, empty out your luggage (preferably somewhere like in the garage) and wash all your clothes on a good long wash with plenty detergent then tumble dry them. Most insects would be unable to survive a wash with plenty of Ariel / Persil even at 40ºC if it's long enough.

If you've suits / woolens - dry clean them and check your shoes for anything.

Give the case and your shoes a good hoovering and just keep your case in the garage for a few weeks and any bed bugs should have starved by then as there's no source of food.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    Also, if you have been abroad, particularly to the USA, it's very important NOT to put your luggage back into your bedrooms.

There are bed bug problems in the US even in the best hotels. It's not a hygiene issue it's just that they're bloody well everywhere.

When you get home, empty out your luggage (preferably somewhere like in the garage) and wash all your clothes on a good long wash with plenty detergent then tumble dry them. Most insects would be unable to survive a wash with plenty of Ariel / Persil even at 40ºC if it's long enough.

Give the case and your shoes a good hoovering and just keep your case in the garage for a few weeks and any bed bugs should have starved by then as there's no source of food.

Actually, bedbugs can survive for up to a year dormant without a food supply and the water needs to be at least 60C to ensure the bugs and eggs are killed off. I had a lot of information from Rentokil about this, but I was looking for a top up homemade solution.

fif wrote: »
    Actually, bedbugs can survive for up to a year dormant without a food supply and the water needs to be at least 60C to ensure the bugs and eggs are killed off. I had a lot of information from Rentokil about this, but I was looking for a top up homemade solution.

The problem is that most clothes won't survive being washed at 60ºC without serious damage.

You can only really hope that the machine removes most of the eggs via strong detergent and washing them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Silly Question but.... How does one know they have bed bugs?

Yes it is a problem with most modern fabrics. One way to do it is to tumble dry the dry clothes on high for 30 minutes. I have done this with all my clothes and it doesn't cause them damage for the most part. The only things I wouldn't do this with are leather, suede, tights etc. I also did a fake fur jacket and it felt a bit harder afterwards. I put the tights and delicate underwear in the freezer for several weeks and that is also effective apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,455 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Solair wrote: »

40ºC may not kill bedbugs.

60C definately will.

• Advertisement

ronan45 wrote: »
    Silly Question but.... How does one know they have bed bugs?

It can be quite difficult, you have to search for them very carefully. When we had them (got them from a hotel in the US) only I had bite marks my husband did not so that is not a reliable way. Here are a couple of links on how to check for them:
    http://bedbugger.com/photos-of-bed-bugs-and-signs-of-bed-bugs/
    http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/pesticides/pdffiles/bb-identify1.pdf (warning - not pretty!)
    http://bedbugsinfo.ca/

It is a lot of work to effectively get rid of them so I hope you don't have them!

Interesting, apparently placing the clothes in sealed bags in a freezer that is colder than -17ºC will kill all adults, nymphs and eggs.

So, if you know your freezer is colder than that (most chest freezers and proper drawer type freezers go down to -24ºC) then you could put your clothes into sealed bags in there over night and then let them thaw and wash them at 40ºC and you should kill all of them without wrecking your clothes.

You could just wash bulkier items like towels or anything that will take 60ºC at a hotter temperature and avoid freezing them.

Advertisement