Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is coming up on LC 2013?

• 09-07-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So i have decided to sit the leaving cert next year, teaching myself and then sitting it in a school. But at the moment i don't really know what books, ect i should get. I was wondering if someone could help me with English by telling me who the poets, plays, act are to be studied for the LC next year and who they think might be coming up. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

SilentEcho wrote: »
    i don't really know what books, ect i should get. I was wondering if someone could help me with English by telling me who the poets, plays, act are to be studied for the LC next year and who they think might be coming up. Thanks :)

I think Macbeth is being studied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Plath, definitely Plath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

this is the English prescribed material for next year.
    http://english.slss.ie/resources/c/6/95/Prescribed%20Material%20for%20English%20in%20the%20Leaving%20Certificate%20Examination%202013.pdf

I would recommend studying the three women poets
    - bishop
    - plath
    - rich
    and pick a male poet of your choice.

Single Text - most do macbeth

Comparitive - Wuthering heights and how many mile to babylon? go well together. You will then have to take a movie of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Well, I'm heading into 6th year in September, so this is what I've done/what I will be doing for English:

Single text: Macbeth.

Comparative texts: I'm Not Scared (film)
    Sive (play)
    Wuthering Heights (novel)

Poetry: Elizabeth Bishop (6 poems)
    Adrienne Rich (6 poems)
    Derek Mahon (6 poems)
    Sylvia Plath (6 poems)
    And two other poets, but I'm not sure which yet.

Also, we've done some Paper One questions as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Also, remember for poetry there are SET POEMS to study. I'd agree with the poets mentioned above. Two women poets will probably be likely up. Plath and Bishop are quite likely. Do rich too, as they could mention her death. I'd also do two from either Shakespeare Mahon or Wordsworth. That's 5 poets, so you'd be safe. You can do 4 and risk it a bit. But you'll be fine with 3 women this year I'd say especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Sunny!! wrote: »
    this is the English prescribed material for next year.
    http://english.slss.ie/resources/c/6/95/Prescribed%20Material%20for%20English%20in%20the%20Leaving%20Certificate%20Examination%202013.pdf

I would recommend studying the three women poets
    - bishop
    - plath
    - rich
    and pick a male poet of your choice.

Single Text - most do macbeth

Comparitive - Wuthering heights and how many mile to babylon? go well together. You will then have to take a movie of your choice.

You do not have to do a film. Or, indeed, a novel or piece of drama. You may choose any combination you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Plath and Heaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Namlub wrote: »
    Plath and Heaney

Heaney is sort of unlikely, seeing as he's not even on the course for 2013

Heaney is sort of unlikely, seeing as he's not even on the course for 2013

That's irrelevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I'm pretty sure the fact Heaney NOT being on the Leaving Cert course for 2013 makes it relevant, so don't study Heaney! Also, you don't have to do a play, film and book, but it really helps to contrast them! Best of luck! Also, buy exam papers! And cliff notes!

• Advertisement

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the fact Heaney NOT being on the Leaving Cert course for 2013 makes it relevant, so don't study Heaney! Also, you don't have to do a play, film and book, but it really helps to contrast them! Best of luck! Also, buy exam papers! And cliff notes!

No. Literary genre is not a comparative mode this year. It makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

You do not have to do a film. Or, indeed, a novel or piece of drama. You may choose any combination you wish.
    You can only do one film max i think.

eoins23456 wrote: »
    You can only do one film max i think.

Well yes. I had taken that as a given.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Whoosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Literary Genre is indeed on the 2013 course...

2013 English Prescribed Material

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevek2840

im in 6th year and we use macbeth, how many miles to babylon, translations, poets, so far ive done, plath, rich and bishop but i think there is shakespeare, hopkins and wordsworth. the moviw is im not scared

im in 6th year and wondering are the exam papers out yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

stevek2840 wrote: »

No,they usually come out middle/ end of august.

We never touched our English papers. I only used them for predictions =P

Thanks for that!:D

Literary Genre is a mode for 2013...

• Advertisement

stevek2840 wrote: »

Read on edco.ie that papers will be out August 10th.

Advertisement