Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note #271 read before posting

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

A nice implementation would be for a link to the mod note to be inserted in the first post, or perhaps a post zero could be added with the note in it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Probably better off popping this idea in Site Development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not site development. A mod can edit the op and insert the link to the mod warning. It would certainly make it easier than searching for it down the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Its also useless when using m.boards as it doesn't give post numbers.
    It's not that hard to link it in the 1st post. Would make things a lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Or just stick it into the OP and note it as the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Mod note #873 etc is just stupid,if you want people to read it, put it in the first post,its not that hard is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They should just pm everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They should just pm everyone
    I have removed my thanks because I have a sneaking suspicion that you might not be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I have removed my thanks because I have a sneaking suspicion that you might not be joking.
    Of course I'm joking. I'm just one big joke...wait, no. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Actually I'd love that functionality; I can already see the "reply all" mass PMs going into a PM thunderstorm with in 15 min :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Orion wrote: »
    It's not site development. A mod can edit the op and insert the link to the mod warning. It would certainly make it easier than searching for it down the thread.

Maybe it should be feedforward? In any case it makes sense to me that it makes no sense to bury a notification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Orion wrote: »

A recent example of OP point.

History & Heritage Mod Warning Post 80
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056707287

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Soccer forum is the worst for this.

It would make everyone's life so much easier to stick the warning in the first post, including the mods.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are we allowed edit posts tho? Thought something came up ages ago that mods were advised to only edit posts unless absolutely required because to prevent libel becoming a possible issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I want an option that forces users to read and comprehend mod notes before posting.

Could you get on that right away lads? And when you're done, could you add the function that forces users to think before they type, and to not post stupid things, and the one that makes us all just, you know, get along?

:)

As was pointed out to me when I first became a mod, if anyone deletes their post before the mod note, the post number which contains the note also changes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd also recommend the use of moderator warnings in bolded text within quote tags in the original post, it's much easier than a warning in a random post somewhere down the thread. With the quote tags used it's easy for posters to differentiate between the warning and the original post.
    Sully wrote: »
    Are we allowed edit posts tho? Thought something came up ages ago that mods were advised to only edit posts unless absolutely required because to prevent libel becoming a possible issue?

I doubt it's a problem now that there's tractability with edits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Sully wrote: »
    How is it editing as such if you're just enclosing something like MODNOTE: READ THIS (either a link or pasted message there) either above or below the original post? You aren't putting words into anybody's mouth and as you aren't editing their wording how can you be libellous? Just my 2c.

Although I really like when mod warnings are on the first page instead of getting interested in a topic then wondering where that warning is before I reply etc, it would only work for those that bother reading the OP anyway. A lot of people dive into threads just to offload their grievances and don't care what the lay of the land has been so to speak. Is there any way you could get an aggressive sort of popup which you click to go to the mod warning? Or something that redirects you to the mods post but at the bottom has a link to take you back to where you were a moment ago, a bit like a sale going through on paypal then returned to the receipt page on the original website... if that makes sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

What about utilising the way polls are done ? Do them the same way as a poll but only displaying the warning and only a Mod can activate it. Shows up on top of every page.

Hell even just name the poll mod warning and set the option to Yes sir/No sir. Then ban all the no sirs from the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

LordSmeg wrote: »
    What about utilising the way polls are done ? Do them the same way as a poll but only displaying the warning and only a Mod can activate it. Shows up on top of every page.

Hell even just name the poll mod warning and set the option to Yes sir/No sir. Then ban all the no sirs from the thread.
    That'd be amusing as all hell. Another way would be thread-specific announces at the top of the page. That'd be effort though for the coders specifically and perm. for the mods could get messy.
    Some of the mods in AH and a couple other forums edit the first post and it does seem to work well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Last post on that is over a year old, doc. Why are you trying to resurrect a zombie thread? ;)

You have the ear of the biggie now, you old CMod you, can't you get something implemented? Surely it's only a matter of handing down an edict that all mod notes be put where they can be easily found.

Your OP was way better than mine, though...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I remember that thread. It actually seemed to stop afterwards with a lot of warnings going in the first post but the "mod warning post 456" has been creeping back in a lot lately for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I for one wouldn't be arsed chasing back to read mod notes, I do about 75% of my browsing on my phone now and I'm sure a lot of others have gone the same way, so it's a pain in the hoop. If it's a heated thread the mod note thing would just stop me posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Is the best outcome here for people not to break the first rule of boards.ie?

Don't be a dick!

:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724475

Here's a beaut! Post 627!

If you want to refer the DBAD rule, why the need for warnings in thread at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mitosis wrote: »
    I looked. Post #627 is not a Mod Warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

mitosis wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724475

Here's a beaut! Post 627!

If you want to refer the DBAD rule, why the need for warnings in thread at all?

it was quite obvious i was hinting at the ideal world, where unicorns exists and dogs poop rainbows.
    I looked. Post #627 is not a Mod Warning.

#626 is though, guessing it's a typo by the mod that edited the title.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's pitchforks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

#626 is though, guessing it's a typo by the mod that edited the title.
    Or one of the previous 626 posts was deleted by a mod.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement