Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this weed

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

The weed below is growing through my hornbeam hedge, anyone know what it is?

IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's horsetail.
    tough bugger to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Wow thanks that was quick. It's easy enough to pull out but i do get the feeling I'm leaving some behind in the ground. Using glyphosphate is a bit dodgy too as it does grow up through the hornbeam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glyphosate won't help much either, it's designed to be absorbed by leaves which the horsetail doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

glyphosate won't help much either, it's designed to be absorbed by leaves which the horsetail doesn't have.
    Spray shoots with glyphosate in summer. Tread down the shoots before spraying to bruise and crush them, which will allow the herbicide to enter the plant and be taken down to the roots.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problems/weeds/field-horsetail/472.html

Advertisement