Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC price increase?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

I'm an existing broadband and TV customer with UPC. Looking on their website, there's going to be a price increase in August, yet I haven't received any letter or notification (via text or email) about this.
    Now, if my bill is being increased, can I use this to get out of my contract with them on a certain date, eg 31 August, when I'm moving accommodation for college? My contract is due to run out in mid-September and I'd rather not pay for half a month when I don't know what my new house will have (I'm still looking for one atm).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

When they change the terms and conditions of the contract you are allowed to cancel within 30days. They say they will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of the change but that doesn't mean you'll actually receive anything. I suspect you need to cancel asap before the 1st August, then not use the service from the 1st August (using the service after this date will make you liable for fees at the new rate).

See sections 12.1 and 16 in your contract.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/74401UPC-conditions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I received 2 letters on wednesdat telling me of the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Where on the website does it outline the price increases? This is the first I've heard of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Where on the website does it outline the price increases? This is the first I've heard of it :(

http://www.upc.ie/television/Price_changes%28August_1st%29/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

slimjimmc wrote: »
    When they change the terms and conditions of the contract you are allowed to cancel within 30days. They say they will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of the change but that doesn't mean you'll actually receive anything. I suspect you need to cancel asap before the 1st August, then not use the service from the 1st August (using the service after this date will make you liable for fees at the new rate).

See sections 12.1 and 16 in your contract.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/74401UPC-conditions.pdf
    Cool, thanks for that. Wasn't sure what exactly the story was with it.
    Oracle wrote: »
    It's more that I don't want to pay for half of September when it mightn't be in use (and costing me €40) rather than I'm unhappy with the prices. I wouldn't be switching to another provider since I already have an O2 dongle for using internet at home.

I'm gonna stay with them for the sake of it. I've got August free (well for €1) with the student deal so it's not worth the hassle of cancelling when I'm happy with the service.

Ta for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The single biggest percentage increase is in their monthly "Payment Administration Fee" — now €3.75 + VAT x 12 months = €55.35 per annum. Just to take your money?

A bit ironic, given that
    (a) you have no option but to pay by DD, unless you pay a (barely legal) surcharge, and
    (b) their billing department are the most catastrophically inept shower of fûcktards I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Not pleased. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

peckerhead wrote: »
    The single biggest percentage increase is in their monthly "Payment Administration Fee" — now €3.75 + VAT x 12 months = €55.35 per annum. Just to take your money?

A bit ironic, given that
    (a) you have no option but to pay by DD, unless you pay a (barely legal) surcharge, and
    (b) their billing department are the most catastrophically inept shower of fûcktards I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Not pleased. :mad:
    I don't pay by d/d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Then you're paying an extra €55.35 a year from next month.

I just got word back from their CS that that monthly "Payment Administration Fee" refers to the extra charge to anyone not paying by DD.

So I'm slightly less displeased. But I wouldn't be if I was you! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Customers who signed up before this charge was added to their t's and c's don't have to have a DD to not have to pay this surcharge. However, I have to talk to a person if I want to make any changes to the account, as the first thing the online ordering system is make you sign up to a DD, which I will never do willingly for UPC or any utility bill.

I thought the last government was going to outlaw these charges (and similar ones put in by airlines) but they bottled it. I think Europe is going to force companies to remove them at some stage down the line, but wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi all

I received a text from UPC a few weeks ago saying that my broadband had been upgraded from 20MB to 25MB and that in order to get the new service all I had to do was unplug my modem and plug it back in.

When I purchased TV and broadband back in January, I deliberately went for the 20MB broadband and paid for the wireless router, which you only got when ordering the 25MB.

I rang UPC a few weeks ago to see what the story was with the 'improved service' and if I would be charged for it. They told me that I would indeed be charged but I explained that I specifically ordered the 20MB as it was cheaper and I do not use the net too much so it was adequate (no movie downloading, etc.). I do not want 25MB. They said that the 20MB is being scrapped and now 25MB is the lowest.

It will cost me an extra €2 - 3 per month, which I do not want to pay. They said that it had been deferred for the next two bills but will come in after that. The fact that they did not inform me adequately via the text (no info given) and that when I complained they told me I could cancel, does not endear them to me at all. I was very disappointed I must say. But not surprised from what I have read on boards and heard from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mine's a Pint

Yakuza wrote: »
    Customers who signed up before this charge was added to their t's and c's don't have to have a DD to not have to pay this surcharge..............

I thought the last government was going to outlaw these charges (and similar ones put in by airlines) but they bottled it. I think Europe is going to force companies to remove them at some stage down the line, but wouldn't hold my breath.

My contract with them (Cablelink) is many years old - but I switched to digital a few years ago. I cannot remember agreeing to new terms and conditions, not even signing anything except the couriers hand-held device as proof of delivery of the necessary equipment. The switch was done 100% on the phone. The only documents were installation instructions.

I got notification today of 2 new charges, the first a price increase (no problem with this), the second is connected to the DD. I feel nothing but anger that they feel they can get away with this. It must be stopped because it is plain wrong. UPC tried to charge a late payment fee a couple of years ago but they were stopped from doing it. When they were forced to stop, doubt that anybody was refunded a single penny. That leaves the incentive to invent new charges with the precedent established that even if the charge is unfair, they keep any moneys paid.

I shall ring their Customer Support tomorrow and ask them to forward (by post) proof of my authorisation to the T&C's which allow them to introduce the new charge.

Any idea's folks????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Finally received an email from UPC today about the price increase and I've 30 days to cancel. Does that mean I can ring them up on the 15-16th of August (roughly 4 weeks) and cancel then or I give them notice now and my services are gone in 30 days?

Advertisement