Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers !!!

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I have arranged a meeting with a local business man,I am going to pitch my skills and what i can bring to his company,He is not hiring at the moment and what have heard is he is happy with his staff.

He plans on expanding shortly,My pitch is for him to hire me under the Jobbridge as a 9-Month trial for "free" to see what i can offer

So my question is,If a dude approached you in this manner "Would you give him a shot?" or would he just be a cheeky git trying to grab a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

That depends entirely on how you present yourself. This can either come across as determined or nagging and to be fair, its a fine line to walk. Be immaculately prepared, well groomed, knowledgeable of HIS company, market, needs and then how you would address them. You need to sell yourself as much as possible.

I don't think its a bad idea, and the fact he agreed to meet you is promising.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I think its a great idea and if you present yourself well and know your stuff it could work out very well for you. The hardest part is to get people to agree to meet you, you have already got that far so now its all up to you go for it give it everything and do your research on the company.

Best of luck

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Fair play, we need more people like you in Ireland. You've identified a job you'd like in a business which has potential to expand, that's exactly what the job bridge is about. Trying someone in a role to see if there is potential to create a job that wouldn't be there otherwise and by showing the initiative to bring it to the business owner on a risk reversal basis i'd say you have a great probability of success.

As the others said research the person, the business and the sector before your meeting. Demonstrate this during your meeting with solid questions like: a similar business in Australia advertise in such a manor and have had some success do you think this model would be applicable or similar to this business?

The one thing i would suggest is to value your time. 9 months is a long time to be on Jobs Bridge and unfortunately some people can take advantage of this scheme. The business owner will be more interested in bottom line anyway. So i would suggest saying "if i can bring in X in sales or increase productivity by Y etc, would you then make me full time at Z salary per annum or after 9 months or at any time before we can part ways if it doesn't work out". After all if you deliver more than your proposed salary in net profit in month two you deserve the job there and then. So you must set reasonable expectations for both sides, certainly you don't want the person thinking your only making X on the jobs scheme so he'll match that after 9 months instead of giving you market rates for the performance.

Once again I admire your initiative, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

As an Employer, I would hire you, if you were up to the job, but agree with Ronan in regard to not getting taken advantage of.

I would suggest a Three Month & Six Month review period.

Goo Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i admire your efforts........and hope you succed....

shame if you have to work for nothing.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Nailed it !!!!:D Starting next week...So happy i now can put the head down for a couple of months and turn this into long term employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Interesting idea. I could really do with some payroll experience to bulk up my CV, but's impossible to get any work in the area, catch 22!!
    Do you mind me asking how you decided on this particular company, and how you approached them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Good luck to the OP who seems happy but here we have another employer getting a worker for free when they were apparently going to start hiring, presumably paying the going rate for the job.

... here we have another employer getting a worker for free when they were apparently going to start hiring, presumably paying the going rate for the job.

Nonsense! The employer wasn't hiring. Op just got off his ass and created a job for himself and more than likely down the road will have the knock on effect of creating more jobs for others. What they have done is like a more targeted and motivated version of Fas's Jobs Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Ye im sorry patrick i dont agree with your bitter sentiments that the comman "man" is being put out onto the street by someone like the OP getting off his hole and pitching for a position..

Just as ronan suggested, that 9 month position may in fact give added value to the extent where the business my be inclined to keep him on or actually hire someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If more people took initiative the world would be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Well done OP, fair play to you for using your initiative and creating a position!

Don't forget to remind your employer about the PRSI incentive scheme when the time comes to be taken on as another incentive for them.

Nonsense! The employer wasn't hiring. Op just got off his ass and created a job for himself and more than likely down the road will have the knock on effect of creating more jobs for others. What they have done is like a more targeted and motivated version of Fas's Jobs Bridge.

According to the OP....He plans on expanding shortly. Does that not suggesting expanding means hiring more staff?. Anyway apologies, I realised I posted in the wrong forum, jobs bridge is obviously popular here.
    If people offering to work for free is the way forward then this country is screwed.

According to the OP....He plans on expanding shortly. Does that not suggesting expanding means hiring more staff?. Anyway apologies, I realised I posted in the wrong forum, jobs bridge is obviously popular here.
    If people offering to work for free is the way forward then this country is screwed.

The employer has plans for expansion NEXT YEAR,Which hopefully i will be first in line for hiring full-time.

In fairness to the employer,He kept stressing he wasn't in a position to pay me and that he would take a punt on me through the Job-Bridge at no financial risk.

He also drafted a plan of what i would be learning and doing over the next 9 months and it suited us both.

The Job-Bridge is a great scheme,Just needs to be regulated properly

dearg lady wrote: »
    Interesting idea. I could really do with some payroll experience to bulk up my CV, but's impossible to get any work in the area, catch 22!!
    Do you mind me asking how you decided on this particular company, and how you approached them?

I chose the company because it's an expanding business within Ireland and a company i would like to move forward with,I also chose it because it was local-ish,I could financially survive there for the period of the scheme.

After that i researched on-line and found the name of the company director and cold called his office for a message to be left with him..Twice.

I asked for 5 minutes of his time over a cup of coffee at any time that suited him and he agreed.

I would urge many more to try this approach,It immediately shows drive,ambition and initiative .

No-one is saying people should work for free, but yeah most people interested in chatting on an enterprise forum would applaud someone who had the get up and go to create a career for himself / herself. Expanding is often different to hiring - a farmer may double the number of cows in a field without taking on any new staff. And as we said - go in prove yourself and then get onto the payroll at a fair market rate as soon as possible. OP has identified a carrer in a company he thinks the future is going to be bright in, I'd much rather work in a growing company than settle for a career where there is a cul-de-sac sign on the door.

Jobs bridge is a good concept, I've hired several people that we're working through that program with other companies and mine. Anyone who is willing to work rather than sit on their ass all day moaning about how unfair life is while claiming the dole deserves a chance in my books. Employers are finding it hard to hire at the moment, banks wont lend and often an employee is an overhead rather than an income maker in their first few months as they get trained up and learn the job.

You seem to imply that the OP somehow stole someones job - Nonsense. Entrepreneurs every day put their money and time on the line, and frankly don't owe you or the country jobs. If we don't succeed we don't get paid, but our staff do and if an employee sucks at their job and gets fired - they have a safety net (welfare) entrepreneurs don't.

If someone comes to a business and says I have an idea and I too am willing to shoulder some of the risk to prove that I can create some value worthy of you hiring me. Every employer here will say that they are far more likely to be a good hire than to take someone who spent his day on the couch thinking life is unfair cause they weren't handed a living on a silver platter. Believe me if the employer thought hiring someone was a sure way to get a return on investment, they would already have filled the position.

Wait till you see, I bet OP goes in every morning appreciating the opportunity, gives 120% effort and in far less than 9 months will be on the pay roll. But then 2 years on he will still be giving 120% and probably be in management, because its that attitude that is hard to hire.

No-one is saying people should work for free, but yeah most people interested in chatting on an enterprise forum would applaud someone who had the get up and go to create a career for himself / herself. Expanding is often different to hiring - a farmer may double the number of cows in a field without taking on any new staff. And as we said - go in prove yourself and then get onto the payroll at a fair market rate as soon as possible. OP has identified a carrer in a company he thinks the future is going to be bright in, I'd much rather work in a growing company than settle for a career where there is a cul-de-sac sign on the door.

Jobs bridge is a good concept, I've hired several people that we're working through that program with other companies and mine. Anyone who is willing to work rather than sit on their ass all day moaning about how unfair life is while claiming the dole deserves a chance in my books. Employers are finding it hard to hire at the moment, banks wont lend and often an employee is an overhead rather than an income maker in their first few months as they get trained up and learn the job.

You seem to imply that the OP somehow stole someones job - Nonsense. Entrepreneurs every day put their money and time on the line, and frankly don't owe you or the country jobs. If we don't succeed we don't get paid, but our staff do and if an employee sucks at their job and gets fired - they have a safety net (welfare) entrepreneurs don't.

If someone comes to a business and says I have an idea and I too am willing to shoulder some of the risk to prove that I can create some value worthy of you hiring me. Every employer here will say that they are far more likely to be a good hire than to take someone who spent his day on the couch thinking life is unfair cause they weren't handed a living on a silver platter. Believe me if the employer thought hiring someone was a sure way to get a return on investment, they would already have filled the position.

Wait till you see, I bet OP goes in every morning appreciating the opportunity, gives 120% effort and in far less than 9 months will be on the pay roll. But then 2 years on he will still be giving 120% and probably be in management, because its that attitude that is hard to hire.

Ok sorry I said I wouldn't post again but I had to reply, have you ever hired anyone for free as you said no one is saying people should do this?
    BTW I've been both an employer and employee for 30 years but have never hired someone without agreeing a proper salary, never expected someone to work for free.

Ok sorry I said I wouldn't post again but I had to reply, have you ever hired anyone for free as you said no one is saying people should do this?

When I said i've hired people from JobsBridge that means someone who's currently working on JobsBridge for X company while looking for full time employment, which as it happens two newbies that joined my business recently had been doing. We've also had staff in from Jobs Bridge who ended up on payroll.

Putting their CV beside someone where everything was equal otherwise and I had to choose one for interview, I'll go with the motivated one every time. What I said was no-one should take advantage of people by getting them to do a job where they have no potential to gain employment from the work they do. Be it training, experience or proving a concept that leads to a position being created. Jobbank doesn't mean firing someone and taking on a free worker instead. Because someone is not being paid gives them great leverage to pick and choose which opportunity they will go for, and to interview the business in terms of what they will get back out of their effort.

Jobs bridge isn't working for free they get paid a small amount extra, about 50 quid a week. But the real opportunity is for someone to create a job for themselves, which you wont be able to do watch Jeremy Kyle on the couch.

In the next three months between the businesses I own, my managers will be hiring 100+ seasonal staff. I'll also be involved with 3 new start up ventures. The ones who are in or have been in the job-bank program, or done anything else to demonstrate their motivation and why we should pick them over another candidate, will get the job.

Ps. Are you saying in 30 years you've never once had an intern? Would you not think maybe by not giving someone access to see the industry you are doing them a bad turn?

Advertisement