Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera's, Covert -vs- Overt system?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

We were robbed last year a few days before christmas and quite annoyed me as it was actually our last day in that house as we were moving also and want to put in some for of security system in our current house,

I am more in favour of camera's vs alarm as a camera system self installed would proabably be a nice bit cheaper

while having big bulky camera's inside and out might give you the feel of a bank would they really be worth it I wonder?

If I were to break into a house and I seent hose camera's is only a case of masking up before going in but what about hidden camera's?

I just though it would be better to give the property the apperance of having no security system cameras and to quietly record the intruders un-knowingly being recorded and hopfully as they didnt see the need to cover their faces they would be seen on camera

if one were to record intruders in this manner would a sign have to be put somewhere to sate cctv in operation or is it even legal?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Donkathon wrote: »

I am more in favour of camera's vs alarm as a camera system self installed would proabably be a nice bit cheaper

while having big bulky camera's inside and out might give you the feel of a bank would they really be worth it I wonder?
    I would only be in favour of a CCTV system to compliment an alarm not instead of one. If you have to choose then it should be an alarm first.
    If I were to break into a house and I seent hose camera's is only a case of masking up before going in
    Pretty much, yes.
    but what about hidden camera's?
    Its down to choice, deter or capture the event.

if one were to record intruders in this manner would a sign have to be put somewhere to sate cctv in operation or is it even legal?
    Its perfectly legal to record on your own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its perfectly legal to record on your own property.

Do you need to post those signs as I see them in a lot of places "CCTV in operation"? or are they just a deterant and not a legal requirement?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are a deterrent. There is no requirement on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd go with the alarm first, a professionally installed alarm is a good deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If you want to be in a position to actually Identify someone on a CCTV system, let me tell you this, you will need LOTS of cameras.

Other than that you are only kidding yourself, being honest with you many householders think that 4 cameras 'will do'.

They 'will do', thats about all though,because usually people want to see every thing with 1 camera, on average this is 4 cameras around the perimeter of a standard house.
    So the householder will see everything, but then when an actual criminal offence takes place, the offender's image on the picture is too small for identification.

But my advice would be, if you want to prevent a burglary, invest in an intruder alarm. As has been mentioned by all means a CCTV system, but it is secondary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement