Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc build €800 budget?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Right lads,
    Starting gaming on a pc about six months ago on a very old pc that I bought secondhand . The rig struggles with the likes of gta 4 and others I can't think of at the moment. I'm absolutely hooked on skyrim at the moment which I play on 1920*1080 with low detail settings, sometimes a bit of lagging. These are the specs on the pc I'm using now.

Pentium d dual core 3.0ghz processor.
    Windows 7 ultimate.
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 gts 512mb.
    Kingston ram 4 gigabyte of pc2-5300 ddr2 667.
    Soundblaster extreme music pci card(5.1 surround)
    160gb seagate barracuda
    Sata 7200 hard disc drive.
    Multimedia sd card reader.
    DVD rewriter drive.
    350 watt power.

I haven't got a clue about computer technics lads. The only reason I know my pcs specs is because I got a print out with it.

I have a €800 budget and would appreciate some advice on a new rig. Also would it be worth my while keeping any of the above components for the new build?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Right lads,
    Starting gaming on a pc about six months ago on a very old pc that I bought secondhand . The rig struggles with the likes of gta 4 and others I can't think of at the moment. I'm absolutely hooked on skyrim at the moment which I play on 1920*1080 with low detail settings, sometimes a bit of lagging. These are the specs on the pc I'm using now.

Pentium d dual core 3.0ghz processor.
    Windows 7 ultimate.
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 gts 512mb.
    Kingston ram 4 gigabyte of pc2-5300 ddr2 667.
    Soundblaster extreme music pci card(5.1 surround)
    160gb seagate barracuda
    Sata 7200 hard disc drive.
    Multimedia sd card reader.
    DVD rewriter drive.
    350 watt power.

I haven't got a clue about computer technics lads. The only reason I know my pcs specs is because I got a print out with it.

I have a €800 budget and would appreciate some advice on a new rig. Also would it be worth my while keeping any of the above components for the new build?

Thanks for your time.
    You should keep Windows 7, the disc drive (if it's SATA) and the card reader. Also, you can keep the 160GB HDD as well.

So, you just need the actual desktop? No monitors or other peripherals?

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.94
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.91
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.89
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.26
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€55.07
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€174.57
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil|€55.99
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€279.81
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€68.01
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€828.44

That is with the option to get it built.

What is the resolution of your monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andromeda76

Cheers for the reply,
    I use a 37" LCD tv. The resolution is 1920*1080. I sit about 1.5 to 2 meters away. Suits my room perfect. How much would it cost if I built it myself, I'm a electrician by trade so I'm fairly competent with my hands. Although I've never tried anything like this.

Also windows came already installed on the pc when I bought it so I've no disc. I don't need any peripherals thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Also windows came already installed on the pc when I bought it so I've no disc.

Well then, drop the graphics card to a 7850 and get Windows 7 64-bit.

It'd cost you €20 less than what the total is, as the "Rechner - Zussamenbau" option would be removed. That's just the assembly option.

How much for windows 7 and the original graphics card? Would there be much difference in performance with the new card you suggested and what settings will this rig run current titles like (high or ultra). Sorry about all the questions, just very new to all this. Learning all the time tough and enjoying it, hope you dont mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

the 7850 will run skyrim on ultra easily.

Thanks for the reply Daz. What about the likes of crysis 2. I've heard it's the most demanding game on the market at moment. Is there much difference between the 7850 and the 7870, would I be better of spending that bit extra for the 7870 for future titles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Cheers sarz, would the difference in frps be noticeable at res 1920*1080. Do you think it worth shelling out for the 7870? Probably a silly question:confused:

If you've got the funds for a 7870, yes its faster. 7870 overclocked heavily will keep up with a lightly overclocked 7970 or a stock 680. 7850 is a great bang for buck card because it keeps up with and sometimes passes the GTX 580. Is 800 your absolute limit?

• Advertisement

No, I could probably stretch to €900 if needs be. Who is the best people to go for builds and prices? I'm presuming eboggles, the guy I was talking to earlier works for a company that builds or maybe just an enthusiast. Who would you use yourself?

No, I could probably stretch to €900 if needs be. Who is the best people to go for builds and prices? I'm presuming eboggles, the guy I was talking to earlier works for a company that builds or maybe just an enthusiast. Who would you use yourself?

Most people on here use hardwareversand along with dabs.ie and scan.co.uk. I think the majority of parts are ordered off of hardwareversand.de. I just placed an order with them on Saturday.

Cheers Sarz, thanks I,ll look them up.

Advertisement