Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portraiture - what goes behind the subject?

• 09-07-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

So I'm torn between 'workshop' and main forum for this, but I don't necessarily want a discussion on gear/product recommendations, so I've put it here.

Ok, so we're taking a portrait, we have our subject front & centre (or a 3rd of the way from one side!).

What is nice behind them, assuming studio conditions?

I know those mottled backgrounds are very popular, and look well when out of focus on say a headshot, but what about a full body portrait, or with multiple people, they can look, for want of a better phrase, tacky.

Are there any more modern trends in portraiture when it comes to backgrounds? Is it more natural to have people in a sitting room type setting, or rent a location? Outside is always popular but it's harder to control the light and impossible to control the weather.

I'd like to take more people photos, I mainly do landscapes, but I'm stumped on against what to take people?

Anyone got any neat tricks or ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Don't sure if it helps, but I'll pose a question, why are you assuming a "studio" setting?

Does it have to be a studio, perhaps the subject would be more comfortable in their own environment, the lighting might be more difficult to control but the end result might be worth the work on the light.

Just a thought for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

I picked up a neat trick of the net, I use backing boards, Type found on back of wardrobes? covered in Wallpaper, endless posibilities of backrounds, I use the backdrop then to cover the floor.

My backing board is in 2 foot strips for easy storage, about 6 foot high then, rest up against the wall with backdrop on the floor, works deadly and its cheapish.

I've seen backing board used before with patterns on it alright. Doesn't seem very portable though, so you'd need to have a consistent studio location.

I use the Lastolite Hilite for most of my stuff. I also have a collapsable double sided backdrop (blue/peach-ish) and the black bottle top (I love the black for nude shots of people with light coloured hair).

I find that the patterns/detail on the blue/peach can be a little noticeable on fully body and group shots, but I don't think it distracts too much. The only thing to note is that the floor of these backdrops, unless pinned down, or such, tends to wrinkle and crease as the person moves around (which I personally like, but I know some people don't).

The hilite is white, and is lit behind the material:

A6A983D882A84EC092BC8F2E47866136-0000333410-0002925820-00500L-4E453A16A6994756AFA95F201979CAF5.jpg

Or you can not use lighting in it for a greyish look:

39C06128EC8F4AE6AB634D989DE44B0B-0000333410-0002925822-00500L-CDA1D4A92C4D4D0FA607A2FEED02D096.jpg

Then there's the blue:

E90BFA997875472095551FA331B36863-0000333410-0002925824-00500L-D4DB983B1FC94859BE0EB795BF81B35A.jpg

Which isn't as noticeable in a headshot:

D6D9946E967248C9B8D97D496F00BE91-0000333410-0002925823-00500L-22EB6FFBEFBE4F0BA66A08AF787358EB.jpg

The 'peachy' sort of colour:

AFF11A73499E43B98FAE6EFFD7262D55-0000333410-0002925825-00500L-5892114C6C2449B4AA83405386D14BC8.jpg

And then, when you get bored of them, I sometimes use gels on my flash units, fired against the hilite, to get whatever other colour I'm after:

ADE2F96B9FCF4E5794B0A95857E86E51-0000333410-0002925821-00500L-D3D98DD0E1C6442ABC9EBB1DD16D3CC1.jpg

Or you can use several gels for different effects (I can't remember exactly, but think this was red to the right, blue to the left):

4B78AC03E3BB496888A75F793642D39F-0000333410-0002925850-00500L-11F2E0FB7352424E80B79CB5901A0E20.jpg

So there's plenty of options.

I know (of) a photographer that uses large scale printing for backgrounds. He gets a group that do printing for banners, leaflets, vehicle decals, etc. and gets them to print a 7x8 foot print of a stock image (could be a beach or a Hawaiian hut, Garage, brick wall, street scene, etc.) and he does portraiture against that to make it look like the person is somewhere they're not (Depth of Field has to be thin though to make it look okay, apparently).

I've never tried that myself, but I've heard it can work. I actually went looking to get a beach-house kind of setting printed, but the only materials I could find that'd work on a large print like that (according to the printer i talked to) was too glossy/reflective, so I didn't bother in the end. Rather just use a real beach.

With regards to 'is outside better' or 'renting a location', that depends heavily in what you want to do. Personally, the only time I'd be renting a specific location is if it was a commercial session and I needed an elaborate location (nightclub or something along those lines).

Your average family portrait for example, won't need an elaborate backdrop. The simpler the better, in that case.

If you have a wander around your town, and you have a willing/adventurous model, I'm sure you can try to match a location to their look (if they have a specific 'look', that is).

I find that the only people who ask me about doing it outside or in unusual places are those who either have the photograph in their head already, or those who are trying to put some kind of modelling/acting portfolio together (or if it's just me wanting to do something different).

That said, some hotels can be good to deal with and will allow you to use their rooms and such at an hourly rate or at a reduced price for photography. Some won't, though. I did this before and it was grand, but it was a lot of the same after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ur portraits are far better without the light in the 1st pic, it just look's totally overblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

2, 3, 4 and 5 I prefer the 'light'
    2 and 4 I think are the best but a little tight?
    5 is better then 3 but maybe a little centre?

I know they weren't c&c but I couldn't resist...

On a personal level I prefer portraits outdoors. :p

• Advertisement

Ur portraits are far better without the light in the 1st pic, it just look's totally overblown.

Well I have a tendency to over expose my photos anyway, to be honest (either in camera or afterward in post). I like brighter photos. The first photo would be among my favourite of those posted. I like the white background in that (but I also like the overall brightness of it. Obviously it's all personal preference).

Those photos weren't particularly chosen cos I thought they were good, though. More so because they helped demonstrate what I was talking about. 6 is a self-portrait, by the way. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I'm all for plain backgrounds when taking group shots. If I feel like it's too plain then I add a texture in post but that would be rare.
    I have a cheap stand and 3 paper rolls. I also have a pop up 6'x5' Lasolite background and I've never found I've needed anything else.
    Here's some of my indoor stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

I've bought a background folder recently and am trying to think what to put on it. I like the idea of being able to bring a setup to someones house and without too much fuss put together a studio for doing for example a family portrait.

I'd be all for using the peoples actual living room for instance, but the only thing about that is would people really like to hang a picture of their living room in their living room!?

KKV - when examining the options available I came across these photorealistic backdrops which may interest you, they have at least one with a beach hut there...

http://www.karlu.com/backgrounds-photo-realistic-backgrounds-c-70_848.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would a green screen for chormakey not be the best of all worlds if your in a studio setting? Sure it requires some post work but it's not that difficult inside of photoshop.

Or would the green spill just be too much of a hassle to make it worth while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

ScumLord wrote: »
    Would a green screen for chormakey not be the best of all worlds if your in a studio setting? Sure it requires some post work but it's not that difficult inside of photoshop.

Or would the green spill just be too much of a hassle to make it worth while?

Pulling a good key off hair and fine detail is not easy or fun. You'll lose a lot of detail - unacceptably so in my book.

Backgrounds in a studio? White, black and grey are all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Pulling a good key off hair and fine detail is not easy or fun. You'll lose a lot of detail - unacceptably so in my book.
    Yeah, you need twice as much light but if the lighting is done right you won't lose much if any detail. It is a pain in the rear though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A good greenscreen setup will be cheaper and easier than having all the backdrops you could possibly want, though!

Advertisement