Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting My Job - Do I need to hand in my notice?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

I'm working part time for the last year in my job but I've really hated it for the last month. I just want to quit now and go to England but don't really know how to go about. I don't really want to finish out this week even. Should I just ring my boss and say I got another job or something? Also do I ring my manager or the actual owner? Don't really know what to do!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You must give notice. Have a look at citizen information wewbsite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The obvious thing would be to hand in your notice! I'm surprised you even thought to ask...

Have a look at your contract. It should give the appropriate notice periods. Generally, if you're paid weekly, it'll be a week's notice; if monthly then a month's notice.

I know you don't like the job, but you're planning to behave in an unprofessional manner. You'll need a reference, and you won't get that if you just walk out on a job. Always leave a job on the best possible terms, even if you feel like taking your boss outside for a slap! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You'll need a reference, and you won't get that if you just walk out on a job. Always leave a job on the best possible terms, even if you feel like taking your boss outside for a slap! ;)

+1

Plus, you might be owed holiday pay, so if you play things the correct way, your last pay cheque might be a bit more than you expected. If it is not, and they do owe you money, you stand a bettr chance of getting it if you have behaved correctly. If work is that dreadful, and you do have some holiday time owed, then give them notice but ask if you can take your annual leave in lieu of notice - this will minimise the amount of time you need to actually work.

All employees are entitled to holiday pay - even part timers. 8% of the hours you worked in a year (or portion there of) - so if you worked 100 hours, you get 8 hours paid hols for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

hey

definitely hand in your notice. if you are part time and working there under a year you only need to give one weeks notice. it will look better on you especially if a new job rings them looking for a reference

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your notice needs to be in writing too - otherwise you could later claim that you never actually quit, and make a lot of trouble for the boss. Address it to the person who hired you (manager or owner).

Something like:

Dear XXX>

I am resigning from my job with you, effective <<date>>

Yours sincerely
    Joe Bloggs

at a minimum - maybe more if you want to keep good relationships with anyone from there (eg to be a referee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Print up a short note in writing outlining your intention to leave (as above), ask your manager for a quick word in their office, explain that you're planning to move to England in the near future so you will need to leave but that you're grateful for all the experience and that you hope to keep in touch in the future. Ask them if they would be happy for you to use them as a reference as you will be applying for jobs in the UK. You can always say to them that you are looking to move in the near future and if there's any flexibility on working the notice period you'd be happy with anything they can let you take off.

It might be the worst job you've ever had in the world but there is zero benefit in burning your bridges and lots of advantages in being polite and grateful, even if it's all lies.

Advertisement