Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good SDS Drill Advice

• 09-07-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for advice on what would be a good SDS drill for a DIY'er. I want something that's going to last quite a few years and get the job done when required.

I've been looking at one of these:-
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/hitachi-sds-plus-hammer-drill-220v-800w-motor-24mm-chuck-dh24pc3.html?osCsid=psk8qep2s8229md2n91c3r5dd2

Impact energy 3.2 joules seems ok?

The other reason I want to buy one is that I've to take up a little bit of a path / slab outside the house to fix a leaking drain. I'll probably have to take out 40cm x 40cm patch about 20cm deep of concrete. I assume this SDS chisel would be well cable of this, if I cut / drill the concrete first?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

I dont like hitachi drills, the few that i have used have had problems with the cord developing a faulty connection where the cable is connected to the tool, although in saying that I haven't used that model and I was using them at work, not for DIY so it should do the job perfectly for you. 3.2 joules is more than enough for DIY.
    Bosch or Makita would be my choice although they are a bit more expensive. What's your budget?
    Check out parfix, Handyhardware, caulfield industrial, ptrs.

For breaking up concrete paths just drill a load of holes along the perimeter and then some more within the perimeter of the holes to weaken the piece you want to take out and then break up with a sledge. Wear goggles/safety glasses cause concrete likes to fly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

+1 on the hitachi. My brother bought set of hitachi drills and they only lasted 3 months.

Makita is the only way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi guys, thanks for the heads up, was looking to spend a max of €150, ex vat.

Never thought of the sledge hammer, lots of joules there :-)

Any other drill recommendations welcome too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I bought a makita 3 action SDS on ebay, from genuine UK supplier for less that 150. :D

Only buy from genuine UK tool suppliers, there is dodgy stuff out there.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Had a 24V Hitachi that took dog's abuse for the bones of two years. I know it's not the same thing,surprised to hear the 230V give trouble.
    Brother has a Metabo 230V he's has it the bones of three years,mostly drilling 6-14 mm holes(he's an electrician). No complaints with it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi All,

Looking for advice on what would be a good SDS drill for a DIY'er. I want something that's going to last quite a few years and get the job done when required.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/hitachi-sds-plus-hammer-drill-220v-800w-motor-24mm-chuck-dh24pc3.html?osCsid=psk8qep2s8229md2n91c3r5dd2

The other reason I want to buy one is that I've to take up a little bit of a path / slab outside the house to fix a leaking drain. I'll probably have to take out 40cm x 40cm patch about 20cm deep of concrete. I assume this SDS chisel would be well cable of this, if I cut / drill the concrete first?

600mm and 1000m long SDS bits in Aldi for 10 euro at the moment.

4 drill bits in the 600mm pack (10.12.16 and 22mm)

3 drill bits in the 1000mm pack (12.16.24mm)

They also had some tubs with 4 different chisel bits in them for 10 euro aswell.

Good drill bits too.:)

Hi All,

Bought this in Lidi for 50 euro a few months ago.Comes with a selection of drill bits and chisels,and a 3 year warrenty too.

Cracking good SDS drill.:)

pic of the drill bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I've been using Bosch blue tools for years, and have had nothing but good experience.

I have one of these which I used to do a similar job to the path in my garden. Have also used it to core drain holes in 4" solids with no hassle.

I can also recommend www.toolstop.co.uk. Reasonable and fast shipping.

Advertisement