Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA annoyance with UK qualifications

Options
  • 09-07-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have spent quite a lot of time preparing to return to higher education this year, researching which university I wanted to attend, what courses would suit me and even practising writing longhand for the MSAP exams because I recognised it as a weakness. I was getting copies of the forms I would require in advance so I could see what would be needed, this year they changed the BTE 1 form and added a requirement that stated that qualifications obtained abroad must be certified by Qualifications Recognition Ireland (www.qualrec.ie), I now have to get all the exams I passed in the UK over twenty years ago certified. Why on earth did they not flag this up in advance, I have to go see a solicitor tomorrow to get photocopies certified as genuine and you can bet that wont be free.

Expletive laden rant not typed out but you can bet I feel like writing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Maybe I'm wrong but if you have been accepted on mature grounds your qualifications from abroad aren't relevant? Like for a mature student they don't need their Leaving Cert results and can get in based on interview or MSAP etc. Then if they don't get in on these grounds, they can also be considered with everyone else based on their results, so you get like 2 chances.

So if you've been accepted based on your MSAP results or something I don't think these exams would matter? But maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

Sadly you are wrong, this has nothing to do with being offered a place which I have, this is the bit about paying for it. The BTEA would allow me to attend university and do things like eat, travel and buy books and they have just added a whole new hoop for me to jump through which was not there before and will cost me money which I don't have a whole lot of to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

lostbooks wrote: »
    I now have to get all the exams I passed in the UK over twenty years ago certified. Why on earth did they not flag this up in advance, I have to go see a solicitor tomorrow to get photocopies certified as genuine and you can bet that wont be free.

I have seen people getting photocopies certified in garda stations. Not sure if this is an option for you. But if it is then it is free of charge AFAIK.

It's not listed on the form but it's worth a try I suppose, they mention Justice of the Peace, a Notary Public, a lawyer or solicitor. Honestly I'll jump through all the hoops they put in the way I just wanted to vent that they added an extra step that will delay my application and cause me stress when I want to still keep bouncing around for joy that nine weeks from now is my first day of university!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

It's not listed on the form but it's worth a try I suppose, they mention Justice of the Peace, a Notary Public, a lawyer or solicitor. Honestly I'll jump through all the hoops they put in the way I just wanted to vent that they added an extra step that will delay my application and cause me stress when I want to still keep bouncing around for joy that nine weeks from now is my first day of university!

You should book an appointment with the Citizens advice bureau solicitor to get them certified this would be free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I'm pretty sure a garda should be okay, you could ring up & ask in the morning to save you paying for a solicitor. They often witness signatures and that sort of thing. Worth ringing up to ask if it could save you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is that not a Garda? :confused:

Quick update on this issue.

The Garda would not certify a copy of my documents but they would witness it if I signed the document. That is not what I need which is certified copies so I had to get that certification done by a solicitor.

Larianne wrote: »
    Is that not a Garda? :confused:

A justice of the peace is a layperson with legal abilities but without full legal training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

What exam results are they looking at? And has this BTE1 form only just been released?

Advertisement