Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biffo goes back to school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Economics class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Ah he's only gone for the Frat Parties and Spring Break! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I sometimes think he was more sincere then what we have now. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

hondasam wrote: »

He'd have kept well away from flower-pots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He'd have kept well away from flower-pots.

:D

I don't think he would be as crank as Enda about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I hope there is no economics on the course , as he has not much apptitude for business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

So nobody commented on this
    The ex-Offaly politician is enjoying life in the Californian college, whose previous graduates include astronaut Sally Ride

For shame After Hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Probably claiming Back to Education grants too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

In unrelated news, Mythbusters are looking for a new dummy to test their latest explosives myths on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/08/article-2170386-13F88804000005DC-20_306x718.jpg ........... Zack Sawyer.. "I wear long sleeved shirts under short sleeved shirts under long sleeved shirts."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Biffo the Clara Dunce goes back for repeats:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GAAman wrote: »
    So nobody commented on this
    The ex-Offaly politician is enjoying life in the Californian college, whose previous graduates include astronaut Sally Ride

For shame After Hours!
    OK I'll have a go

Sally Ride was reported as saying that she found aspirin easier to swallow when the little arrow pointed to back of her throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Good to see him getting back on his feet.
    With our money after he left us it this mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maykitrayen

Oh god, the evening herald.

The intellects are out on Boards.ie tonight, aren't they? Screaming over 4 year old news and quoting the herald for a news source.

Bleak times ahead, folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I feel sorry for those who read sensationalist tripe such as The Herald and The Journal.ie whose sole purpose it seems is to troll those on welfare by highlighting how much everyone else is getting on with their lives.

85% are employed?! Those bastards! They shouldn't be living their life while we choose not to! How are they?!

That "article" amounts to:
    A well known man has gone back to college?! LOOK! You guys, LOOK! They have draft beers on the menu! And ice cream! Someone, quickly, get the ropes up on the trees, it's time to start lynching again but forget the blacks this time, lets go for those who have stuff we don't! What bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I feel sorry for those who read sensationalist tripe such as The Herald and The Journal.ie whose sole purpose it seems is to troll those on welfare by highlighting how much everyone else is getting on with their lives.

85% are employed?! Those bastards! They shouldn't be living their life while we choose not to! How are they?!

A well known man has gone back to college?! LOOK! You guys, LOOK! They have draft beers on the menu! And ice cream! Someone, quickly, get the ropes up on the trees, it's time to start lynching again but forget the blacks this time, lets go for those who have stuff we don't! What bastards!

Theres so many vitriolic allusions in your post there its difficult to know where to start

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Theres so many vitriolic allusions in your post there its difficult to know where to start
    If you think that the article you posted was written with anything more than winding up the "have nots" in Irish society then you're very naive.

The same behaviour can be witnessed from the "authors" on TheJournal.ie whose selective editing and crazy, sensationalist headings have driven their status down to being equitable with that of The Sun (but obviously not achieving the same success) with a readership that could be deemed to be the polar opposite of that of the Daily Mail.

You seem familiar.
    I sense a rereg.... a harrowing rereg

• Advertisement

If you think that the article you posted was written with anything more than winding up the "have nots" in Irish society then you're very naive.

The same behaviour can be witnessed from the "authors" on TheJournal.ie whose selective editing and crazy, sensationalist headings have driven their status down to being equitable with that of The Sun (but obviously not achieving the same success) with a readership that could be deemed to be the polar opposite of that of the Daily Mail.

yes you are right about such publications being in the business of ''winding up'' the naive public on occasion, but it normally does serve a purpose. In the case of the story/non-story about Cowen, they are entitled to report to the Irish public what he's been up to since he left office. Yes they make light of the on campus dining and bar facitilities, but this was the man who saw fit to appear unambigously drunk on live radio whilst Taoiseach, more importantly was a significant figure in the recent important history and decisions of the state from, the Celtic tiger to the bank Guarantee to the IMF bailout. Ive nothing against Brian Cowen personally but I dont agree with decisions he's made on behalf of the state in the past and I certainly dont think he should be getting ''an easy ride'' media that for sure. They are entitled to report and speculate about whatever move he makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I reject that.

yes you are right about such publications being in the business of ''winding up'' the naive public on occasion, but it normally does serve a purpose. In the case of the story/non-story about Cowen, they are entitled to report to the Irish public what he's been up to since he left office. Yes they make light of the on campus dining and bar facitilities, but this was the man who saw fit to appear unambigously drunk on live radio whilst Taoiseach, more importantly was a significant figure in the recent important history and decisions of the state from, the Celtic tiger to the bank Guarantee to the IMF bailout. Ive nothing against Brian Cowen personally but I dont agree with decisions he's made on behalf of the state in the past and I certainly dont think he should be getting ''an easy ride'' media that for sure. They are entitled to report and speculate about whatever move he makes.

I'm not sitting here and claiming Cowen was a fantastic leader, or Minister for Finance for that matter, because he wasn't. I'm just pointing out that this is trash journalism at its finest and is written with one thing in mind and that is most certainly not reporting the facts.

They're entitled to report it, yes, but the insinuation is that he's living the life and robbing the taxpayer to do so, when in reality he's doing a course with money he earned while doing his job in Government here. If you've a problem with his pay, then whatever, but making a deal of how he spends his own money and then insinuating things like him chomping down on "dipped icecream and draft beer" while the rest of us suffer as they would like us to believe is shíte journalism at its finest.

They know their audience though and the herald isn't found in the developers offices at Google, in the lunch room at PWC, at the canteen in the four courts etc, they know that, they know who reads it and are merely playing into their hands so I suppose fair play to them for that, it just has a terrible knock on of creating a very bitter and cranky lower class who are made feel more segregated than ever.

I'm not sitting here and claiming Cowen was a fantastic leader, or Minister for Finance for that matter, because he wasn't. I'm just pointing out that this is trash journalism at its finest and is written with one thing in mind and that is most certainly not reporting the facts.

They're entitled to report it, yes, but the insinuation is that he's living the life and robbing the taxpayer to do so, when in reality he's doing a course with money he earned while doing his job in Government here. If you've a problem with his pay, then whatever, but making a deal of how he spends his own money and then insinuating things like him chomping down on "dipped icecream and draft beer" while the rest of us suffer as they would like us to believe is shíte journalism at its finest.

They know their audience though and the herald isn't found in the developers offices at Google, in the lunch room at PWC, at the canteen in the four courts etc, they know that, they know who reads it and are merely playing into their hands so I suppose fair play to them for that, it just has a terrible knock on of creating a very bitter and cranky lower class who are made feel more segregated than ever.

Go on...

RHarrow wrote: »
    Have a look on TheJournal.ie and take a quick note of the amount of comments associated with each article, and what that article is about.

The articles on politics and the economy get many multiples of the number of comments other articles get, and when you read them, it's apparent that basically none of those rambling gobshítes has a clue what they're talking about. The sheer quantity of the bullshít would suggest that these people are logging onto these sites purely TO rant and nothing more. They're not there to read, they're not there to interact, they're not there to have a light hearted conversation they're just there to rant, rant, rant about things they haven't the slightest clue about.

The same people are posting here, right here, right now. Not a single clue how politics or the economy works, yet happy to burn each and every day rambling on Irish web communities about it. Instead of filling byte after byte with inane, uneducated rants about the Government/EU/Banks/other things they don't know about, their time online could be spent on the many free educational resources available and actually learn a thing or two about these topics.

However, in the end they're the type who didn't care for school, didn't care for college (and now claim those who did to be snobs/elitists/etc) and are again rejecting free education, instead preferring, as usual, to sit and point the finger at everyone else for their own failures.

And now that many of said people can't get work on the sites/other easy jobs, they're blaming everyone else who has achieved success and stability for their own problems.

It's pathetic, but once you realise that their views are representative of a very tiny but vocal minority and a minority that the rest of society generally doesn't care about, you'll soon find yourself just laughing at them instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mikom wrote: »
    You seem familiar.
    Go on...

It does - don't it!

Strange!

No one on boards.ie attacking journal.ie posters as far back as I can remember - then we have two separate ones with similar vitriol in the same short month!

Himmmmm....

Strange!

Ok, I get it. Anyone who dosent work in google, reading the financial times over fine latte in the canteen whilst discussing their latest property ventures isnt really an equally valid person at all. Enjoy the latte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ok, I get it. Anyone who dosent work in google, reading the financial times over fine latte in the canteen whilst discussing their latest property ventures isnt really an equally valid person at all. Enjoy the latte.

I'd love a fine latte.

Mikom. You out there? What say we go for a coffee run?

I'd love a fine latte.

Mikom. You out there? What say we go for a coffee run?

Must remember to pick some up for the mods....

Talk about the point going over your head.

Although with that being said, your insinuations about those who've decent jobs would indicate that you're one of the very people that I was talking about these articles targeting.

Which I suppose would make sense given that you posted the article in the first place. You're really better off not reading those publications to be honest, they'll just make you even more resentful than you already clearly are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It's not so much TheJournal.ie writers as utterly dense readers of it, but I've seen stories distorted and sensationalised in it the odd time also. Recently the Bord Gais credit union's laptops were stolen and had BG employee details on them - it was spun in such a way that the reader would initially see it as another security breach by BG itself. The BG logo pictured and all.

Tick... tick.... tick.....

Although with that being said, your insinuations about those who've decent jobs would indicate that you're one of the very people that I was talking about these articles targeting.

Which I suppose would make sense given that you posted the article in the first place. You're really better off not reading those publications to be honest, they'll just make you even more resentful than you already clearly are.

And you're self-loathing and completely insecure in yourself.

We can do this all day if you like but it won't change the fact that what you're posting is a load of shíte.
    What a load of utter shíte.

I'd say you've done well for yourself in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I tend to agree.

The court jester has been found out.

As for his joker, the reptilian Noonan seems more
    like an extra from a JURASSIC PARK film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

"ex-Offaly politician"? What does that mean? Does that mean that he was from Offaly but now isn't?

What point? there only seems to be one point in your posts and Im hearing it loud and clear

Ive nothing against people who do well in life, in fact some of the people who I most admire are self made entrepreneurs and other successful people. What i dont like, is a sneering condescending, preaching attitude from people who only see the world, in one way, their way.

I read all kinds of publications and articles, from the sun page 3 to the sunday business post on occasasion, nice to get a flavour of different things in life. I had a lecturer before who couldnt understand why anyone would not read anything but broadsheet financial newspapers, people often fell asleep in her classes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

"Sheriff" Kenny doesn't seem any better than biffo. At least he's educating himself and not picking fights with TV3 presenters over schoolyard remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Doesnt look like the brightest spark in the class does he?

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/08/article-2170386-13F887C9000005DC-456_634x485.jpg

Doesnt look like the brightest spark in the class does he?

i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/08/article-2170386-13F887C9000005DC-456_634x485.jpg
    There's something quite charming about that photo.

Mod: Re-reg banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Who is his teacher then? Enda Kenny himself, because his salary as a Taoiseach is not high enough for him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If I had his cash and pension at that age I can't say I wouldn't do the same myself.

Hate the political party he was part of and thought he was an embarrassment to the country as Taoiseach but I honestly can't hold the fact he wants to spend his retirement bettering himself against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Bettering himself for what?? I hope to fcuk he doesn't think he's coming back to take over from Mehole Martin!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

thebaz wrote: »
    I hope there is no economics on the course , as he has not much apptitude for business

Have any of the clowns? Especially the business of running a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I dont understand.

why didn't he just do a FAS course?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Pj! wrote: »
    Best of luck to him

there's no real non-banning way to response to that.

so i wont. ;)

6-week course.

Lol

You seem familiar.
    There's something quite charming about that photo.

Mod: Re-reg banned.

Bye bye now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

http://www.herald.ie/news/so-brian-you-looking-for-a-job-after-50k-course-3162575.html

Hopefully he'll come back a wiser man and get us all out of this mess :rolleyes:

Surely there is some BS to this?

He is the former Taoiseach. Why on earth would he need to goto college?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This guy is going to college and I'm not?

Well at least I don't look half as bad as the lad! otherwise I'd be getting nowhere with the notions I had about ways of getting myself there :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is it a FAS course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The man was ****e at his job, lost it so went back to school to further himself?

FFS, If only more people in this country would do the same.

This is a non story to me and just media hounding of a man who is trying to get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement