Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22'' HD Ready LCD TV €150

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭denise1970

Hi, I also seen this advert, need tv for the kitchen, sainsbury in the UK used to or still do this brand. Would love to know has anyone else came across this brand before......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

denise1970 wrote: »
    Hi, I also seen this advert, need tv for the kitchen, sainsbury in the UK used to or still do this brand. Would love to know has anyone else came across this brand before......
    We would be interested in this tele also as it looks like good kit but not sure of the brand. What do ye reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    We would be interested in this tele also as it looks like good kit but not sure of the brand. What do ye reckon?

Go for it as i said i have a tv from aldi going 4 years now cant fault with it built like a rock :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You would have to be MAD to buy HD ready nowadays. This is terrible value. For 200E you'd get a full HD. Probably less, especially if you went to Amazon. Sorry but not a BA imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I think it's a grand price, but I have the 40 inch e-motion that Aldi did recently, it's terrible sound and not a great picture. But it was only 350 so kinda you get what you pay for.

If it's a TV for just general viewing while doing something else (like in a kitchen, or a childs room), it would be grand, but as a main TV, the sound would annoy me (it's very metallicy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

ED E wrote: »
    You would have to be MAD to buy HD ready nowadays. This is terrible value. For 200E you'd get a full HD. Probably less, especially if you went to Amazon. Sorry but not a BA imo.

Full HD won't really make any difference on a 22" to be honest. Thrown in with 3 year warranty it makes this a good deal imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I dont know what this tv would be like but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
    As for being mad to buy HD ready, unless your using it as a pc monitor, you will not notice any difference between HD ready and full HD at 22". You would have to go at least 32" to see a difference between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

biebiebie wrote: »
    Full HD won't really make any difference on a 22" to be honest. Thrown in with 3 year warranty it makes this a good deal imho.

Posting from a 22": Yeah, it will.

If you dont care about image quality at all, fine, but IMO this isnt a bargain, its outdated tech at 80% the price of current gen.

Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T22A300-Widescreen-Monitor-Surround/dp/tech-data/B006PEBUO0/ref=de_a_smtd or w/e, there are plenty of options, is where you should be looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Posting from a 22": Yeah, it will.

If you dont care about image quality at all, fine, but IMO this isnt a bargain, its outdated tech at 80% the price of current gen.

Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T22A300-Widescreen-Monitor-Surround/dp/tech-data/B006PEBUO0/ref=de_a_smtd or w/e, there are plenty of options, is where you should be looking.

That tv is not Saorview approved!

Does it even have MPEG4 tuner? i cant see details of tuner on specs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

As has been said, you wouldnt notice any difference in that size display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

some people dont listen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Because this Aldi tv is Saorview approved means it will work with the new digital teletext service another plus for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Nice monitor, good find, it has an MPEG-4 tuner so should receive Saorview, not sure about the teletext (MHEG5?) though .... http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LT22A300EW/XE
    Amazon also have this on special today only at £130: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y3UX2E?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The problem is sterling, its shot way up in value now. Allowing a 2% CC charge the Samsungs gonna cost €180 and the Toshiba €167, even with the free delivery ..... :( the Aldi price is looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

3 year warranty and returns to ALDI are other very good plus points.

Perfect for a kitchen or bedroom IMO.
    Hence why I'm getting one for me mammy :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Could people who HAVE NOT bought an Aldi or Lidl TV stop posting useless information and crap please.

It helps NO ONE.:(

I got this Silvercrest/Lidl 19 inch TV with a built in DVD player for 70 euro a few months ago.2 HDMI inputs,SD card slot,USB slot too.
    Brand new with 3 year warrenty too.

It has an MPEG4 tuner and it picks up Saorview perfectly too.

Pic and sound quality is fantastic.

Just because a TV comes from Lidl or Aldi doesnt mean its useless or crap,which some people seem to think.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

ok probably a stupid question but can you wall mount this?

PinkFly wrote: »
    ok probably a stupid question but can you wall mount this?

yes.

You can wall mount just about any modern flatscreen TV.:)

I agree, you got a great deal there Paddy. I shop in Lidl and Aldi regularly. I don't think there's a specific prejudice against Lidl or Aldi here, it's just some people like higher spec products than the average. Thats fine by me, but the standard product suits a lot of people; many don't want to or can't pay more for a better spec. I say post all the options, and let the buyer decide for themselves.

Oracle wrote: »
    I agree, you got a great deal there Paddy. I shop in Lidl and ALdi regularly. I don't think there's a specific prejudice against Lidl or Aldi here, it's just some people like higher spec products than the average. Thats fine by me, but the standard product suits a lot of people; many don't want to or can't pay more for a better spec. I say post all the options, and let the buyer decide for themselves.

I only bought that Silvercrest TV,as a spare,just incase.

Might stick it out in the garage and hook it up there,for when Im plodding around in the garage.:D.

Have the garage wired from the house down the garden in a deep trench with 10 square SWA,mains water,2 co ax cables and also 2 cat5e outdoor data cables too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭mickey1985

I wonder how many each store will have.Often with these specials there is very little and if you are not there at opening time they will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

paddy147 wrote: »
    Could people who HAVE NOT bought an Aldi or Lidl TV stop posting useless information and crap please.

Only if those who HAVE do likewise :D
    Have the garage wired from the house down the garden in a deep trench with 10 square SWA,mains water,2 co ax cables and also 2 cat5e outdoor data cables too.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Only if those who HAVE do likewise :D

An informative post or 3 with some pics is allways helpfull (as per usual with my posts).:D

PS-Would you like pics of the outdoor Cat5E cable,the trenchwork,the SWA,mains water and other cables being run in ducting underground,the SWA being ran all the way through the house to the mains consumer unit/distrubution board too?;)

Absolutely no problem for me to post those pics,if you want.;):D

PPS-No BA threads from yourself or even DIY threads or posts from such a gifted person as yourself,I wonder why???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

The Aldi tv also has usb playback which is another plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

PPS-No BA threads from yourself or even DIY threads or posts from such a gifted person as yourself,I wonder why???

Guess I hadn't realised Boards.ie was a competition. :confused:

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Guess I hadn't realised Boards.ie was a competition. :confused:

Neither did I and Ive never said it was either.;)

Maybe you should/could ask a moderator if there is one or ask to start a competition forum.

You might get lucky.:)

Its a good telly,if you wait a while,then theres a "chance" that Aldi might knock 20 euro off the price.

They have been known to do this,in the past with electrical items.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Does it though? The description carefully says "music and image files", that might mean it does not play video. Anybody know for sure? Was this on sale before?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

Somebody thought they were a bargain. My wife was in Aldi in Listowel at 10 past 9 this morning and they were sold out. Apparently people were queueing from 7.30am, and some of them didn't get one!

Both Letterkenny stores sold out in minutes too :(

• Advertisement

Plenty left in Coolock this morning.

No one wanted a ticket for the TVs as they were entering the store.

Decided to buy this while I was up there.

Not too bad for 35 euro.

Bought a load of Salvias too.:D

I rekon theres a good chance that Aldi will knock 20-30 euro off these TVs in 2-3 weeks time to try and sell them all on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

There were people outside the Letterkenny store before it opened that didn't get a tv. There were only 16 tvs.

Have mine set up now. Seems like a grand TV.

sob1467 wrote: »
    There were people outside the Letterkenny store before it opened that didn't get a tv. There were only 16 tvs.

Have mine set up now. Seems like a grand TV.

Lidl will have more or less the same TV in about 2-3 weeks time.

Lidl and Aldi usualy alternate their products,so that they dont both have the same products on sale the same week.

Makes good marketing sense.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭georgem25

Dublin Road Limerick was sold out early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

My local Argos (Mahon Point) have a 22" Alba with built-in DVD player clearing for €150, in case anyone didn't get the one in Aldi.

Plenty of stock around the country too.

• Advertisement

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Does it though? The description carefully says "music and image files", that might mean it does not play video. Anybody know for sure? Was this on sale before?

Got one in Douglas - they were sold out by 9.15.
    No big scrum, but they did limit it 1 per customer, at least until the line at the checkout all got one - then they let a guy buy a second one.

Looks good so far - here's the page from the manual that gives the spec and the USB media player info:

212855.JPG

Doesn't mention the USB in the "video inputs" section? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Parents bought one today. USB does work for movies.

But we have had a problem with the TV. The remote and buttons on top of the TV stop working a few minutes after turning the TV on. Need to turn it off and back on again for it to work but then after a few minutes it stops working again

Edit:
    It seems to be the sky box connected by scart that is the problem. When the TV is connected to our sky hd box in the sitting room via hdmi the remote continues to work.

Soarer wrote: »
    My local Argos (Mahon Point) have a 22" Alba with built-in DVD player clearing for €150, in case anyone didn't get the one in Aldi.

Plenty of stock around the country too.

It's Freeview, not Saorview.

Pique wrote: »

I'd imagine that's 'cause the detail is lifted straight from the UK site. I didn't think it was legal to sell a non-saorview tv these days without specifying.

• Advertisement

I was in a Tesco store yesterday, they'd reduced a Technica 22 inch LCD to €149. They had another Technica model reduced to €160 approx. They both had Saorview, HDMI and USB. So check out your local Tesco if you want something similar now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Soarer wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's 'cause the detail is lifted straight from the UK site. I didn't think it was legal to sell a non-saorview tv these days without specifying.

I don't think that it is illegal. (It probably should be.)

If you do a search on their website for "saorview" you can find the sets that are approved - including some ALBA ones. This one is not. (It's not on the approved list on the saorview site either.)

Pique wrote: »

And if you did your homework,you would also know that a TV with MPEG4 and Freeview will also pick up Saorview too.

Would you like proof with pictures,because I can show you 2 different TVs that I bought from Tesco that recieve Saorviewmwhere the box says Freeview.

Bought a 32 inch LG Full HD (1080P) TV with freeview for 250 euro in Clarehall and it gets Saorview.
    Also bought a 22 inch TV from Tesso,Omni Park with the same setup for 130 euro,and it picks up Saorview too.

Do you want proof???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

And if you did your homework,you would also know that a TV with MPEG4 and Freeview will also pick up Saorview too.

Would you like proof with pictures,because I can show you 2 different TVs that I bought from Tesco that recieve Saorviewmwhere the box says Freeview.

Bought a 32 inch LG Full HD (1080P) TV with freeview for 250 euro in Clarehall and it gets Saorview.
    Also bought a 22 inch TV from Tesso,Omni Park with the same setup for 130 euro,and it picks up Saorview too.

Do you want proof???:D

Theres no way of knowing from that ad if its fully Saorview compatible. Just because you got lucky with one box doesn't preclude that you could have a problem with another box with an equally vague technical spec.

Soarview for me is a box that has the full EPG and MHEG5 middleware etc.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭mickey1985

Called to Aldi Mallow there and the girl said they were all gone this morning in 5-10 minutes

I tried out a movie (in .avi format) on a USB - worked perfectly.

I tried a 120G USB hard disk I had knocking around full of movies - the kind that doesn't need an external power supply - it seemed to spin up OK and the TV could navigate to all the folders - but I could not find ANY video files! I will investigate further - it's possible the drive is formatted in NTFS and the TV needs FAT32 perhaps? (dunno if that would explain being able to see folders but not files)

By the way the sound can go way louder than I would ever need. The picture quality might be a bit "soft" but it's fine for what I want it (bedroom TV)

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres no way of knowing from that ad if its fully Saorview compatible. Just because you got lucky with one box doesn't preclude that you could have a problem with another box with an equally vague technical spec.

Soarview for me is a box that has the full EPG and MHEG5 middleware etc.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

Ok so according to you,I just got lucky with 4 different TVs then??

I actually did my homework on the TVs I wanted with regards Saorview,and also at the right price....(LG 42 inch,32 inch and 22 inch..on the cheap and all from Tesco).;)

Oh and the 19 inch Silvercrest TV/DVD Player from Lidl too,for 70 euro.

See here..http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79660305&postcount=16

MPEG4 digital tuner will get you Saorview.

And in my case,all with a cheapy 5 euro indoor aerial too.:D

Its not rocket science.

PS-The pictures dont lie.;)

Chill out paddy.

I thought Freeview was mpeg2 but it needed to be mpeg4 (FreeviewHD) to pick up Saorview.
    Nobody is saying you were lucky rather than well prepared but that Argos telly spec wouldnt make me go buy it without knowing more.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looking at that Argos 22" there's nothing to suggest it has an MPEG4 tuner in the specs?

MPEG4 tuners will not always get you Saorview channels. Ask owners of certain Panasonic TV's for example.

Freeview is DVB-T MPEG2
    Saorview is DVB-T MPEG4
    FreeviewHD is DVB-T2 MPEG4

And in saying that, that list is simplistic, ignoring things like MHEG5 middleware, AC3 audio support, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ok so according to you,I just got lucky with 4 different TVs then??...

No according to you....
    ... I can show you 2 different TVs that I bought from Tesco that recieve Saorviewmwhere the box says Freeview....

But you've changed that now to
    ...I actually did my homework on the TVs I wanted with regards Saorview...

Which is entirely different to what you said originally. What you said originally is very misleading for others reading the thread who may not grasp the difference between the different standards and could end up with a Freeview TV that doesn't support Saorview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement