Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured bird in my shed!

• 09-07-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my husband rescued a young crow from the jaws of a cat today, he put it in a shoe box in our shed for the day. When I came home, it was shuffling around in the box a lot. It flew out of the box when I opened it and it's very apparent that it's wing is injured. After a while, it flew out of the shed, but I was worried it would be caught by a cat, so I re-captured it and locked it in the shed. I've left some water and bird seed in there for it.

It's shuffling round in there a bit, but I'm hoping it will settle a bit when it gets dark. Just wondering what I should do, should I let it free to take its chances or is there any chance it'll get better if it rests in the shed for a few days? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

ncmc wrote: »
    It's shuffling round in there a bit, but I'm hoping it will settle a bit when it gets dark. Just wondering what I should do, should I let it free to take its chances or is there any chance it'll get better if it rests in the shed for a few days? Thanks in advance!

You might find some useful info on the following link about what to do and what to feed it and there is a list of rehabilitators you can call for advice.
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/birds.html

Good luck. I hope it pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Binka wrote: »
    You might find some useful info on the following link about what to do and what to feed it and there is a list of rehabilitators you can call for advice.
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/birds.html

Good luck. I hope it pulls through.

Thanks for that link Binka, that was helpful. It never occurred to me that crows ate meat, no wonder he was giving me the evil eye when I left him with bird seed!

I got him some dog food last night and left him a small bowl of that and water overnight. There were some droppings on the shelf beside where I left the food, so hopefully that means he ate something, though there didn’t seem to be much gone.

It looked to me this morning as though his wing may just not be as crooked as it was yesterday, although that could be just wishful thinking on my part.

I am just wondering if I’m doing the right thing by leaving him loose in the shed? I thought he might be more comfortable being able to flap around a bit, rather than keeping him in a box. Or would he be more likely to rest his wing if he was kept in a box?

Advertisement