Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to Lucan

Options
  • 09-07-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All

We are considering moving to Lucan and I have been looking at myhome.ie to get an indication of the houses out there however there are so many and I dont know where is a good area!
    I understand that Lucan is broken into old Lucan & new lucan - Are they both good areas to live?
    What estates are near Lucan village? Its very hard to tell from the maps on myhome.ie.

How long does it take in the morning/evenings on the bus to get into city centre?
    Here are some estates that look nice, if anyone has any opinions on them I would be grateful -
    Moy Glas Avenue, Esker Park, Laraghon, Liffey Dale, Griffeen Valley, Mount Andrew Close, Tullyhall, Abbey Wood Court.

Finally, would you recommend living in Lucan?
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'll send you a PM tomorrow with my opinion on those estates if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

Hi Heroditas,
    I would be appreciate if you would send me a PM about the estates I have mentioned.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Aisling1989

It really depends on whereabouts in Lucan. Some places are really nice and some are really bad. I don't want to give you advice all of the individual estates you have mentioned, incase I get them wrong as I don't know any of them very well. I would however recommend avoiding Finian's and Arthur Griffith Park (I live here and it used to be a great place to live, but it's not any more)
    Griffeen Valley area is nice in parts, I would also avoid Foxborough though (Parts of Foxborough are grand, others aren't)
    Esker Park seems nice. I dog-sit around the corner from there and also find myself wishing I lived there
    Laraghon looks nice, but I've only ever driven through it, never spent time in it.
    I can't comment on the others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Ivenus wrote: »

Hi I'm originally from Lucan, both my sisters and parents still live there all with their own houses.

Moy Glas Avenue, Esker Park, Laraghon, Liffey Dale, Griffeen Valley, Mount Andrew Close, Tullyhall, Abbey Wood Court. These are all relatively newish estates .. I.ve a sister in Mount Andrew and a cousins in Laraghcon .. lovely flash lookin' houses, nice areas.

There's a couple of much older estates Hillcrest,Woodview ,Beech Park and Esker Lawns and a few more.. all much older estates up to 40years plus in age, all well built old houses.

Arthur Griffith Park is an older council estate, I 've lots of friends there..I thought it was actually very settled nowadays and quiet, surrounded by parks etc,but the other poster lives there.

Know nothing about Finians or Foxborough.

Finally, would you recommend living in Lucan? I 'd recommend Lucan,I'm out there regularly.. its busy with lots of traffic though and village seems always lively .
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Aisling1989

"Arthur Griffith Park is an older council estate, I 've lots of friends there..I thought it was actually very settled nowadays and quiet, surrounded by parks etc,but the other poster lives there."

As far as I know, the other end (with the lower numbers) is settled. Up my end though, we have trouble with a group of teenagers (one in particular) who are out drinking in the estate several times a week, keeping everyone awake and some of my neighbours are always out the next day cleaning up after them. It's a disgrace. A few months ago, I was home alone and woken at 1 in the morning by the worst of them banging on my door and screaming in my letterbox. My neighbour heard and rang me to see if I was ok, then rang the Gards. They did nothing.

It's a great location re park and shop etc, but not worth it when you're afraid to walk home alone at night.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. They are really help and will guide me when im looking on myhome.ie!

Hi, Back again with more queries.
    Any thoughts on these estates:

Cannonbrook park
    Willsbrook Drive

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help!

Cannonbrook is close to shops,schools both secondary and primary ,library ,n4 road and about ten minutes walk to the village... close to lots of green space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Both close to the N4, so will have alot of traffic noise to deal with. We looked at willsbrook and found car parking an issue other wise nice area.

Willsbrook Drive over Cannonbrook every time.
    Willsbrook Drive is right beside the 25a/25b bus stop and it's only 5mins walk to Woodies where you can get the 25, 66a, 67a etc buses.
    It's also in St. Mary's parish.
    Noise levels shouldn't be too bad - you're a good bit back from the N4. There might be a bit of noise because it overlooks the outer ring road but the noise levels won't be noticeable - mainly because the traffic on it will be a lot slower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There is nothing obviously wrong with any of the estates you have mentioned so unless somebody has experience of living in one then I don't think they will be able to know of any specific issues.

Unlike the last poster I personally would not want to live in St Mary's parish. I say that as a Lucan resident born and bred and as a former student of St Mary's parish schools and as a teacher now I would much prefer to have access to the schools in the St Patrick's parish catchment for my children.

There is nothing obviously wrong with any of the estates you have mentioned so unless somebody has experience of living in one then I don't think they will be able to know of any specific issues.

Unlike the last poster I personally would not want to live in St Mary's parish. I say that as a Lucan resident born and bred and as a former student of St Mary's parish schools and as a teacher now I would much prefer to have access to the schools in the St Patrick's parish catchment for my children.

:D I also speak as a born,bred and educated resident of Lucan and I can remember a time when there were no schools in the parish of St Patricks and I'm trying hard to think who went to school in Lucan and teachs there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes, I also remember a time when there were no schools in St Patrick's parish. There is now though and those would certainly be my choice.

I do not teach in Lucan.

I personally would not want to live in St Mary's parish. I say that as a Lucan resident born and bred and as a former student of St Mary's parish schools and as a teacher now I would much prefer to have access to the schools in the St Patrick's parish catchment for my children.

Good chance my wife knows you! She's born and bred in Lucan and went to St Marys and St Josephs.

EDIT: I see you don't teach in Lucan. Might not know her then.

Yes, I also remember a time when there were no schools in St Patrick's parish. There is now though and those would certainly be my choice.

I do not teach in Lucan.

Misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Have you looked at Hermitage in Lucan? Located right behind the Texaco garage and The Foxhunter pub. Very well served by buses and connected to the rest of Lucan in general. Speaking as a long term resident of Hermitage I would definitely recommend it. If you want any more specific information feel free to PM me

Thanks everyone for your info. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

PM sent!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement