Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Oranmore to NUIG?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted your opinion on what the commute is like from Oranmore over to NUIG for a full-time day course. Have it down as an option as a mature student and the rents in Oranmore are slightly cheaper than the Salthill / Knocknacarra / Newcastle side but I've heard the traffic can be crazy at peak times. The course is pretty full-on, so it'll be a 9am start with 6 or 7pm finishes. Or am I better off sticking to the west side of the city?

Thanks for your kind attention.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bus Éireann and Michael Healy operate buses, but most only operate to Eyre Square and only some operate to NUIG. It sounds a bit mad unless the rent is free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You'd be far better off out the east side in somewhere like Renmore, you'd have a lot more options bus wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My guesstimate is that you would be adding 90 minutes+ to your day which, over the period of a week, is a good night's sleep.

Moycullen is another option if you want to cheaper rent, most especially if you have a car. Maybe Justmary can supply accurate about the bus service.

Other than that, I'd stick to anywhere within walling/cycling distance of the uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. That's me, Victor, mad as a bag of turkeys! Sounds like I'd burn the difference in rents using up 90 minutes of petrol each day, sitting in traffic. Thanks, paddyfield, I didn't realise it would be quite that bad. I'll have to concentrate on areas closer to the uni. Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you leave Oranmore about 7:50-8am, or even a few minutes before, you'd be in NUIG in 20-25 minutes, as you're avoiding the worst of the traffic. If you're coming home as late as 7pm, you'd also miss the worst of the traffic there too. Definitely nowhere near 90 minutes a day. There's also a bus service from Oranmore that goes straight from the bus stop at the Oran Town Center to NUIG each morning at about 8am and it gets there pretty quickly. But NUIG is only a ten minute walk from Eyre Square anyway, so even if you missed that bus it's hardly an epic trek to college.

I went to NUI from Oranmore for 3 years on that schedule more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It'll be a 7.30 depart next year as the Headford Road roundabout will be dug up starting August .....meaning the traffic will be chaotic till christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It'll be a 7.30 depart next year as the Headford Road roundabout will be dug up starting August .....meaning the traffic will be chaotic till christmas.

Only four months? Very optimistic there Spongebob :D
    Don't forget that the bridge will be somewhat restricted as well when the University start building a new underpass. Dunno when that is scheduled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd live west of the Corrib while all that was going on Snubs!

Advertisement