Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dog

• 09-07-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone.
    Im looking for some information.
    My neighbour has an extremly large dog, its a Rottweiler Cross, Id say hes about 55kg:eek:
    He comes out of my neighbours property and onto the road and challenges me and my family when we go for a walk.
    He is extremly agressive, he has been getting braver over the past few weeks, coming closer and closer.
    Tonight for example, he ran the full lenght of his property, jumped the boundry wall while barking and showing his teeth to me and my partner.
    He came within 3m of us, snarling :mad:
    Iv grown up around dogs of all sizes my whole life, espically large dogs, and I know from what experience I have, he is very agressive.
    I am in fear of my familys safety.
    We have rang the guards twice and nothing has been done, either they havnt done anything or the owner dosnt care.
    Im going to ring the dog warden in the morning, whats my other options.
    Another thing to note, this is not the first time we have had issues with our neighbour and his dogs, always being agressive towards walkers.
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ring the dog-warden, not just in the morning but every single time you have a negative experience with this dog. Have you spoken with the neighbour about this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Talked to him about his previous dog who did the same thing.
    He just said "Well hes beside me now and hes not barking at you, hes a grand dog" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well that's great but he's in breach of the control of dogs act by not keeping his dog properly secured on his on property when is not 'beside him being a grand dog'.

Well that's great but he's in breach of the control of dogs act by not keeping his dog properly secured on his on property when is not 'beside him being a grand dog'.

Thanks adrenalinjunkie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Sorry to hear about this hassle. Clearly this guy is not in control of a dangerous dog. I regularly walk in the mountains and due to unprovoked aggression from dogs (although I enjoy them being off the leash in the mountains I still don't wanna get bitten and abhor the stupid aggression) I get tooled up before a walk. It at least takes a lot of the fear out of it, that I figure I can slice the beast up real nice if it attacks me.

If the owner complains fúck it - slice him up too. (ok, that last bits a joke).

<Banned - Permanently>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Forgive my ignorance, but your story just doesn't add up.

Anyway, bitching on boards isn't going to get you anywhere.

I find more often than not, it is actually the human that is handling the situation wrong.

I have never seen a dog run out of a garden after someone, let alone jump a wall to do so. Yep, sure, dogs will bark through windows, porch doors and gates, but thats teritorial and most dogs do it.

Furthermore, why would you call the cops first? Surley the dog warden would have been your first port of call, and secondly, the cops would have told you to call the dog warden, so I don't understand why you would call them twice....

I personally find that the mentallity and stigma of the irish people towards Rottweilers is pathetic, the general consensus is that they are "aggresive, attack dogs, dangerous" thats bull****! I have never in my entire life met an "aggresive" rotty.... however, jack russels, chauaua's, dashaunds, I have met far too many... thats what happens when you have someone who thinks they are "cute" and mollycoddles them as lap dogs.

Rotty's are nothing but dosile, loyal and friendly. Of course, this is down to the owner and how they are trained, but, most likley you didn't give that consideration.

And, I know this would not seem like the smartest thing to do with any dog (the fact it is a big dog does not make it any more dangerous than the next dog who could be smaller), but, if your story is true, would you not walk slightly towards the dog, turn sideways and hunker down so he can sniff you? You would be surprised at the amount of times I have done it to dogs that may be barking or whatever and then 2 minutes later its all cool.

If the dog was going to attack you, it wouldn't stop 3 metres away.... and showing fear or uncertainty in yourself just provokes that. If you were calm, the dog would calm down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Karlitto wrote: »
    Furthermore, why would you call the cops first? Surley the dog warden would have been your first port of call, and secondly, the cops would have told you to call the dog warden, so I don't understand why you would call them twice....

Wouldn't it depend on the time? OP mentioned going for a walk at night time so I assume the dog warden might not be available?

Also where I live there is only 1 dog warden for the county so say if there is an incident near me, the dog warden could be 30 miles away.

(BTW, I have nothing against rottweilers.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I find more often than not, it is actually the human that is handling the situation wrong.

I have never seen a dog run out of a garden after someone, let alone jump a wall to do so. Yep, sure, dogs will bark through windows, porch doors and gates, but thats teritorial and most dogs do it.

I personally find that the mentallity and stigma of the irish people towards Rottweilers is pathetic, the general consensus is that they are "aggresive, attack dogs, dangerous" thats bull****! I have never in my entire life met an "aggresive" rotty.... however, jack russels, chauaua's, dashaunds, I have met far too many... thats what happens when you have someone who thinks they are "cute" and mollycoddles them as lap dogs.

Rotty's are nothing but dosile, loyal and friendly. Of course, this is down to the owner and how they are trained, but, most likley you didn't give that consideration.

And, I know this would not seem like the smartest thing to do with any dog (the fact it is a big dog does not make it any more dangerous than the next dog who could be smaller), but, if your story is true, would you not walk slightly towards the dog, turn sideways and hunker down so he can sniff you? You would be surprised at the amount of times I have done it to dogs that may be barking or whatever and then 2 minutes later its all cool.

If the dog was going to attack you, it wouldn't stop 3 metres away.... and showing fear or uncertainty in yourself just provokes that. If you were calm, the dog would calm down...

what if the OP has young kids?is that your advice to them too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

(the fact it is a big dog does not make it any more dangerous than the next dog who could be smaller)

Don't agree with this. I'm not saying that all bigger dogs are dangerous. But if you had a Rottweiler and a Jack Russel that had the same level of aggression I'm pretty sure that the Rottweiler would be capable of doing more damage and therefore more dangerous.
    would you not walk slightly towards the dog, turn sideways and hunker down so he can sniff you? You would be surprised at the amount of times I have done it to dogs that may be barking or whatever and then 2 minutes later its all cool.

I'm pretty sure the OP would have better idea of if that was possible with this dog. I've heard plenty people going on about the dogs sensing "fear" and not to back down. I've also heard cases of people who would have believed that getting attacked by a dog because they chose to ignore the signs and tried to show no fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    what if the OP has young kids?is that your advice to them too?

I knew it wouldnt be long before we had a "wont somebody please think of the children!" comment.

OP I would say call the dog warden. If this dog is genuinely out of control and able to cause you or anyone harm, then the warden will (hopefully) see this and act accordingly.

If its just a case of the dog barking and jumping up when people walk past then I'm not sure how much can be done. After all the dog is still on the owners property. If it were in a public space, or on your property, it would be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Karlitto, I'm not sure if you're just trying to wind up the situation, but I think what you said isn't really fair.

As the owner (and lover!) of a GSD, a Rottie & a Dane - all of which are quite mellow & great lovers, I know they also have the capability of *appearing* intimidating to people who don't know them. The GSD (aged 9 months) once took off toward a woman walking a young child in a pram as we were all on a tiny forest road (stupid me didn't have him on a lease - a mistake I will not repeat!) and he stood about 2m away, heckles raised, teeth bared & barked furiously at them. I was mortified & quickly fixed the situation, but I can completely understand why they would think my dog dangerous. It was out of character for him, and I'm not sure why he chose to do it at that time, but he did & now it's my responsibility to ensure it never happens again.

OP, the dog's owner (always! regardless of breed) has the responsibility of ensuring their dog is not causing disturbances in public places. If you're in a public space (i.e.: sidewalk) and the dog is leaving their garden to approach you, then the owner has to have responsibility for that situation. Call the warden - you should not have to feel scared for the safety of your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

chrismon wrote: »
    He comes out of my neighbours property and onto the road and challenges me and my family when we go for a walk.:mad:
    If its just a case of the dog barking and jumping up when people walk past then I'm not sure how much can be done. After all the dog is still on the owners property. If it were in a public space, or on your property, it would be a different story.

The dog is in public space, please read the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I knew it wouldnt be long before we had a "wont somebody please think of the children!" comment.

That was a very useful comment
    well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

But the dog is on his owners property and if it's been brought up then to the dog it's his property too and is doing what a dog will be and be a bit territorial towards you
    My dog does it aswell and he's bigger than 55kg
    He's an Akita and will go balistic if someone is near my property but when he's brought out to people with me he's grand
    I think that rotty is just being a good guard dog if I'm honest
    If he was going to attack you he wouldn't of stopped either that's more like a fake charge( wolves and even lions will do this aswell)
    Its his way of saying that's a warning next charge won't be but don't show fear either if you stand your ground he will back down if you run it's his instinct then to attack
    In not havin a go at you I can understand why your bit afraid of it but you also have to understand why the dog is doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Ayla wrote: »
    The dog is in public space, please read the OP

Apologies, my mistake.

My advice is still to call the dog warden though. Just keep ringing until they come out. Maybe if you can get a video on your phone when it happens, it would help your case when dealing with the warden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you're having issues with the owner not believing you because the dog is well behaved when they're there, why not take a video of the dog when it's aggressive to show them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I agree that it's best to try stay calm, but its not as clear cut as if the dog stays away that means it won't attack. My mam took in a westie years ago who was doing that, charging all the neighbours kids but she did bite eventually, more than once. By the time my mother got her she was quite dangerous. (terribly abused dog :( had to be put asleep) point is that her behaviour started with charging, no one intervened and trained her and it led to the worst (for the kids and the dog)
    If it were in a public space, or on your property, it would be a different story.

The dog is in a public space.

I would contact the dog warden, and maybe have a chat with your local Gardai and explain your concerns. They may no do much but it's worth a try, even if they just have a chat with your neighbour. Or maybe speak with other neighbours to see if they are having the same problem, strength in numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i cant agree with that at all.

forgetting the breed talk because most of us know that its irrelevent, there are human aggresive dogs out there and some of them dont calm down. there's a chance that this rottie could have attacked. running a garden to jump a wall is a very serious warning and it could easily escalate. OP doesnt know the dog and may provoke it without even meaning to.

i'd be getting out of that situation asap and im generally confident with most dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Had a similar situation while out walking my 2 the other day. Big male rottie, barking at the dogs and standing his ground. If you're good at reading them its easy to figure out if the dog will attack or not and then to know how to deal with it. He ended up nose to nose with my terrier, with her whining as we walked away. All Im saying is, it can look and sound bad but usually its not. Different strokes for different folks though, walking away in most situations is a good option.

I have never seen a dog run out of a garden after someone, let alone jump a wall to do so.

I have. My own dog was the last one I saw doing it. Shes not vicious in the least but if a big dog feels it needs to be over the wall and out of the garden, its gonna do it.
    I personally find that the mentallity and stigma of the irish people towards Rottweilers is pathetic, the general consensus is that they are "aggresive, attack dogs, dangerous" thats bull****! I have never in my entire life met an "aggresive" rotty.... however, jack russels, chauaua's, dashaunds, I have met far too many... thats what happens when you have someone who thinks they are "cute" and mollycoddles them as lap dogs..

You are the only person who has brought that particular subject up here. If you look around the forum you'll see that the majority of people agree with your view on this subject, none moreso than myself. Preaching to the choir comes to mind.

You said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I am not sure where you live but at least 50% of all dogs in our locality around a 5 mile block in the country comes outside its property onto the road after pedestrians.

Every person should have the absolute right to walk without feeling they are threatened by a dog. they should not have to be assessing if the dog stops 3metres away or 3 inches away what might happen.

If I left my dogs out in public like that then i would not be a very good owner by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

As posted by AJ, calling the Dog Warden is the way to go. Repeatedly, until they do something.

Dogs have to be under effective control at all times. That is the law. What the dog does when the owner's not present should never arise, as the dog should not be free to get off his property in that case.

As a rottie, the owner is actually subject to more draconian laws, but I would always be happy with the effective control. This owner is being incredibly selfish and irresponsible, and deserves to have the dog removed from him: his current behaviour is threatening his own dog's life, as well as the safety of the public.

Thanks for the constructive comments everyone, I will be ringing the dog warden. As for the confusion over the dog coming onto public property, we were walking on the other side if the road, the dog jumped the wall and went past the white line on the middle of the road.

Karlitto, I'm not sure what your problem is.
    I came here asking for advice, not to be trolled.
    I have no problem with Rotties or big dogs, I have a German Shepherd out in the garden so please don't say I have a problem with dogs that are "supposidly " dangerous.
    I deal with the "big dog" issue everyday when I'm walking my well behaved German Shepherd.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fifipie_d

Karlitto, you are either very naive about the potential aggressive behaviour off all dogs or a very bored troll to be using a thread like this as your play area. I think most of us gathered from OP that it's not an issue with the breed, but rather giving us a gage on this dogs size and therefor strength. I have had large dogs my whole life and consider myself to be very experienced and in control of not just my own but others if need be. But if Im faced with a dog that is showing aggression to me in the manner that OP has described I would certainly be nervous. There are definitly ways to hopefully diffuse the situation when your familiar with dogs but to say that the dog will calm down when you calm down like its an absolute guarantee is just ridiculous. Chrismon , hope the issue is resolved quickly for you. Like you have said there is alot of great advice above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

chrismon wrote: »
    Karlitto, I'm not sure what your problem is.
    I came here asking for advice, not to be trolled.
    I have no problem with Rotties or big dogs, I have a German Shepherd out in the garden so please don't say I have a problem with dogs that are "supposidly " dangerous.
    I deal with the "big dog" issue everyday when I'm walking my well behaved German Shepherd.

I hear ya, Chrismon, my well-behaved girlie is a 6-y-o Dobie, and whilst I know that she is good with my cats, my baby niece and nephew (under strict supervision, of course), etc, I still know it is my responsibility to keep her under proper control at all times.

Also, I have no idea how she would have turned out if she'd been left in a position to guard the stretch of road where we live, as so many dogs around here do. Bottom line is, we have responsibility for our pets, and I just can't understand how people who leave them run amuck can square this with themselves :confused:

ETA: I also hope you get this sorted quickly, I can see how it's a big worry, and messing up your life considerably at the moment.

Advertisement