Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get some sheet aluminium?

• 09-07-2012 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get my hands on a small amount of aluminium sheet, doesn't have to be an specific type.
    I only need about a metre square, so dont know if there are any fabricator places that sell such a small amount even though they probably have loads lying around, I'm not so sure they would want someone rummaging through the bins :)
    Not certain what thicknesses it would be available in but about 1-1.5 mm would suffice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What about a sign writer. Thats possibly a good place to start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Merch wrote: »
    I'm looking to get my hands on a small amount of aluminium sheet, doesn't have to be an specific type.
    I only need about a metre square, so dont know if there are any fabricator places that sell such a small amount even though they probably have loads lying around, I'm not so sure they would want someone rummaging through the bins :)
    Not certain what thicknesses it would be available in but about 1-1.5 mm would suffice.

Amari Ireland out in Fonthill Business Park.

http://www.amari-ireland.com/

They stock all kinds of alloys and metals in sheet,tube and billet slug form.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

paddy147 wrote: »
    Amari Ireland out in Fonthill Business Park.

http://www.amari-ireland.com/

They stock all kinds of alloys and metals in sheet,tube and billet slug form.:)

Thanks Paddy,
    Thats not far from me, wouldn't have known about it at all though.
    I'll give them a shout and see if they can help me.

Thanks

Thanks Paddy,
    Thats not far from me, wouldn't have known about it at all though.
    I'll give them a shout and see if they can help me.

Thanks

Ive used them before in the past,they have a large cutting machine there aswell (from what I can remember)

They might not need that cutting machine, for the amount I need, probably be able to get the stuff out of the bin :)

• Advertisement

They might not need that cutting machine, for the amount I need, probably be able to get the stuff out of the bin :)

You might even get an offcut off them for feck all euros.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

And better still, Amari are really nice and sound to deal with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

B&Q in airside also sell some sheet aluminium I'm not sure if you will get a metre square but you can get 1000mm x 500mm maybe you could add two together.
    http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/materials/metal_sheet_material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have some very rough sheets, there maybe about 1 m sq in it. Its all off cuts. Its not in very good condition though. You can have it all if you want, I was hoping to dump it.

@BostonB

I'll take them off your hands :) where you based?
    How rough?, if its just surface damage should be ok, so long as its not rippled as I need flat pieces, that i can shape, I do need them in certain sizes, so if its in strips of 10cm it wouldnt do what I need,
    If its near enough I can come and have a look and if its ok I could take it away?
    I'm in Dublin, you? PM me if need be.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    B&Q in airside also sell some sheet aluminium I'm not sure if you will get a metre square but you can get 1000mm x 500mm maybe you could add two together.
    http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/materials/metal_sheet_material.

Thanks, I never really considered B&Q,
    BostonB has offered some, if it suits and they are near for me to collect, this could make up the balance of what i need, I dont need it one complete piece.
    thanks.

I did try amari, but the price was a bit, well pricey, more than i expected, maybe as I was only looking for a small quantity. I tried another place also but they never got back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Hey Merch. Will you have any offcuts from the pieces you need? I was looking for small pieces to segment some pen blanks for woodturning. I would put a piece of aluminium between each piece of wood I glue together to highlight the joint.

Unfortunately not, Its all mine, mine I say, bua haha ha etc
    yes ok sure :)
    how much do you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Unfortunately not, Its all mine, mine I say, bua haha ha etc
    yes ok sure :)
    how much do you need?

They don't have to be big, anything say 30mm square. Even offcuts from it would do

Advertisement