Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parramatta

Options
  • 09-07-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any idea what Parramatta is like? Not going to be arriving there until October, but might have a job lined up there when I arrive. Roughly how much should a house share should cost there? Would it be one of the cheaper suburbs? From a brief glance at Wikipedia, it looks alright, but would I'd be better living there or commuting from somewhere else? Would nights out in Sydney be feasible, train/taxi wise? Any kind of general advice would be appreciated really. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

To be honest you are not going to want to live in Parramatta, it's not a totally bad suburb but you will feel a bit alienated living there and it can be pretty scary at night. (young guy was stabbed to death there at the weekend)

I would look at Burwood, Croydon or Ashfield as these are 1/2 way on the main Sydney to Parramatta train line, there are Irish people living around these areas as well. 1/2 an hour by train to the city and at the weekends there is a night bus that leaves Town hall and drops at all the train stations otherwise a Taxi from the city is about $30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Cheers for that. Croydon looks really nice, was looking at Manly because an Australian friend recommended it, but it seemed very far away to be commuting each way daily. And it seems pricey for renting, even house sharing like I would be looking to do. Train from Parramatta to Croydon is relatively reasonable as well, season tickets seem no pricier than the trains here which is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

token101 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Croydon looks really nice, was looking at Manly because an Australian friend recommended it, but it seemed very far away to be commuting each way daily. And it seems pricey for renting, even house sharing like I would be looking to do. Train from Parramatta to Croydon is relatively reasonable as well, season tickets seem no pricier than the trains here which is good!

I lived in Croydon for 3 years myself, it's a great area.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

first girl i shagged in sydney was from parramatta, ahh good times, good times:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

sponge_bob wrote: »
    first girl i shagged in sydney was from parramatta, ahh good times, good times:)

All bodes well so I suppose!

• Advertisement
Advertisement