Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with custom built PC

Options
  • 09-07-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello!

I'm interested in buying a custom build PC for a budget which can go up to about 1000, but by all means if adding an extra 100 or so to do some major upgrades then feel free to list it. I've never done this before and I got no experience myself so I don't want to mess up when buying the whole set.

Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers don't need to be included, the monitor would, 22'' and above. I'm looking for a PC which would enable me to play the newest games with high settings while being able to provide a great performance (Bf3, Skyrim etc etc.). I don't require an OS system listed. Any help or advice at all is greatly appreciated, so please put in any input you can. I'm hoping for whatever is suggested to me could last a while before it requires any further upgrades.

Thanks.

e: Apologies, missed the format. Give me a moment.

1. What is your budget? 1000(possibly above)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, planning to dwell into video editing, recording gameplay with FRAPS. Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Crysis (the latest) etc etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    No, planning to have 2 PC's in the house.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.] 22', preferably above. The bigger the better. :D

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No idea what that means. :(

8. How can you pay? Bank, credit card, cash, paypal etc.

9. When are you purchasing? This summer, not sure on the exact date.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I think I'll manage, it's not that difficult from what I hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Walker1911

Anyone? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Overclocking means running components faster than they are rated. Its basically like tuning a car.

For a €1000 build go with the standard building blocks;

Intel i5 3570K
    Asrock Z77 MB that always gets used
    8GB of Hardwareversnad cheapst DDR3 RAM

For the GPU its a bit of a toss up between something like a 6870 (€130) for the medium end to a 7850 for better performance to a 7950 or GTX670 obviously they get more expensive with a 670 setting you back €400.

More you spend ong the GPU the less you have for the monitor so try and balance that.

Sorry I'll try and do a build for you after I get some sleep - I cant get the scripty thing to work right now. Someone will probably give you a better build than I could before I'm back on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

feeney92 wrote: »
    Sorry to give you a link, but this is a cheap useful website you can use to pick parts for your custom PC and there are premade ones you can edit as well.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/pcconfwelcome.jsp?pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

I built my PC on here for the exact same budget you have and Its still an absolute Beast :)
    Im in work at the moment so I cant give you a build(Might get the sack) but I will when im home!

Great website, just best not to use the actual configurator. It's buggy and you can't select all the components.

Add all the items you want to your basket and then add "Rechner - Zussamenbau". It's their building service.

• Advertisement

feeney92 wrote: »
    Yeah it only costs like 20 quid for them to build it for you! but sure wheres the Fun in that eh? :P

Totally misread your post, I thought you mentioned a configurator in there...

I'm too tired :p

Thank you for the replies! :)

Anywho, I went onto the website and their PC builder program is actually a big help because of how easy it is to pick the parts etc. What kind of wattage (power supply) should I choose if I'm going with the Intel i5, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 and the HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Walker1911 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies! :)

Anywho, I went onto the website and their PC builder program is actually a big help because of how easy it is to pick the parts etc. What kind of wattage (power supply) should I choose if I'm going with the Intel i5, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 and the HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP GPU?

A good 450W PSU would run that no bother (Super-flower Amazon), but if you ever wanted to crossfire another 7850 go for the 650W version.

450 watt, 550 watt for a good bit of overclocking and maybe crossfire

Would a "Cougar A 450 Watt" do? I hope it doesn't sound like a jet airplane. :3 (If PSU's are the ones making the noise.)

• Advertisement

Never mind I'm taking the super flow amazon.

Alright, so after a bit of picking out I got:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155

Mainboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX

RAM - 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

Case - 3R Systems Design Gehäuse R490 Schwarz

Graphics card - HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP

PSU - Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W

HDD - Samsung HM-M101MBB 1TB 6,4cm (2,5") 9,5mm Höhe

Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24B5ST Retail

Controller
    - LogiLink PCI-Express Card, 2x USB 3.0

Is this good? In total it costs me: 817,24 Euro.

Controller

If you don't intend to crossfire, I'd drop the motherboard to an ASRock Z77 Pro3, and get a CPU cooler if you intend to OC it.

I don't plan on doing overclocking or crossfiring, so I'll leave it at that there. What kind of monitor should I get? 24'' would be good? What company?

e: And alright I'll get a cooler, thanks.

Controller

Get a better case, maybe a Bitfenix Merc?

The Bitfenix merc has yellow bars and it says "single piece", though alright I picked it anyways.

For the CPU cooler I picked a: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro(Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)

Do I require a card reader/sound card/network card or TV card?

The Bitfenix merc has yellow bars and it says "single piece", though alright I picked it anyways.

For the CPU cooler I picked a: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro(Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)

Do I require a card reader/sound card/network card or TV card?

Card reader, only if you want to easily transfer data between an SD card or the likes and the PC.

Sound card, unless you work as a sound engineer or something, no. The onboard audio will be fine.

Network card - if you intend to use wireless get a PCI wireless card, otherwise no.

TV card - personal choice.

Alright I got everything set up. I want to thank everyone for all of the help, I'll come back if I have any further questions. See ya! :)

Eh, I'm having problems with paying www.hardwareversand.de through the financial method. I'm trying to go for the 24 month payment method but when ordering there's no other option that straight through bank transfer or Paypal. Anyone know how to do it?

• Advertisement

Eh, I'm having problems with paying www.hardwareversand.de through the financial method. I'm trying to go for the 24 month payment method but when ordering there's no other option that straight through bank transfer or Paypal. Anyone know how to do it?

Those are the options, IBAN bank transfer or if you feel uncomfortable doing that, Paypal (Paypal has an extra 3% charge, so 30 quid on a 1k build). No other way of doing it.

So I only have the option to pay the whole price in one payment? Bleh, that sucks. Do any of you know any other websites which are relatively cheap and offer financial payment methods to customers from Ireland?

Hello? :(

scan.co.uk have a financing system - http://www.scan.co.uk/finance/index.aspx

Not sure if it's open to those of us in Ireland, but worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Its unlikely any UK website will have a financing company dealing with Ireland. You people are special ;P

Joking aside there are quite a few differences in offering credit services here - Credit Card OP? Maybe approach your bank - I don't recommend them as it pays to save up but just a thought.

Scale back the build and upgrade it over time?

Advertisement