Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please re: dying fish.

Options
  • 09-07-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, all. I have a bit of an issue which has me stumped.

Background: Juwel Rekord600. 1 Pleco, 3 Guppy, 4 Platy, 6 Neon Tetra, 2 Balloon Molly, 2 Peppercat's.
    Ammonia 0 - Nitrite 0 - PH 7.6 - Nitrate 20.

About 4 weeks ago one of my Platys started loosing its ability to swim and stayed sat at bottom of tank, sometimes coming to top, but mainly seemed to be unable to swim up. Treated for swimbladder as per instructions but sadly it died after about 6 days of looking poorly. 2 weeks later a guppy seemed to exhibit similar symptoms and died within 3 days. This morning a platy which seemed perfect last night was just floating around lifeless in tank, still alive but like in a coma. Was getting nipped by Balloon Molly but was unable to move away but fight back, died within an hour. It was like a leaf in the wind.

Any idea have I a water issue or infection that could be causing these similar deaths. Still a noob so not sure what to look out for. Also noticed a fry swimming around this evening, completely unsure what to do with him.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nitrate of 20 is a bit high. I'd definitely do a good 20% water change.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

was it a fry for certain?

Could it of been a parasite?

What do you feed them?

Advertisement