Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Rotation Regrets

Options
  • 09-07-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working in the same position for the last 7 years so recently I asked for a transfer to a new department as part of a interview process. I got the job. It had the same pay but it was something new. The problem is that my friend is the team leader in the new job and I'm finding it hard in adjusting to him coordinating my work. I knew he was the team leader but i was desperate for a change. I also have regrets that I am now starting again from the start and promotion seems even further away now.

My dilemma was to stay in the old job where i was totally on top of things and wait for promotion (which would only come if someone above me left or died) and wait for retirement or move to a new department and start learning again, feeling like a graduate again.

I seem to be thinking of my career constantly and I hate working under a peer of the same age and experience. It's consuming my thoughts during the day and affecting everything i do. It's a deep feeling of regret, embarrassment, anxiety and fear in regards my career progression.

Has anyone got some advice or has anyone ever been in a similar position?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say relax... Give it some time and give it your best...
    Change is hard to deal with and after working in a position where you were totally on top it can be unnerving to move... After a few months you'l gain experience and feel better about it...
    I moved from a well paid job where I could coast along to a position in a new industry for better hours and a personal life.. I manage people 20 years my senior and my manager is younger than me... Bit odd in the beginning but now its just the norm..

As for thinking about it all the time... Its not good for you or your personal life or work performance.. Leave work at work and live when your outside work..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seatangle wrote: »
    ...I hate working under a peer of the same age and experience. It's consuming my thoughts during the day and affecting everything i do. It's a deep feeling of regret, embarrassment, anxiety and fear in regards my career progression.

Ahh, as you get older, it's more and more likely that you will work for someone younger and less experienced than you. Basically you need to get over yourself re this one.

As regards the other bits, if you really experiencing "feeling of regret, embarrassment, anxiety and fear ", I would seriously suggest some professional counselling - that really isn't normal in any professional situation. As your GP, or EAP programme if the workplace has one, to suggest someone.

Advertisement