Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garlic Time?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Is it time to harvest my garlic, I haven't a clue. I sowed 5 cloves last November and they all look like this now. First time with garlic and would appreciate advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nope, i'd leave them be till the stalks start to wilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Gosh you are fast! Thanks. I actually thought it looked a bit 'wilty' already. Do the leave/stalks go completely yellow then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ours actually fell over and started to wilt; no harm in pulling one up to see how the bulb is.

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Saw this site referenced a few days ago ...
    http://www.hoodrivergarlic.com/grow-garlic.htm

Step5:
    "...When the plant has three to four browned leaves it is ready for harvest. To avoid damaging the outer skins, always use a shovel to carefully remove the garlic bulb from the earth, don't just pull it out. Gently remove the dirt from the roots and outer skin, but don’t remove outer skin. It is best to harvest when the temperature is cool, either early morning or late evening..."

Waiting patiently to harvest my own :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Topofthehill. That site mentioned 'scapes', hadn't heard of this before, and I found a Youtube video of a nice man who is removing the scapes from his 2,000 plants. In my photo I can see a couple of scapes, so tomorrow I'll remove mine, unless someone here screams 'NO'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

Hi, removal of scape will concentrate growth in bulb, we made garlic pest yesterday with 10 scapes, well worth a try, google for recipe

Advertisement