Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wifi connection question

Options
  • 09-07-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm not totally au fait with wifi, so please forgive me.
    My dad currently has broadband with UPC but it's not wireless. Can I just buy a wireless modem and plug the cables etc into the new box, or do I have to change via UPC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Lynfo wrote: »
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm not totally au fait with wifi, so please forgive me.
    My dad currently has broadband with UPC but it's not wireless. Can I just buy a wireless modem and plug the cables etc into the new box, or do I have to change via UPC?

should be able to buy a wireless access point and plug it into the upc box with ethernet cable.
    be sure to set the security settings on it though or youll give free wifi to strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

That's great Hijpo, thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you sure its not wireless? What is the model no of the modem? What speed is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Does it have antenna, or little sticky uppy plastic pole things, at the back of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If its an ambit, Motorola or scientific Atlanta then it's not wireless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement