Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a wooden garden shed be taken apart to be reused?

• 09-07-2012 9:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can an 8 x 4 wooden garden shed be easily taken apart to be rebuilt/reused in another garden?

Has anyone done this themselves?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yep they usually can be, have known quite a few people who have done it.

If it was nailed together I would probably use screws when re assembling..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yep they usually can be, have known quite a few people who have done it.

If it was nailed together I would probably use screws when re assembling..

The shed has a few lengths of roof felt tacked onto it as a covering.

Am I right in saying,that these need to come off 1st,in order to take the wooden roof of the shed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I just dismantled a shed like that a few weeks back, 8 x 6 foot.

I took off the middle strip of felt first,
    The way mine was assembled I pushed and levered out the piece with the door, then lifted out the roof pieces levering them out with a screw driver and crowbar one at a time and supporting them, then the remaining sides.

I had a look from the inside to see which way it was assembled and just went in reverse.

I didnt do too much damage disassembling it, only slight where I had to lever it, Its probably possible for one to do but I think much easier for two people I think, one holding a panel while the other prys it apart.

edit, i should say, when I dismantled mine, it didnt appear in as good condition as the one from your pictures. The central piece of felt ripped slightly at the screws, with few of the screws already coming out, if I had wanted to put it back together, I would say I'd have to get a tin of tar to re seal under the join where the central piece of felt overlaps the outer ones.

Merch wrote: »
    I just dismantled a shed like that a few weeks back, 8 x 6 foot.

I took off the middle strip of felt first,
    The way mine was assembled I pushed and levered out the piece with the door, then lifted out the roof pieces levering them out with a screw driver and crowbar one at a time and supporting them, then the remaining sides.

I didnt do too much damage disassembling it, only slight where I had to lever it, Its probably possible for one to do but I think much easier for two people I think, one holding a panel while the other prys it apart.

We have a few long gorrilla/pry bars (bought in Lidl) and and a few claw hammers.

So heres hoping.

The shed has a a strip of roof felt thats bang on in the middle,as like with your shed

So if we just take that niddle bit of roof felt off,then that will be enough,you rekon??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd say they are mostly similar, likely two side pieces are nailed onto the base then the door and back pieces are nailed to them, then roof and central piece of felt.

In the second image you posted, the pieces of wood that form the apex over the door (and on the opposite end too), that hold the edges of the felt down, start by removing them, then the central piece of felt.

I found a largish screwdriver handy for starting to open up a space by tapping it in before the pry bar.

If you're careful and take your time I'd say its possible to remove the central piece of felt without damaging it if you take your time, mine was older and more weathered and it ripped a bit when I took it down as I didnt support the weight of it properly.
    If I wanted to keep it well, maybe rolling it up from one side over the apex to the other (not front to back) as you take it off might help it support its own weight without tearing as it'd be in a roll and two people could carry it away.

After that its looking inside to see what would come out first easier, I kinda just went at it, no pics till days later and it was all piled up.
    I'm trying to remember, I said i pushed the door side out first, but, actually, I think i just pryed and pushed the roof up a bit first, then pushed the door panel away a little so i could work on the roof first.

Wish I took pics along the way, but it was just me and a helper who I was directing to do what I needed.

I hope that makes sense, i'm not always good at putting across what i mean.pm if you need.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I'd say they are mostly similar, likely two side pieces are nailed onto the base then the door and back pieces are nailed to them, then roof and central piece of felt.

In the second image you posted, the pieces of wood that form the apex over the door (and on the opposite end too), that hold the edges of the felt down, start by removing them, then the central piece of felt.

I found a largish screwdriver handy for starting to open up a space by tapping it in before the pry bar.

If you're careful and take your time I'd say its possible to remove the central piece of felt without damaging it if you take your time, mine was older and more weathered and it ripped a bit when I took it down as I didnt support the weight of it properly.
    If I wanted to keep it well, maybe rolling it up from one side over the apex to the other (not front to back) as you take it off might help it support its own weight without tearing as it'd be in a roll and two people could carry it away.

After that its looking inside to see what would come out first easier, I kinda just went at it, no pics till days later and it was all piled up.
    I'm trying to remember, I said i pushed the door side out first, but, actually, I think i just pryed and pushed the roof up a bit first, then pushed the door panel away a little so i could work on the roof first.

Wish I took pics along the way, but it was just me and a helper who I was directing to do what I needed.

I hope that makes sense, i'm not always good at putting across what i mean.pm if you need.

Im sure I wil have my camera at the ready when we get around to tackling it........you know me and taking pics;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can an 8 x 4 wooden garden shed be easily taken apart to be rebuilt/reused in another garden?

Has anyone done this themselves?

Keep us updated Paddy may have to do this meself:cool:

Keep us updated Paddy may have to do this meself:cool:

I will do.:)

Well as prommised,an update for you.

My mate and myself took the shed apart today.

Well he did the hard work,and I took the pics.:D

Anyway,the shed is held together in various places with 75mm nails.

Off comes the top/middlepiece of roof felt,by using a claw hammer to remove the roof tacks.

Then a pry bar is used to pry up and off the top part of the roof.

Then the bottom sides of the roof are pryed off where they are nailed to the sides of the shed.

The front,side and back shed panels are all nailed into one another,and also nailed into the shed base too.

The front/door of the shed is then pryed away from each of the sides and also pryed up off the base.

Then the back of the shed is pryed off and up.

Then pry up both sides off the base...and thats it.

Job done.

One shed taken apart and ready to go to a new home/garden.:)

Last few pictures of the process.:)

Going to sit back and enjoy a beer now.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Excellent!!

Advertisement