Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to volunteer with children/ young adults: suggestions

• 09-07-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hi all

I will be starting the PDE soon and depending on my work schedule throughout the year I would love to get involved in volunteering with children and young adults. there is a youth club in my area which i might look into, but I would like to get involved with people perhaps in non mainstream education.

Does anyone have any suggestions of organisations what I could look into?

i'm also going to look into youthreach.

to add: I have a humanities degree, 2 years experience of working in a school abroad.

any suggestions would be welcomed

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Hey Maggie,

SVP do grinds and homework clubs and stuff in Dublin. I see you're in Cork, so I'm sure they have something of the sort there.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

ooh great, thanks I will look into them in the coming weeks.
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

www.citywise.ie

They run tons of different programmes for kids in Jobstown of all ages. A lot of primary school stuff but they also run a programme called Mid-School which is for Junior Cert kids who are outside the general education system.

I did a jobsbridge internship there when I couldn't find work and it ended up helping me get hours in a school. Its all volunteer and charity funded, no government funding. Worth looking into if you want experience, and it definitely is experience as these kids aren't exactly easy to teach!

Edit: Just realised you are in Cork so probably not much use to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey Tvnuts.. thanks for that though.

keep the suggestions coming

Advertisement