Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a birth

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

not sure if this is the right forum....

i had my baby on thur, and was released sat morn...it was a quick release as in one of the nurses cut the tag asked was he my 1st i said no, she said thats fine off u go, now i need to register him, i was told i have to wait 14days is this right ? and i got no forms from the hospital to bring with me to register? do i just go down with our forms of id and my marriage cert as we were married abroad i remember that from my daughter, cant remember forms, can someone advise?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You filled in a form in the hospital. This preliminary information is sent to the registration crowd, it could take the 14 days to get there (don't ask me why). Then, when you turn up with your ids and the marriage cert, you just confirm that the info is correct and sign.

It's also a good idea to get two copies of the cert, you never know when you might need it and it's hassle to get a second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No forms needed, wait the 14 days and go to your local registrars office (if you're in Dublin please note the office in Coolock beside Northside Shopping Centre no longer does registrations ).

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

thanks guys, didnt fill forms out at the hosp just went in , in the throws of labour , had him and was released a day later ...will hang on the 14days so and take it from there wasnt to sure & couldnt remember what we did on my daughter as i was nearly housebound for a good while after having her, and again my hubby got time off work etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I didn't fill out forms either, the hospital filled them out assuming none of my details had changed from when I initially registered with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A midwife/nurse came to my bed and asked me a few questions. She said it was for registering the birth, I assume the hospital part, and also said to wait 14 days for their form to be processed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I never filled in any forms either in the hosp. If you were married in Ireland you don't need your marriage cert. If you have it to hand bring it anyway, but don't stress yourself out looking for it if you don't have it in a safe place like me ;)

Eek, almost forgot..congratulations! Hope you're both doing well xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Congrats Playbunny!

My little fella was in Special Care so I was never at my bed when the nurses etc would come round so I wasn't there when the came round about registering the birth but they obviously didn't need me as I rang the Births, Deaths & Marraiges place 10 days after I got home, gave J's date of birth & where he was born & they were able to tell me if the forms where sent in & if I was then able to do my part of the registering. So maybe ring before you make a wasted trip :-)

thanks guys :) , im just a little to organised lol...will wait the 14days but will ring them 1st,

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

hope it is ok to hijack this thread rather than open a new one, my question is when registering the birth of a baby, does the form offer the option to give the Irish name and the anglicised version?

• Advertisement

xiwang wrote: »
    hope it is ok to hijack this thread rather than open a new one, my question is when registering the birth of a baby, does the form offer the option to give the Irish name and the anglicised version?

As far as i can remember it just stated : name of child

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No we registered them as gaeilge but put down my husbands name as a b also known as c which was the Irish for b.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No we registered them as gaeilge but put down my husbands name as a b also known as c which was the Irish for b.

Thanks Moonbeam, not sure if I understand this correctly, you registered them as gaeilge or did you put in different versions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nope as gaeilge but put down the english and irish versions of their dads name . So A. English also known as A.irish.

Thanks I understand it now, that is a good idea!

Advertisement