Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting for Documentary

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a simple, reasonably portable setup to light documentary interviews. I have a vague memory of seeing a setup for around €150, I thought being talked about here but I can't find it when I search.

Just something that will highlight the subject, particularly for indoors and low light. I'll admit in advance, lighting is totally new to me beyond using a reflector, so any and all advice about what works best for an interview would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've bought sets of lights from backdropsource.co.uk. I would guess the cheap one is just made from lighter materials than the more expensive one. The thing about the cheap ones is they will do the job but you have to mind them, they're very easy to break.

I'm not overly worried about damaging them, they won't be used that much, just for the occasional interview - that's why I'm trying to spend as little as possible really.

I was even considering something like one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-ML360-Midi-36LED-Panel/dp/B00593VEM6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342190602&sr=1-2

It's only to light head and shoulders and maybe the occasional object against a bright background. Would I be better off with a pair of proper lights though?

I'm not overly worried about damaging them, they won't be used that much, just for the occasional interview - that's why I'm trying to spend as little as possible really.

I was even considering something like one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-ML360-Midi-36LED-Panel/dp/B00593VEM6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342190602&sr=1-2

It's only to light head and shoulders and maybe the occasional object against a bright background. Would I be better off with a pair of proper lights though?
    You know something like the Manfrotto might not be too bad for what your planning and of course there's the quality of Manfrotto stuff that makes buying them much easier.

Those softboxes are quiet large and throw off a good bit of light. If the setting is to small you could end up with some pretty harsh shadows. I think they're more for a studio setting where you can use a combination of these lights to get everything lit right without horrible shadows. You also have to dissemble and reassemble the softboxes everywhere you go so your looking at a good 10-15 minutes of setup before you can shot anything. Plus the bulbs are expensive and it can be very easy for the lights to fall over and smash the bulbs.

Think the manfrotto would suit me perfectly then, cheers

• Advertisement

Think the manfrotto would suit me perfectly then, cheers
    Would be interested to hear what you think of it if you do buy one.

Ordered one over the weekend so I'll report back once I've tried it out.

Took a few weeks to actually get a proper test with the light, it's excellent for fill light with sunlight on the other side.

I used it in a workshop today with semi-opaque roof panels, so it was a bit dull unless I was near those. For products and head and shoulders shots (today was an ad/interview) it was perfect, only fell down when I tried to light the entire back wall from about 1.5 metres away. It was ok, but not powerful enough. It does exactly what I bought it for though, interview fill and close-up lighting.

Cheers for the help Scumlord.

(Seems like an insult!)

Cheers for the help Scumlord.

(Seems like an insult!)
    The lord bit makes it all ok. :D

Sounds like a good bit of kit, will ad it to the wishlist.

Advertisement