Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with my gym

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I'm currently having some on going issues with my gym and I was looking for some impartial advice/opinions on my situation. I read the charter so I'll try not to turn it into a sob story.

Okay I've been a member of this gym for over 5 years and everything had been great until new management took over at the start of this year.

I've never had any issues in the gym before but in the last six months lots of issues have arisen and I was wondering are/were my consumer rights been violated?

Firstly I signed up for a new membership earlier this year at the same rate as previous years but was told a few weeks later that there had been a mistake regarding the price so my current membership was terminated and I was forced to sign up for a new membership at an increased price. I tried to argue my situation but I was told that the membership was not a contract and I was free to break it at anytime as long as I give adequate notice and they could do likewise.

Secondly I was notified over the phone that I owned two months worth of fees stemming back to last year from Direct Debits that never went through. I'll admit that I occasionally miss a payment due to it coming out of my account right before pay day but I'd always pay them cash straight away to balance my account. I also always get receipts for cash payments but since it was so long ago I cannot find the receipts therefore I have no proof of paying the cash so I'll have to scratch that one even though I am 99% sure that I was fully paid up and always have been.

Finally I was refused admission recently because I did not have my membership card on me and even though I have been a fully paid member since 2007 and I was not allowed on the premises and was turned away in front of other customers. This has never happened to me before and even when I lost my card and was waiting on a replacement I have never been refused entry.

I'm not sure where I stand here. I was planning to report the gym to either the NCA or CAI but I'm not sure how to go about it or even if I have plausible case to complain about. Any sort of advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Vote with your feet and find another gym. If enough people do the same you'll have new new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm currently in the process of doing so but it's not as easy as it might sound as I've got a great rapport with other gym members that I've trained along side for over 5 years now. It's going to be very difficult to settle into another gym after such along time and without any training partners.

The new management has really brought the place to it's knees and there has been a few customer complaints already (fallen on deaf ears) and even some staff have walked. That said they must be doing something right if they're still in charge, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Raekwon wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of doing so but it's not as easy as it might sound as I've got a great rapport with other gym members that I've trained along side for over 5 years now. It's going to be very difficult to settle into another gym after such along time and without any training partners.

The new management has really brought the place to it's knees and there has been a few customer complaints already (fallen on deaf ears) and even some staff have walked. That said they must be doing something right if they're still in charge, right?
    They are doing everything wrong but you and other customers who don't jump ship are keeping them in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why not engage some of the other members in conversations about where you might move to as a group?

Very true and I will be leaving especially after the way I was treated recently but I've paid up for this month so I'm going to get my moneys worth at the very least.

So does anyone think that this issue is worth complaining about? I kind of want to go down with a fight stead of letting these people push me out of a place that I've spend a large part of my life regularly frequenting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Very true and I will be leaving especially after the way I was treated recently but I've paid up for this month so I'm going to get my moneys worth at the very least.

So does anyone think that this issue is worth complaining about? I kind of want to go down with a fight stead of letting these people push me out of a place that I've spend a large part of my life regularly frequenting.
    They will most likely tell you that you cant leave as you are tied into a 12 month contract, but they have told you this is not the case but do you have this in writing from them?

I don't have it in writing, it was just verbal. I filled in the membership form that they gave me and they setup a new Direct Debit and gave me a new card.

Anyway how can they hold me to a 12 month contract when they broke the original contract so easily when they increased the fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No point in complaining to the management. But if you can find the owners, should be listed on the CRO site, and write them a letter outlining your concerns as a long standing member who is being forced to move it may do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyway how can they hold me to a 12 month contract when they broke the original contract so easily when they increased the fees?
    Give your 30 days notice that you're quitting. If they mention the 12 month contract, ensure you tell your bank to stop the Direct Debit on their side from X date to ensure they don't get any more money when you leave the place.

Heck, tell the bank anyway, to make sure they don't "accidentally" take money out regardless.

I can't find them on the CRO site so I think I'll write to the NCA and see what they say. I definitely want to make a complaint though, the more people that complain the greater the chance that something might be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement