Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for custom fitted alcove cabinets.

Options
  • 10-07-2012 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm based in Dublin and I'm looking for someone to make 2 cabinets to fit either side of a chimney breast.

I'd like the main body to be white veneered MDF and the top to be solid wood.
    I would like to have doors I can use remotes through for the sound system etc. Maybe frosted glass or something.
    I would also like them to be backless, for cable management.

The dimensions are:

First cabinet: 141cm wide, 55cm deep, 100cm high

Second: 127cm wide, 55cm deep, 100cm high

Can anyone here recommend someone? I have a quote for 700 euro a piece, but that was the first quote I got, and I'd like to shop around first before making a decision.

Thanks!
    Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I'm based in Dublin and I'm looking for someone to make 2 cabinets to fit either side of a chimney breast.

I'd like the main body to be white veneered MDF and the top to be solid wood.
    I would like to have doors I can use remotes through for the sound system etc. Maybe frosted glass or something.
    I would also like them to be backless, for cable management.

The dimensions are:

First cabinet: 141cm wide, 55cm deep, 100cm high

Second: 127cm wide, 55cm deep, 100cm high

Can anyone here recommend someone? I have a quote for 700 euro a piece, but that was the first quote I got, and I'd like to shop around first before making a decision.

Thanks!
    Jonathan

€700 for each piece? As in €700 for the bottom and €700 for the top? So a total of €2800 for both alcoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Oh god no! 700 for each cabinet!

1400 in total!

Oh god no! 700 for each cabinet!

1400 in total!

Oh right I see. Well in that case it's not that expensive to be honest. Doors with glass could cost the best part of €80 - €100 each if not more depending in the door style, glass type etc.

What solid wood do you want for the top of the cabinets?

Oh right I see. Well in that case it's not that expensive to be honest. Doors with glass could cost the best part of €80 - €100 each if not more depending in the door style, glass type etc.

What solid wood do you want for the top of the cabinets?

I'm not really sure. I have light oak floors, but I think I'd want something warmer for the tops of the cabinets. Nothing mad mad pricey either though.

I was hoping to get some advice from whoever is going to do it to be honest!

How about cherry or walnut?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

seems like a reasonable price.
    you can get a remote eye which looks something like an L.E.D. fitted descretly into the unit so that you dont need glass doors ( if you want). It just sends info (or whatever) into unit so that doors dont need to be opened.
    A wood i like put against white or cream is Elm. when finished up gives a nice contrast, yet warm.

I must say I like the elm a lot, but I think cherry is the winner! Definitely has the warmth I'm looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Do you mind me asking if those quotes included the units to be painted?
    I'm thinking of getting an alcove unit custom built in my own house and have been doing a bit of looking online recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting an alcove unit custom built in my own house and have been doing a bit of looking online recently.

cherry and cream works well together is striking,but think of the rest of the room and make sure it blends in .
    think of storage within the unit make it work for you.
    cream painted door frames and wood panel field looks good .use burr wood for panel for extra detail.
    made a concave corner unit in a kitchen like this you can see it at
    www.johwoodcraft.com some other units there as well.:)

Heroditas wrote: »

In the end, I went with Kitchen/Bedroom Elegance. My builder put me on to them for my kitchen and recommended I go with them for this too. Got the 2 units made and fitted for 1100. I ended up going for an MDF trellis door (like a radiator cover) which is perfect for the AV equipment, remote and ventilation wise (I've got a computer in there too).

They were great! I went out to talk to them about exactly how I wanted them done. Height adjustable shelves, oak top, with a trellis on the back of the top for more ventilation. I also got them to make them backless because the sockets are behind them. That made it perfect for cable management too, since the shelves left enough of a gap behind to drop the cables down the back of them.

The units are essentially like kitchen units really, with white veneered MDF. So they didn't need to be painted. They also have a really nice finish to them, and feel very solid. I'd definitely recommend them.

I'll post pictures when I can!

• Advertisement
Advertisement